Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
With all the other review vids out there today, this one is a bit different, more focused, and perhaps overlooked. Good demonstration, and talks about charging rate.

"The Mach-E pulled 150 kW as soon as we plugged in at 43% state of charge. However, it didn't last long and after only two minutes the charge rate was slightly under 100 kW."

https://insideevs.com/news/460304/ford-mustang-mach-e-plugcharge/

EDIT: Found the 4ish minutes long video directly on youtube
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Kyle (he did the Inside EVs video), talks a lot about that in the Q&A I did with him. (We also covered a lot of other stuff.)

Start at about the 27:50 mark for the charging discussion with Kyle.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Nice, I gotta see that later for more in depth details it seems.

Found the 4ish minutes long video on youtube of the Plug&Charge demo:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On one hand, I look at Plug&Charge as a pretty minor thing. Sure, even little convenience helps, but compared to a 20-40 minute charge time, worrying about 30 seconds seems pretty silly.

But OTOH, there is a cumulative effect. Everything they can do to help shorten the TOTAL time of each road trip charging stop helps, when they're so much longer than what people are used to with a gas refuel.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Nice, I gotta see that later for more in depth details it seems.

Found the 4ish minutes long video on youtube of the Plug&Charge demo:

Really glad to see an actual charging session. I know it's preproduction and may change, and only anecdotal, but still.

Interesting how it starts out high for just a minute before dropping. But it's still a decent rate. The 85-105 kW area is still pretty strong through that part of the curve.

Totally unexpected was the plummet to 12 kW at 80%. It's like they REALLY want you to get off the charger by 80%. Like, REALLY. I expected a drop to 50 kW there, maybe 25. But 12??

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Really glad to see an actual charging session. I know it's preproduction and may change, and only anecdotal, but still.

Interesting how it starts out high for just a minute before dropping. But it's still a decent rate. The 85-105 kW area is still pretty strong through that part of the curve.

Totally unexpected was the plummet to 12 kW at 80%. It's like they REALLY want you to get off the charger by 80%. Like, REALLY. I expected a drop to 50 kW there, maybe 25. But 12??
Agree - the 12-15kW figure really shocked me.

OP
OP
Nav

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag

Yeah, seriously, what about road trips where you want to charge past 80% and not wait around at 12 kW?? Had to watch that part again, wasn't clear at first if he said that was because of the "free" charges, or this would be the case always even if we were just paying for it on our own at an EA station. We should be able to select an option or override if we want to try and charge closer to 100%.

I wonder how it will do at the 50kW stations. Hopefully charges very close to, and keeps that rate up to 80%. No experience with EVs yet, but my rudimentary logic tells me if it can do >70kW for the majority of time at a 150kW station, then it should be able to do a full 50kW for all of it at the lower powered stations.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, it really looks like Ford needs to modify the charging software and hopefully will do so before ours arrive. I want DCFC to stay fast, not drop below 100 kW.

However, it was great to see the plug and charge work as planned!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I think the biggest thing about the initial 150kW is that he plugged it in with 43% battery full. I want to see it at 10%.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag

The commentator mentions that this is likely due to the fact that this Plug & Charge session is using the free 250kw that comes with the car - and maybe Ford/EA really doesn't want you eating that up past 80%? Not sure though...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The commentator mentions that this is likely due to the fact that this Plug & Charge session is using the free 250kw that comes with the car - and maybe Ford/EA really doesn't want you eating that up past 80%? Not sure though...
That didn't make any sense to me. Not even sure if that's what the really meant.

I really doubt EA programs the charger to base charging speed on how many free credits are in the account.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think the biggest thing about the initial 150kW is that he plugged it in with 43% battery full. I want to see it at 10%.
Kyle's video did that. I think he started at like 7%. Did the same thing... Stayed at 163 kW for maybe a minute.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, seriously, what about road trips where you want to charge past 80% and not wait around at 12 kW?? Had to watch that part again, wasn't clear at first if he said that was because of the "free" charges, or this would be the case always even if we were just paying for it on our own at an EA station. We should be able to select an option or override if we want to try and charge closer to 100%.

I wonder how it will do at the 50kW stations. Hopefully charges very close to, and keeps that rate up to 80%. No experience with EVs yet, but my rudimentary logic tells me if it can do >70kW for the majority of time at a 150kW station, then it should be able to do a full 50kW for all of it at the lower powered stations.
I guess there's one side effect... No one should incur idle charges. Gotta take over an hour for that last 20%.

But I hate that, as it could mean people hogging the charger.

Reactions: Nav

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I guess there's one side effect... No one should incur idle charges. Gotta take over an hour for that last 20%.

But I hate that, as it could mean people hogging the charger.
Typically that is why you find Level-2's nearby DCFC's: Because when you get to the 80% level it is often better to move to a Level-2 as it will charge at the constant rate where the DCFC will continue to taper below what the local Level-2 will deliver (and the local Level-2 will likely cost less than the DCFC for that last 20%).

Yeah this isn't ideal but it works (and you free up the DCFC for someone else).
Sponsored