Mach-E Driver's Seat Impressions (Non-Driving)

First Name
SportZnTouring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition (on Pre-Order), 2018 370z Nismo
Country flag
I was fortunate enough to be in the drivers seat of a Mach-E recently... Not fortunate enough to actually drive it sadly... But got a full walk around of the car, sat in the driver's seat. It is an absolutely gorgeous car. The driving position was easy to set up and I felt right at home. Can't wait for mine to arrive! I've pre-ordered a First Edition (the GT hasn't been made available in the UK yet)...

Unfortunately, on the day, we weren't allowed to film or photograph anything but I was able to make this video giving my impressions of the Mach-E... with my own edit of the media-kit footage...

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was fortunate enough to be in the drivers seat of a Mach-E recently... Not fortunate enough to actually drive it sadly... But got a full walk around of the car, sat in the driver's seat. It is an absolutely gorgeous car. The driving position was easy to set up and I felt right at home. Can't wait for mine to arrive! I've pre-ordered a First Edition (the GT hasn't been made available in the UK yet)...

Unfortunately, on the day, we weren't allowed to film or photograph anything but I was able to make this video giving my impressions of the Mach-E... with my own edit of the media-kit footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggtqehi768
what did you think of the seat material and boot/frunk space?

OP
OP
SportZnTouring
First Name
SportZnTouring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great video, @SportZnTouring. I think you made a good point about preserving the brand while the world moves towards a cleaner future.
Thanks!!

I think we're faced with a choice... Obsess over the Mustang being petrol powered and watch the brand become a part of history or... make the brand commercially viable based on what people buy today and how cars will be propelled in the future.

The whole point of Mustang is to be different. To stand out. To distinguish itself. To not conform. To define the future. So, if it conforms to it's past it loses that essential part of its character.

I think this car was a stroke of genius! Now, Mustang can stand on it's own two feet and become a multi faceted brand... SUV, Coupe, and more.

OP
OP
SportZnTouring
First Name
SportZnTouring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
what did you think of the seat material and boot/frunk space?
The seat materials and overall interior was at least comparable, if not exceeded, other Mustangs.

BlackheathDiggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER (Black)
Country flag
I attended today tone of the UK-based events where the Mache-E prototype is being shown to the public (at least those that have pre-registered/ordered),

It was great to see it up close and personal, and there was a presentation about the car and the delivery timeline as well. We weren't allowed to sit inside it, but we were able to walk around and put our heads inside and get a proper feel for it, so a helpful first guide (work the three-hour round trip to get there!).

It looked great in real life (better than photos) and I really liked the look and feel of the interior, which is definitely more premium than cars I've owned before (no great surprise as I currently drive a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV). Looked very practical with plenty of room in all the seats, and that deceptive body shape that looks coupe but actually has plenty of room in the back, with good boot space too. The front trunk looked a little smaller than i expected, but still a useful storage area, and I will definitely be using it for muddy trainers and mountaineering boots on trips away!

The seats felt like a really nice material, and whilst I wasn't allowed to actually sit, to the touch they felt like they would be very comfortable with great adjustability in the front seats. But this is a more premium car than I'm used to, so maybe that has more of an impact on me that it will on others!

The charging port door did seem a bit flimsy, and some other customers (Kona drivers) were worried it could be damaged easily. So hopefully something to fix for the production model.

Speaking of production....the presentation said explicitly that the first vehicle (Job #1) would be built on 20 June 2020, followed by first shipments in September, with delivers of First Editions in October/November 2020. This was in the UK but we were told there was no preference over European and USA orders. I've ordered a RWD-ER, so not likely to see it until the very end of the year of start of 2021 (according to the experience of the Ford rep).

Let me know if you have any questions!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Great details, especially with regards to the June 20 date for Job 1 production. Thank you!

I'd love to check out the car here, but I'm guessing my earliest opportunity won't be until the dealerships receive their demonstration units.

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
Here are my impressions from sitting in the Mach-E:

The material quality is definitely above a regular Mustang. The leather really felt great and all important parts like door panels, armrest, center console, etc are padded really nicely. You can totally feel that Ford really want to go into the premium segment with the quality.
Also really nice is that they also added the good materials to the rear seats and rear doorpanels, carmakers usally like to save money on cheap parts for rear passengers.

But I really don't like the non-GT seats. They have way too less lateral support. The base seats will definitely not be a great choice if you want to drive some curvy backroads and more targeted towards cruising on a highway.

Salant76

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
@BlackheathDigg Thank you for the info on the first production run vehicles and shipment info. I will place that information on my Q&A post and give you credit for it.

Thank you.

Scott

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Or waited for that to be the second Mustang BEV.

OP
OP
SportZnTouring
First Name
SportZnTouring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They really needed a globally popular vehicle format so they could hit all markets and sell enough vehicles to bring their average emissions across their ranges down (regulations on manufacturer wide emissions are getting tougher across all jurisdictions).

SUVs sell. Just a fact of the global market where overall, car sales are going down generally for all car makers.

The Tesla roadster mk1 sold 2450 cars globally. This is a tiny number in Ford's terms and this kind of low volume wouldn't be good enough. These volumes wouldn't cut it.

Plus, as I've said in my videos, they've widened the Mustang brand now and can now do several vehicle formats including the coupé, protecting the brand into the future.

An electric Mustang coupé would have been more risky as relative to their other vehicles, globally, isn't as popular as SUVs. Sure, some fans are upset but I think those that truly love the brand and want to see it live on will know that this was a bold and smart move... A boldness worthy of the Mustang brand.

PSaulet

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw Amarok, Tesla M3, Caterham, Annulé Mach e
Country flag
I agree with SportZnTouring in its analysis even if I understand that lovers of the original Mustang coupe are shocked ... But to borrow the electric world it was ingenious to use a mitic name, which seen from here in France seems to be synonymous with freedom.
Ford thus created a new interest in its entry into the new world of mobility that Renault was unable to do with its Twizy or Zoé, nor Peugeot with its 208/2008, Tesla remaining a model apart which had or had 'advantage of moving the lines and advancing technology, the craze of other manufacturers and leads us today to have access to models still generating fads. Not sure if Ford badged it to its brand that the interest would have been the same and make Mustang an entire brand seems to me in terms of marketing a promising plan.

;) ;) ;)
Sponsored