katumba1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Infinite Blue, 2018 Expedition
Country flag
OP, are you able to get an update from that private first responders Facebook group you are part of? Were the firefighters sure the pack was punctured?
Nope. Everything else in the post was just more EV bashing.
Sponsored

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I look at this and say stuff happens. ICE cars catch fire too. Puncture a gas tank, have a fuel line leak, electrical shorts near plastic.... fire. 🔥 If you are old enough to have been around when mag wheels (magnesium) were put on hot rods, that was a interesting science experiment when they caught fire. Try putting that out. Water is not a good idea. Cars with gas, oil, plastic, metal, and rubber are going to burn, create toxic smoke and can be hard to put out.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Unless a report appears that shows the battery pack was actually punctured from debris, the forum administrator should probably change the title of the thread.
Feels appropriate. @Administrator

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What’s the best type fire extinguisher to carry?
Not sure it matters. A consumer extinguisher is no match for an EV battery fire. Even the pros with a full fire engine battle those for hours with little success.

Carrying your own in the car would only help for a non-battery fire.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That will not really help you. Lithium battery fires can't be stopped, you have to wait for them to finish burning for many hours. If you think you have a battery fire, try to park away from structures, get out, and call the fire department (be sure to mention you have an electric car fire). Focus on preventing collateral damage, the car will be a complete loss.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Oh look, an EV fire! Let's roast (pun intended) all EVs for being unsafe! Yeah, sure, and ignore the half a dozen or so crispy critters (aka ICE vehicles) you see on any of the numerous US interstates during a given month that have suffered a catastrophic fuel- or electrical-sourced combustion event. I will never understand those who insist on hating something just because it is different than what they consider the norm.
Glad there are still some sane people in the world (aka you folks here) who might be fascinated by a train wreck, but choose not to jump on the hate wagon. (sorry, rant over; I'll see myself out now)

HGxxx

First Name
Harish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion energi, mach e premium standard range
Country flag
I have to agree that the limited video I saw looked like a trunk fire than a battery fire, but maybe the video was in the beginning.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The reality is that in an EV there is little you're going to be able to extinguish. You have no access to the "engine compartment" because the frunk and panels block it. So, even if you could get the frunk open, an electrical fire wouldn't be exposed to you. It's unlikely that your brakes catch fire. The battery can't be put out by you, and the likelihood of a fire in the dash that you could extinguish is low.

That said, in a car you carry a dry chemical ABC or BC rated extinguisher. A is for trash, wood and paper. B is for liquids and gases. C is for electrical. I carry one in each vehicle not as much for my vehicle as for extinguishing someone else's vehicle if a life is threatened. Otherwise, stay away. Most people don't know how to properly use an extinguisher, nor fight a fire, and may cause more property damage or put a life (including theirs) in danger. You don't risk your life to save property unless you're in the business.

At $16.88, this would be my purchase - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-B...-Dry-Chemical-One-Time-Use-21030926/303196116

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Debris on the Vegas freeways? NO WAY!
Arizona is another great one for random crap on the freeways. I've thanked my lucky stars having a ladder fall off the truck in front of me on the 101 and a SOFA fall out the back of a truck a couple cars ahead of me. Oh yeah, and a 6ftx4ftx5ft DOG HOUSE fly out the back of a truck too. (I was strapped but not in a way that helped when it slid out the dropped tailgate. It was a really nice dog house too. Almost She-Shed quality. It hit the road and became 50 pieces of wood and nails.

My go to off road: https://elementfire.com/products/element-e100

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Class C - intended for electrical fires. Foam or dry to form a physical barrier preventing O2 from feeding the fire. You can get really expensive CO2 or halogen, or inexpensive A,B,C little ones that *might* be enough to do the trick.

I think with any significant battery fire is going to be really difficult to get access to the source. If this fire was indeed from a 'puncture', it might continue to arc on whatever caused the short until Energy dissipates completely, or surrounding metal melts away from the short enough it cannot arc.

$40
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-B...emical-One-Time-Use-2-Pack-21030932/303196148

I am thinking about leaving my driver's side Frunk panel off, or modify to be hinged, and mount a small Class A,B,C extinguisher in the space available in plain sight as is the access to the HV disconnect relay. It's not a bad idea to have an extinguisher in your car, especially if you live in an area prone to roadside brush fires. The trick is mounting it securely in a place you can get to it!

Last edited:

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I would have gone with "smoked salmon"...

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
What’s the bottom plate covering the battery made of? Is it just plastic? Maybe evs manufactures need to add “skid plates“ to the battery pack.
Sponsored