Mach-e dead again

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Looks like next purchase is an OBD device. Will need to learn. Any recommendations of the one I should get?
WIth OBD dongle you can even read the status of the 12v battery: state of charge SOC, battery voltage, battery age.
The state of charge hovers around 90% SOC.

I use Vgate PRO adapter and Car Scanner Elm Obd2 for ios/android. This app will let you check the parasitic drain measured while car was locked overnight (quiescent average mA).

Last edited:

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
All night in the trickle charger and it fired up like brand new. Guess it did not want me to make it home before the 6 inches of snow I woke up to and now freezing rain. We will see how it 4x4’s now I guess.
The underlying question is why is your 12v battery losing charge? Bad battery or faulty charging system?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
350 km (220 miles) from home was plugged into 120v and changed up to 100% went in to head home and errors

AWD off
Service Advance Trac
Stop Safety Now
Pre-collision Assist Not Available
Hill Side Assist Not Available
Full Accessory Power Active

Pulled the covers hooked up a 15 amp agm charger and 12 v started charging flashing between 25/50% left charging until 75/100% tried again and same errors. Put charger on 13v jump same errors. Disconnect 12v for 15 minutes hooked back up put on jump same errors. Will not go in gear and far from my dealer on a Sunday.

Appears to be the same problem as last February when it got flat bedded due to the dead 12v design error. Any suggests, help would be appreciated.
Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and the name location of your Ford dealership. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

ChargedCheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME 4XE, 2017 BMW i3 94wh
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The underlying question is why is your 12v battery losing charge? Bad battery or faulty charging system?
This. When I read your initial post, this was my immediate thought. It sounds (to me) like something else is faulty and draining your 12v battery.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Drove like a champ thru rain and white outs hovered around 0oC (32 oF).

The only think I can think of is bad 12V or one other thing. It was plugged in to a 120V at 100% and I received a FP notice of a charging fault. The charging port light ring was illuminated all red. I yanked it out and shoved it back in; seemed to be ok. Wonder if the fault caused the same problem with the contacts sticking? Wonder if the bug got slipped back in the code. The only time I remember charging faults was back in February which was also when the 12V died? Pretty sure it was dead as the 1 amp started at 25% and was at 100% when it fired up. Lot better than having to drag it to a strangers on a flat bed this time of the year.

I think next time if I get that fault I will unplug and start the vehicle. Can't hurt and will take more notice.

Will need to touch base with my service guy. Will let him know what happened.

They lost some cover pins with the few times they have had it off and I lost one so will definitely be whining about that ;). Have 2 - 2" dia plugs and I will let him know I will be core drilling access soon.

Back beside the woodstove and it feels good. After it started it ran like normal, well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e dead again Not-@-70

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What I meant was if you charge the car with a 120 volt charger the car won't charge the 12 volt battery. So if you don't drive enough the high voltage battery won't fully charge the 12 volt AGM battery. This will shorten the batteries life.
Thinking about this one a bit and this baffles me as one would think it should maintain the 12V in every state. Plugged in or not. You are telling me it does not monitor the 12V when plugged into a 120V HVB trickle charger with over 80 KWh of HVB charge? Wish Ford would come out and tell us when and how the car does maintain itself and when it does not. Would be helpful to most.

This. When I read your initial post, this was my immediate thought. It sounds (to me) like something else is faulty and draining your 12v battery.
Quite possible it was not like I was abusing it just sitting in a driveway plugged in. It informed me it is cold outside plug in. Xlch59 notes if that plug happens to be a 120V it does not maintain the 12V? Can not seem to locate all this stuff in the manual.

Appointment set up.

EVFUTURE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium SR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Thinking about this one a bit and this baffles me as one would think it should maintain the 12V in every state. Plugged in or not. You are telling me it does not monitor the 12V when plugged into a 120V HVB trickle charger with over 80 KWh of HVB charge? Wish Ford would come out and tell us when and how the car does maintain itself and when it does not. Would be helpful to most.

Quite possible it was not like I was abusing it just sitting in a driveway plugged in. It informed me it is cold outside plug in. Xlch59 notes if that plug happens to be a 120V it does not maintain the 12V? Can not seem to locate all this stuff in the manual.

Appointment set up.

So I wonder if this will create a problem for people like me, who charge with a 120V 99% of the time (I understand I am in the minority).

Please keep us updated on your findings.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So I wonder if this will create a problem for people like me, who charge with a 120V 99% of the time (I understand I am in the minority).

Please keep us updated on your findings.
You may know something before me as I use 120V charging 1% of the time. I was informed that I should get them to install the Customer Satisfaction Program 21P22 update. They noted there are some charging updates with this update. If it resolves the issue I experienced I assume they are not sure. I can not reasonably expect my local service to fix a logic problem like this and understand they must depend on Ford. I have been informed once already that the 12V drain was fixed and it was until it happen again.

Smack’s Lizzy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You may know something before me as I use 120V charging 1% of the time. I was informed that I should get them to install the Customer Satisfaction Program 21P22 update. They noted there are some charging updates with this update. If it resolves the issue I experienced I assume they are not sure. I can not reasonably expect my local service to fix a logic problem like this and understand they must depend on Ford. I have been informed once already that the 12V drain was fixed and it was until it happen again.

Smack’s Lizzy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Also received a second “12 volt battery fault” on my Mache that has been at an EV certified service dealer for over a week. Used Ford Roadside to get it there. Will call the Ford dealer and Ford Customer Service center tomorrow and ask that they have new dealership take “delivery” to assure me that all the delivery ck points are completed. I think the original dealer that took delivery did not perform the Mache delivery updates to software. This same dealership did not sign in to the Ford X plan web site to give me the X plan special offers (incentives). But that’s another issue that has been part of my Challenges of a Mache new owner.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bad 12 volt batteries are self draining. When in doubt, put in a new one.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bad 12 volt batteries are self draining. When in doubt, put in a new one.
That is an obvious check in diagnosing the problem but unfortunately not the end of the checks. I was informed last spring it was a contact issue and it was the contacts remaining closed after charging that caused the problem. That was on 240V this time 120V. It operated since then until now with the exact same procedure/trip carried out two times before (warmer) and no 12V problems. Will start carrying a volt meter in my frunk also and a few choice tools. I think the charging fault I got was the car letting me know the 12V was dying. Instead of flashing a whole bunch of generic error messages at me at least one that says 12V low would be good. I will let those that designed it figure it out but ya could be as simple as a defective 12V. Wonder if you can unbolt one side of the steel tie crosser without it spring out/shifting?

Ford portable charger, washer fluid, candles, led light, 12V charger, volt meter, tools the frunk is starting to fill up. Like the dividers. Just a minor bug but where it happened I am pushing go electric, it works, I have to say it did tick me off a bit. Fixed and out next morning ;). Helped to have seen it before. The first time it was wtf as it sure does melt down.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the same problem as the OP and Smack's Lizzy. Ford think it's a bad High Voltage Regulator, so that's getting replaced. I'm updating on this other thread: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/our-ongoing-nightmare.12075/post-299292
Thanks for the info. I read the start of that thread about Boo and Apollo but now went thru and read your posts on that thread.

You received only the stop safety now message and no others?
Are you driving when these happened or after it has sat following charging?
What is your typical charge 120 or 240V?
This happens to you regularly?

Mine was twice in 10 months. May be the same but will leave to the designers. New tech for me and it may not be the carburetor floats that is sticking? ;)
Sponsored