Infotainment Redesign Coming -- via updated software or hardware?

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Is it me or is that type way too small to be read at a glance? Yes, I'm not a spring chicken.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
OP
OP
jmatero

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
So the F150 Lightning doesn’t get a “birds-eye” view like we do?
Yes it does... and it's much larger and on the bottom half of the screen with front/rear cam up top in line of sight. Also looks like they gained more room by nixing the menu bar when the cam is on. Pretty certain this will move to the MME via update.

MME:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Infotainment Redesign Coming -- via updated software or hardware? Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 10.57.45 AM

Lightning:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Infotainment Redesign Coming -- via updated software or hardware? Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 10.56.44 AM

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Yes it does... and it's much larger and on the bottom half of the screen with front/rear cam up top in line of sight. Also looks like they gained more room by nixing the menu bar when the cam is on. Pretty certain this will move to the MME via update.

MME:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Infotainment Redesign Coming -- via updated software or hardware? Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 10.56.44 AM

Cool! That’s much better. I like that!

OnceYouGo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD, Job 1
Country flag
Still not quite right. Needs the next turn (if you're using navigation) and the distance to that turn.
The polestar does, it pops in the center. I wasn't running any directions so no turns to show.

Kind of like what's pictured, except the image is of reaching the destination. Replace it with arrows just like the MME.

2022-polestar-2-single-motor_100805915_m.jpg

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I'm currently driving my dealership's F-150L demo. Unfortunately, it's an XLT, not a Lariat, so it has the built-in horizontal screen not the vertical screen. Horizontal is horrible, the keyboard covers the destination prompts when using navigation. Reaction is slow, and I also found that AC, while driving in 80 degree weather, was ineffective unless I put it into Max AC mode. And no sun was on the vehicle.

Nice ride though, much less bouncy than the Mach-E. Acceleration was very fast. I did notice that at 75 I don't feel like I'm going 75. Took it up over 100 and even that doesn't feel it. Much more noticeable in the Mach-E.

No idea when I will be able to order mine, if I choose to. Today I will try and fit it in the garage to verify, then some final driving before returning it and picking up our recall-updated 2022 Mach-E.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Sounds about correct since Polestar is owned by a company based in China, and the car is built in a factory in China.

What is the Chinese parts content on the Polestar? I've heard 99%, but I (oddly) can't find an image of a Polestar monroney anywhere.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Well it could be an abbreviation for Quantum Field Theory. But it’s pretty safe to assume that all I know about that is that there is such a thing.

In this case though …

Ford Mustang Mach-E Infotainment Redesign Coming -- via updated software or hardware? 2022-polestar-2-single-motor_100805915_m
Questionable friggin truth?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach E AWD
Country flag
I think the biggest issue I had with the original design was crowding the top of the screen with lots of buttons. It might have looked something like this...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Infotainment Redesign Coming -- via updated software or hardware? 2022-polestar-2-single-motor_100805915_m

Currently playing is also one of the things added to sync, not the IPC however. There should also be a persistent app bar, sticky navigation to the top etc.
I think Ford needs to remove the radio buttons, and make everything slider toggles for on/off true/false. Can't stand that the current UI mixes them up.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach E AWD
Country flag
My guess would be that the main screen is dedicated towards items that are easily accessible while operating the vehicle. The NHTSA has strict guidelines about how long someone can be looking at anything other than the road while the vehicle is in motion. Vehicle UI Designs have to take this into consideration.

Max defrost, while maybe you and I won't need to use it often, other's might and not being able to see out of a frosted window, would be dangerous. So, it's something that's available on the home screen for good reason. Opening a trunk/frunk is not something that needs to be done while in motion or while attention should be dedicated to the road, therefore it's put in a secondary menu. While this can be a PITA, it's prioritizing things for safety reasons.

I believe, as Hunting posted above, that it should be a physical button only accessible to the driver. I think Ford missed the mark on that one. There are threads on how to add that button, but we will also be getting a TSB to replace it at some point for that entire headlight control unit so I probably wouldn't mess with it until after.
There is already a physical button for max defrost. Why does there need to be a software display button for it too?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
There is already a physical button for max defrost. Why does there need to be a software display button for it too?
Not all the MMEs have a physical max defrost.