Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh it includes a slice at 80 MPH, sure, as well as a bunch of slices at lower speeds, for a worthless average of 48 MPH that they call "highway".

If their highway number were actually based on the 80 MPH number rather than 48, then it would be worth something.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mildly interesting, I guess, but mostly useless for what most people care about (realistic range on road trips at interstate speeds).

Existing EV drivers probably care about EV to EV comparison, but that's 2% of the US market. The other 98% (if they're interested in BEV at all) wanna know how far they can drive a BEV on a road trip before having to stop for looong refuels. Since that's the biggest challenge vs ICE.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I'm not talking about the EPA tests with a 48mph average tests with multiple stops. That's public knowledge for all vehicles.

I personally don't stop multiple times on the freeway during a 10 mile trip. I'm looking for something simple, like constant 70mph. I would find it near impossible that Tesla didn't take a car into the lab, and run it at constant 70mph, and see how far it went.

Other companies have done this with Teslas. They know how far they will go. So does Tesla. I'm sure they will find the "third party" results highly amusing.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not talking about the EPA tests with a 48mph average tests with multiple stops. That's public knowledge for all vehicles.

I personally don't stop multiple times on the freeway during a 10 mile trip. I'm looking for something simple, like constant 70mph. I would find it near impossible that Tesla didn't take a car into the lab, and run it at constant 70mph, and see how far it went.

Other companies have done this with Teslas. They know how far they will go. So does Tesla. I'm sure they will find the "third party" results highly amusing.
Insideevs has been doing 70 mile range tests for a while now, including the Y, 3, Kona, and Bolt. The 3 and Y did pretty well, IIRC. Perhaps you have information about how well the Mach E will do on a similar test that you'd like to share?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I guess you missed the point that the EPA testing is not at a constant speed but at varying speeds, with the average being 48 MPH? Thus the reason he wants to see a simple constant 70 MPH test.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And that's our point, that the EPA numbers are nearly useless for what most people actually care about.

It would be WAY more useful if EPA published a constant 70 MPH range (or mileage) number for BEVs.

In the absence of a useful EPA number, we have to wait for independent testers do their own tests.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
Wow. Maybe you should sign up for high school english class. Or better yet, look up "Sell" in the Oxford Language dictionary. Here's the number one definition listed there:

give or hand over (something) in exchange for money.
"they had sold the car"

I guess when you pretend to own a car you've never driven you feel comfortable making other ridiculous statements.

Wow again. So, you have access to Tesla's financials? Really? And Tesla can't build a $35K model? Really? That will come as a huge surprise to all of the people who have bought one.

LOL. You love to post stuff you read online but don't really understand. So, no heat pump for Tesla, hmmm? "Any model", your words. Really? Care to back track on that? LOL No lane keeping? Really? I guess that's an elf nudging me back in my lane if I drift? LOL

I'll admit I can't speak to the Kona. I hope it's a great car; I want to see more great EVs. I can speak to the range on my Model Y and Model 3. I pretty much get the EPA range if I drive at 60 mph. 70mph see's about a 10% hit. 80mph sees almost a 30% hit. 50 mph and I can beat EPA range by 10%. Headwinds and tailwinds make a big difference too.
Sponsored

Last edited: