2021 MME Infinite Blue, 2018 Expedition
Country flag

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I'm surprised it's not a much more energetic and destructive fire. I wonder where they're applying the water.

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
Hopefully it's from vehicle debris

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The article says the passengers pulled over and exited safely. I am curious to hear more about that.

Did the vehicle do a SSN? Or did they smell burning chemicals?

Very happy that it was a "safe" fire as far as those go but I'm just wondering how they figured out they were in trouble.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The article says the passengers pulled over and exited safely. I am curious to hear more about that.

Did the vehicle do a SSN? Or did they smell burning chemicals?

Very happy that it was a "safe" fire as far as those go but I'm just wondering how they figured out they were in trouble.
If the battery was punctured that would cause an instant high voltage shutdown and SSN. They would have to coast to the side of the road.

In the video it doesn't look that bad, not like the whole car burned to the ground (I guess we'll find out).

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
It was bound to happen eventually. Iā€™m pretty impressed that it took over 2 years for one to have a fire incident, and this one looks extremely mild compared to most. I canā€™t think of any other EV that was on sale this long without a fire.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The dumb comments on the Twitter post are ridiculous. Car fires are far more prevalent in ICE than EVs.

ā€œA major insurance company in the United States recently conducted a study. Electric cars, according to the study, are in fact the least likely to catch fire. 25.1 out of every 100,000 electric vehicles sold caught fire. For the same number of combustion engine cars, 1,529.9 caught fire.ā€

I will say, it tends to look moreā€¦spectacular, and last a whole lot longer when an EV experiences a thermal runaway event.

Last edited:

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
I see almost no water on the ground. Maybe they havenā€™t had their EV training.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It was bound to happen eventually. Iā€™m pretty impressed that it took over 2 years for one to have a fire incident, and this one looks extremely mild compared to most. I canā€™t think of any other EV that was on sale this long without a fire.
Snow machine accidents up here hit the news. Could be a 100 people killed in car accidents that day (old news) but someone going threw the ice that will make the front page. Bet there were a few gas cars on fire this month also but that is old news.

Do gas ones catch on fire? ;) I was not too concerned about the gas ones catching an fire either. Since every electric car that catches fire most likely gets reported by the news it is nice to see the probability of the MME catching fire is low to date.
Sponsored

Attachments