mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I read the start of that thread about Boo and Apollo but now went thru and read your posts on that thread.

You received only the stop safety now message and no others?
Are you driving when these happened or after it has sat following charging?
What is your typical charge 120 or 240V?
This happens to you regularly?

Mine was twice in 10 months. May be the same but will leave to the designers. New tech for me and it may not be the carburetor floats that is sticking? ;)
Brief history: had my car since Feb 2021, mostly 120v charging, with about once every week or every other week DCFC. Currently at around 14,000 miles on the odometer.

This issue happened to me once on Thanksgiving week. Parked to eat dinner, car wouldn't start. "Stop Safely Now" message with Full Accessory Power Active message. Car had 68% battery left. Had someone pick me up, came back a few hours later. Still wouldn't start, so I requested Ford roadside assistance. Towed it to the dealership. As we unloaded the car at the dealership, all the error messages were firing off. Literally every one you could think of. By the time we pushed it to the dealership gate (it was after hours), the car was so dead, the hazard lights wouldn't flash correctly, the electronic brake wouldn't engage and the driver door wouldn't lock.

They reprogrammed the entire car and recharged the 12v. Everything was back to normal.

Fast forward one week later, the car wouldn't start in the morning at home. Same problem. Car wouldn't charge either, giving the orange ring on the status lights. Car just came back the night before from a DCFC session and was at 92% charge. Back to the dealership it went.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I was informed last spring it was a contact issue and it was the contacts remaining closed after charging that caused the problem. That was on 240V this time 120V. It operated since then until now with the exact same procedure/trip carried out two times before (warmer) and no 12V problems.
This is interesting, a sticking high voltage contactor could cause the modules to fail to shut down at random times when it sticks. If it’s a mechanical issue software updates probably won’t fix it, but might improve failure behavior. Did they drop the pack and replace the contactor? It wouldn’t matter if you charged 120V or 240V, the AC charging process works the same way with either voltage.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Brief history: had my car since Feb 2021, mostly 120v charging, with about once every week or every other week DCFC. Currently at around 14,000 miles on the odometer.

This issue happened to me once on Thanksgiving week. Parked to eat dinner, car wouldn't start. "Stop Safely Now" message with Full Accessory Power Active message. Car had 68% battery left. Had someone pick me up, came back a few hours later. Still wouldn't start, so I requested Ford roadside assistance. Towed it to the dealership. As we unloaded the car at the dealership, all the error messages were firing off. Literally every one you could think of. By the time we pushed it to the dealership gate (it was after hours), the car was so dead, the hazard lights wouldn't flash correctly, the electronic brake wouldn't engage and the driver door wouldn't lock.

They reprogrammed the entire car and recharged the 12v. Everything was back to normal.

Fast forward one week later, the car wouldn't start in the morning at home. Same problem. Car wouldn't charge either, giving the orange ring on the status lights. Car just came back the night before from a DCFC session and was at 92% charge. Back to the dealership it went.
Yep it happens to us lucky ones. Production Date 2020-11-26 received Feb 2021. So it happened to you only twice and just recently? The first was late November and again a week later? Mine did it right off the bat and exact same problem as @ChasingCoral and then waited again until this December so spaced out but also twice. Did you get any updates and/or failed installs OTA and/or by your dealers before the first one on thanksgiving? I have never seen the stop safety only but a hole barrage of big square messages; guess you caught it when it was not quite dead? Hard to stop safely when it won't go in gear ;). Not sure what is going on but it is a small battery and is dying some times.

This is interesting, a sticking high voltage contactor could cause the modules to fail to shut down at random times when it sticks. If it’s a mechanical issue software updates probably won’t fix it, but might improve failure behavior. Did they drop the pack and replace the contactor? It wouldn’t matter if you charged 120V or 240V, the AC charging process works the same way with either voltage.
They dropped my rear sub-frame I understand to replace the SOBDMC Module for a different problem but nothing for this. It was explained on this forum back when we first started getting them that it was contacts not being triggered to open/close and has been solved by a software update. There was a TSB on it I think TSB 21-2091.

Last edited:

mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yep it happens to us lucky ones. Production Date 2020-11-26 received Feb 2021. So it happened to you only twice and just recently? The first was late November and again a week later? Mine did it right off the bat and exact same problem as @ChasingCoral and then waited again until this December so spaced out but also twice. Did you get any updates and/or failed installs OTA and/or by your dealers before the first one on thanksgiving? I have never seen the stop safety only but a hole barrage of big square messages; guess you caught it when it was not quite dead? Hard to stop safely when it won't go in gear ;). Not sure what is going on but it is a small battery and is dying some times.

They dropped my rear sub-frame I understand to replace the SOBDMC Module for a different problem but nothing for this. It was explained on this forum back when we first started getting them that it was contacts not being triggered to open/close and has been solved by a software update. There was a TSB on it I think TSB 21-2091.
Updates, yes. Failed, no. I recall an update to 1.4, then 1.6, then 1.7.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ran a 12 V charge/test once and it failed indicating yellow 40 - 60% or 12.4V to 12.5 V for AGM. It measured 12.4. We will see what the professionals say when it goes in.

