Is the Mach-E really 7 years behind Tesla?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What's missing from this conversation is that (depending upon which European country we're talking about) countries have mandated reduction of ICE vehicles. UK will outlaw them altogether after 2035.
I take those future government targets with a grain of salt. Reality will dictate whether they really hold to those or not in 15 years. Until then, they're little more than goals and wishes.

Small European countries might be able to get away with it. There will be lots of BEV models available in 5 years, maybe enough that country of 5 or 10 million can shop entirely from those and not need any ICE personal cars. While big countries like the US continue to offer choice to their citizens.

BEVs may be able to carry the full load in some of those countries simply because some are small enough and (mostly) landlocked, such that 200-300 miles is all one can realistically drive in a day anyway. The same could probably be said for Hawaii, for instance. That's a perfect place for a 250 mile range BEV.
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
With the S I just sit in the car and put it in neutral. No issues. I've done that at several car washes. At least in my area, they know I need to sit in the car as it goes through, so there's no problems.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
With the S I just sit in the car and put it in neutral. No issues. I've done that at several car washes. At least in my area, they know I need to sit in the car as it goes through, so there's no problems.
In my Bolt I've been able to put it in L (one pedal mode) and regen through the car wash ;) (have to go to N first otherwise the car freaks out and puts the E-Brake on LOL)

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
It isn't what I "think". It is a simple fact, not an opinion. Try 11.5 Kw for the 3, the Y and the Mach-e. And it's kw, not kwh. Kw is for charging rate. Kwh is storage capacity.

Jeez, another swing and a miss. How many misses is that now? Again, for someone that claims to own a Model 3 you seem to be very ignorant about it. I forgot to bring my 3 in last night. 34F. It's happily charging outside right now and drawing--you guessed it--the full 48 amps, or 11.5 kw. 44 mph. Yes, max charging rate drops in cold weather. But one little tidbit of information you'd know if you owned an EV is that L2 charging is barely affected until you get much colder. Why? Because L2 charging is nowhere near the max rate, so the drop barely affects it. I've not had it in in 20 degree and colder weather, so I can't speak to that. Unlike others, I don't claim experience that I don't have.

You say that like it's a fact. Like you do with all of your opinions. Try adding IMO. Certainly adding IMHO wouldn't be exactly truthful it seems. I agree that L3 is critical for EV adoption. I disagree that there is no place for public L2 charging. If you'd ever driven an EV, you'd understand that. One look at a Plugshare map gives my opinion strength. Great it's your uninformed opinion, you're welcome to it. Acting like your opinion is fact just makes you look like someone most don't suffer well.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
L1 and L2 are for home charging. Public needs to be L3 or DC fast to be practical for mass adoption of EV’s.
At actual public retail charging stations, yes. Like EA.

But L2 is a very appropriate target for "private" charging. And private charging includes more than just homes. Homes will be the biggest share, of course (especially in the early wave). But it's not just that. Many apartments will have private L2 charging. Many workplaces will have it. Many hotels will have it. Those are all appropriate places where people spend many hours parked, where their customers/residents/employees will use it. Not open to the general public, but for private use for the people they authorize.

We shouldn't underplay the roll of L2 charging. It's needed for the mass adoption of EVs, because most people won't put up with sitting around waiting on a 30 minute refuel on a frequent basis. What many WILL put up with though is taking 30 seconds to plug in when they get home, or to work, or to their hotel. And then another 30 seconds to unplug when they leave hours later.

Last edited:

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Nak, what are you even talking about? You put the car in neutral going through the wash.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But that isn't the goal of most L2 charging. It's targeted at the "charge the car while it's parked for hours" model. Not the high traffic "filling station" model.

Somewhere like a home, or an apartment complex, or an office building, or a hotel, isn't usually going to want to turn themselves into a high traffic public charging service. That's what EA does, or Tesla SC's do. Apartments/office buildings/hotels will be looking just to provide a value-added feature for their own customers (or employees). Than means cheaper chargers that their customers/employees can just plug into when they arrive and unplug when the leave hours later. That's L2.

Nak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Tesla Model 3, 1992 K1500 Blazer
Country flag
LOL, you make it sound like it's an option. yeah, if you had a 3, you'd be concerned about it's charging rate, not some theoretical maximum. Just more proof all of your knowledge comes from the internet, not experience.
Sponsored