supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
I think you missed the point of my calculations, though, in my first post? I don't see how the Y can go from 260 wh/mi at the halfway point to 320 wh/mi at the end, to achieve those numbers. Something doesn't add up.
The answer is simple - blame the russians... :) Or as a backup scenario - Alex was paid by Ford? What else?... I am sure something else will eventually come up.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sigh. Wish I had scrolled down slightly before sitting through the agonizing YouCrap video with the annoying music and incessant, mindless blathering. Ugh.
Be nice. UTube has a skip bar for people like us with preview and all to let you know what you are skipping. It was a test worth seeing. Will it be repeat now numerous times until fact?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
You can read about the results Here instead of suffering through the video.

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
Simply put: Mach E . . Stunning and Beautiful. Tesla Y . . nothing special since it is a jacked up model 3.

Clydesdale

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M Roadster. Chevy Tahoe. Tesla model3.
Country flag
The bigger issue is internal at Ford, and not the consumer, and that has to do with the battery pack size and cost. To give the consumer the range needed (270-300 miles), Ford needed the larger battery pack to get to that goal at the expense of the cost and weight. For the first few years, it's not an issue since it can be priced accordingly factoring in the Federal subsidy, but once that dries up, Ford will want to improve the efficiency and reduce the cost. That battery pack can't be cheap. On the 3/Y, the 78 kWh pack costs $18k to replace (which includes labor), so I'd imagine a 100 kWh pack would be $24k, give or take. As far as internal cost, I'd imagine the cost of the battery itself for Tesla is around $6k, around $8k for Ford. At 60,000 units a year, if Ford can reduce the cost of the battery pack by $2k, that's an annual saving of $120 million. Doesn't seem like much for Ford now but if the volumes ramp up, the difference will add up quickly.

In a few years when Ford gets the efficiency better, they may size down the battery pack, or leave it as is if they can reduce the cost by higher volume/economy of scale. My best guess is they'll keep the pack size the same and yield higher range from efficiency improvements. MME owners will get the experience the same thing Tesla owners go through, which is deciding to buy now, or wait for future improvements and changes.

Mach-e is borderline if not wholly a “halo” product. This is great for the consumer, who gets way more than they are paying for.

Brute forcing the 100kw/h battery into the design to compete on range, but leaving the price competitive with the MY is a decisive victory at the marketing table.

The downside, is the future viability. Halo cars are meant to be an attractant to the brand, regardless of profit. Engineering needs to step up on efficiency to bring the cost down. Until then we will see the small numbers of volume.

The good thing is that every one will be sold, at great satisfaction to the customers due to this perceived value. This will bring more attention to the brand and allow future customers to consider Ford as a solid choice when more profitable BEVs are released for the greater masses.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The Mach-E's range is proving to be stellar! With some minor tweaks to the DC charging, it would probably beat just about any other crossover EV in a long distance challenge.
Why do all youtube videos think i want to watch the whole damn trip or some other extended time filler? this 20 min video could have been 5 -10 min.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Why do all youtube videos think i want to watch the whole damn trip or some other extended time filler? this 20 min video could have been 5 -10 min.
I can tell you why... YouTube rewards YouTubers with longer videos by promoting those videos and channels more. That's also why there is a lot of "fluff" in the beginning of many YouTube videos, you also get rewarded for more watch time. If someone watched only 10 seconds of your video, they stop showing it in search results.

One of the biggest improvements recently with YouTube is that you can now add "chapters" to videos so it is easy to find the part to skip to. I wish all YouTubers would do this for their videos. I try to add it to all of my videos now.

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I can tell you why... YouTube rewards YouTubers with longer videos by promoting those videos and channels more. That's also why there is a lot of "fluff" in the beginning of many YouTube videos, you also get rewarded for more watch time. If someone watched only 10 seconds of your video, they stop showing it in search results.

One of the biggest improvements recently with YouTube is that you can now add "chapters" to videos so it is easy to find the part to skip to. I wish all YouTubers would do this for their videos. I try to add it to all of my videos now.
ahhh... makes sense now why there is 5 min of fluff in beginning of a 6 min video!!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
326 miles my ass. The MME is far from perfect but at least they are fairly realistic about real world range And not promising a fairy tale.

9F9675FE-B2E5-47CC-8BBE-A1F155039A2A.jpeg
wait. your ass goes 326 miles?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E vs Model Y Range Test, Alex on Autos 1616009074706

Ford49

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Country flag
I have read a lot on this forum and watched a lot of videos. I only cosidered a Model Y and a Mach E, but I was determined to buy an electric car. I ordered the Mach E last July ( still waiting), mostly because I wanted the car that was least likely to have quality issues ( coupled with the fact that Ford is 10 miles away and Tesla is 120). However I bought the hype that Tesla was so great at software, OTA, range and was so efficient. After watching this video and reading this thread, the facts have sunk in.
1. EPA is not of much value because of different testing strategies.
2. ME has better range than Y.
3. Efficiency is not much different, 8% in this test. (and how much of that is due to the 400 lbs difference in weight? leaving not much for software or secret sauce).

Teslas super power is not software, it's marketing. They can get reviewers and fans talking for hours about stuff that makes little difference (efficiency, heat pumps etc). They are an amazing, game changing company, but others can make a great BEV too. I know lots of you know that already, but this video and thread did focus it for me.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This was a great test and the Mach E extended range did very good and exceeded expectations. I hope Alex has the opportunity to compare the range with a Tesla Model Y LR and 19" wheels vs. the 20" wheels on the Model Y used in this comparison. The wheels make a big impact on range. Tom Moloughney did a range test with the Model Y LR and 19" wheels and at a 70 mph average he achieved 275.4 miles. Not saying the 19" wheels would have made the Tesla exceed the range of the Mach E, but it would have been much much closer.

Interesting reading through several of the threads on the Mach E and how manufacturers have created fanboys for most brands. I have brands that I tend to favor, but goodness the fanboys are fun to observe.

I love the looks of the Mach E (although I have not seen one in person). The Model Y looks are.....well they have grown on me and its ok. I prefer the looks of the Mach E (the Audi E-tron is my favorite looking all electric SUV).

I recently purchased my 3rd Tesla in the last 6 years (A 2021 Model Y, previously owned a 2020 Model X performance, and a 2014 Model S P85). The Mach E is certainly something I will consider in the future.

With the 7500 rebate and range on the extended Mach E the MME is clearly the better value proposition in my opinion. If one road trips frequently then the Supercharger is an advantage and makes the difference for me at this point in the development of the EA network.
Maybe not fan boys but just a bit of good natured trash talking. All in fun and any EV is a good EV.
Sponsored