Interesting Video

He has more here that could interest

capnhowdy21

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Premium, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Development Manager
Country flag
What I meant was if you charge the car with a 120 volt charger the car won't charge the 12 volt battery. So if you don't drive enough the high voltage battery won't fully charge the 12 volt AGM battery. This will shorten the batteries life.
This has me concerned. I work form home now. My car will be mainly for short be-boping trips to the store. A couple miles a day. Maybe a few more on the weekend. Not gonna be happy if my 12v battery keeps dying because of this.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
This has me concerned. I work form home now. My car will be mainly for short be-boping trips to the store. A couple miles a day. Maybe a few more on the weekend. Not gonna be happy if my 12v battery keeps dying because of this.
They should have provided terminals that can be accessed without having to remove panels to charge the 12V battery. My Wife used to drive my Truck around the block at least once a week while I was overseas to keep the battery charged up. I don’t think that would be enough for this car!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Unless I'm driving into the nearest (larger) city, I put less than 25 miles a week on my car. Its also goes for 10 days or so without driving at a time. I've had no issues with the 12v battery. I keep a voltmeter in the center console and check it fairly regularly. I am charging it on a 32 amp 220-volt charger though.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Unless I'm driving into the nearest (larger) city, I put less than 25 miles a week on my car. Its also goes for 10 days or so without driving at a time. I've had no issues with the 12v battery. I keep a voltmeter in the center console and check it fairly regularly. I am charging it on a 32 amp 220-volt charger though.
Do not think we need to all excited about a 12V phantom drain yet. It sat in the early 2021 first shipments and killed the 12V the first week I had it with a software problem if you remember the beginning. It got cooler -10C and the 12V caused problems again. I am not sure if the 12V is the cause or a symptom but it would not take a full charge when I ran the first charging/test. The charger came back yellow indicating 40% 12.4 V which is exactly what the volt meter measured. Not a 12V battery expert but it could be just a bad 12V that happens. Not sure if you need to remove the frunk to get at it but it sure does seem you do?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do not think we need to all excited about a 12V phantom drain yet. It sat in the early 2021 first shipments and killed the 12V the first week I had it with a software problem if you remember the beginning. It got cooler -10C and the 12V caused problems again. I am not sure if the 12V is the cause or a symptom but it would not take a full charge when I ran the first charging/test. The charger came back yellow indicating 40% 12.4 V which is exactly what the volt meter measured. Not a 12V battery expert but it could be just a bad 12V that happens. Not sure if you need to remove the frunk to get at it but it sure does seem you do?
Yeah, the 12v issues are odd ones to say the least. My mach-e made it to San Diego in 5 weeks. It then sat there for another 5 weeks. Then spent about 4 days reaching Hilo. It's not had 12v battery issues. Yet.

As for the specifics of your car's issues, I have zero clue. But it's really easy to jump on the low voltage battery is the problem bandwagon. Might not be so.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, the 12v issues are odd ones to say the least. My mach-e made it to San Diego in 5 weeks. It then sat there for another 5 weeks. Then spent about 4 days reaching Hilo. It's not had 12v battery issues. Yet.

As for the specifics of your car's issues, I have zero clue. But it's really easy to jump on the low voltage battery is the problem bandwagon. Might not be so.
Maybe not but I have switched the dump trailer over to agm as it holds a charge and the tractor over to agm as it takes a beating and does not shake the plates apart in the fields. The charger has come back all good when I charge those . The first failure I have seen with the charger I purchased years ago is this one.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e dead again Untitled-Extract-Pages

Not saying it is bad and noted let the professionals tell me. I will note however I will not rule it out.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe not but I have switched the dump trailer over to agm as it holds a charge and the tractor over to agm as it takes a beating and does not shake the plates apart in the fields. The charger has come back all good when I charge those . The first failure I have seen with the charger I purchased years ago is this one.

Untitled-Extract-Pages.jpg

Not saying it is bad and noted let the professionals tell me. I will note however I will not rule it out.
We've also had very good luck with the AGM batteries on our various ranch equipment, including the gate to the house. Plus our 2020 Raptor has an AGM battery. There are, of course, a lot of possibilities for this, and that includes the AGM battery issues on the mach-e.

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was in the shop, diagnosed as bad 12V battery, replaced and came back OK.

Installed

PERFORM 21P22 SOFTWARE UPDATE. UPDATE SOBDM, ABS, BECM, SBDMC, SOBDMB, OBCC, BCM, DOME, DCMF, DCMG, DCMH AND RFA MODULES. CLEAR ALL DTCS. RECHECK. ALL OKAY

Feeling good to be in the above 80% group?. ;)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Was in the shop, diagnosed as bad 12V battery, replaced and came back OK.

Installed

PERFORM 21P22 SOFTWARE UPDATE. UPDATE SOBDM, ABS, BECM, SBDMC, SOBDMB, OBCC, BCM, DOME, DCMF, DCMG, DCMH AND RFA MODULES. CLEAR ALL DTCS. RECHECK. ALL OKAY

Feeling good to be in the above 80% group?. ;)
glad to hear it was *just* the 12v.....
you might wanna edit the Original Post Title to include [solved - bad 12v battery]

OP
OP
Shayne

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sat 8 days 17th to 26th. Plugged in a new Christmas present and this is what I got.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-e dead again Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 12.21.18 PM-1

After 8 days the 12V started at 75% and charged to 91% when powered on (started). Appears the battery is taking a charge now. Wondering if it sat for two weeks if it would be below 75%?

Does anyone know what is normal while sitting and at what % sync will charge the 12V battery or does it not maintain the 12V when parked? Appears the battery health is better to test it again. Hoping the battery was the cause not a symptom. Time will tell.

Best to all for the new year.
Sponsored