Level 2 EVSE Recommendations

GoodenoughIsGod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf
Country flag
I have a Wallbox Pulsar which I got installed with a Nema 14-50 socket. Currently charging my daughter's Nissan Leaf on it. Will charge my Mach E when it arrives in November from the same EVSE.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
What's wrong with using the provided Ford Plug with a 50A 240V attachment? Just need to use a garage 240v 50A appliance outlet.
Because there may be a Mach-E in the garage in less than a week, I will likely need to use the provided Ford plug to start. Wiring is done for 240, just need to add brealer and recepticle. Only issie is with leaving Ford cable in garage instead of car when out and about. What kind of control and info can I expect just using the plug. Charge status, etc. if any?

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm using the evse that came with the car and nema 14-50 plug, But the chargepoint seems to be quite popular, and if I go with one it'll probably be that one.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm using the evse that came with the car and nema 14-50 plug, But the chargepoint seems to be quite popular, and if I go with one it'll probably be that one.
What type of features or info can be obtained using the supplied charging cable. Can you get a ststus of what the charge level is from the car in the app?

Scheduling will probable be the most important. Ultimately I'd like to get somethng I can add to my smart home hub and Google assistant. It would be nice to get ststus' via voice.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What type of features or info can be obtained using the supplied charging cable. Can you get a ststus of what the charge level is from the car in the app?

Scheduling will probable be the most important. Ultimately I'd like to get somethng I can add to my smart home hub and Google assistant. It would be nice to get ststus' via voice.
the ford portable evse that comes with the car doesn't communicate data with the car or ford pass. in other words, no blue tooth link for it. You'd have to go aftermarket to get that. That said tho, you can get charge status, miles added etc thru the fordpass app.

ahawksfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am using a Juice Box 40 and am very happy with it.

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Should be picking up my Mach-E next week and am planning some garage prep for tthe long weekend. After some research, the 240 volt adapter and supplied charging cable that comes with the MME should be enough to accomplish overnight charging and scheduling non-peak hours. Charging status vis the app on phone and several displays in house should provide enough info for basic charging.

Future exploration into other smart home functions may be considered. What other features or practices would warrant a wall charger. Aside from the increase capacity/charging speed, I'mnot sure it will be worth the extra $.

MachGeo

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 AWD LR; Mach E GT (on order)
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I’m leaning towards a hardwired Chargepoint Home Flex or Wallbox…or I could just put an adapter on my Tesla hardwired L2 but I think my OCD is going to compel me to change it. ?

OP
OP

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m leaning towards a hardwired Chargepoint Home Flex or Wallbox…or I could just put an adapter on my Tesla hardwired L2 but I think my OCD is going to compel me to change it. ?
Other than a faster charging time, what feature/function does this provide over the supplied cable? Understand you already have a wall box, but curious on incentive for me to install one.

ChrisSJR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Space White RWD ER (Spark-E), 2004 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I went with the GRIZZL-E Classic dumb charger because I already had a NEMA 6-50R Plug originally for a welder, and I could get the GRIZZL-E with that plug. I plan on using the MME to control charging time and Limits.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Other than a faster charging time, what feature/function does this provide over the supplied cable? Understand you already have a wall box, but curious on incentive for me to install one.
I use the portable evse that comes with the car and nema 14-50 plug, more than meets my needs.

Depending on the aftermarket evse, these can offer more things, like they can calculate costs based on your local utilities and give you a bit more information on charging. I'm not sure what else they offer other than a higher rate of charge.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Tom tested the new Grizzl-E Smart Charger. It sounds like a good option, at a reasonable price, for those looking to buy an EVSE.

https://insideevs.com/news/530622/grizzle-smart-ev-charger-review/
I bought the Grizzl-E Smart and had it installed yesterday. That thing is very well built, both the cable and case quality are great. It’s also significantly cheaper than other smart EVSE. The only letdown is the app story at the moment. The web app (acharger.ca) they provide is like a proof of concept with limited functionality. The mobile app is Android only at the moment and from what I saw the UX could use some work.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
For those debating buying a charger, in addition to faster charging, and not having to rely on FordPass or the vehicle for scheduling, keep in mind:

- your utility company may provide a rebate, and that rebate may be restricted to specific brands and/or models.

- if you're paying to have wiring done, you get back 30% of the cost of the wiring and charger cost in a tax credit.

Therefore, the true out of pocket cost of the charger MAY be very little, or in fact a profit.

Example:

JuiceBox 48 - $639 + 6% tax = $677.34
Less $500 rebate
Less 30% tax credit of 203.20

End cost = $25.86 PROFIT
Sponsored

Last edited: