Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
There is a Tesla guy on YouTube named EVDave. He recently bought a Mach-E as well. EVDave did a low speed (56mph) range test in the Mach-E and then in the Model Y. He also did a high speed range test in the Mach-E and will be doing the same in the Model Y. Below are the two low speed tests.

(Spoiler alert - Mach-E covered 320 miles, Model Y 291 miles.)

Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The MME battery pack just makes the Model Y look bad lol.

A few notes, the Martian wheels on the Y will hurt the range since it's not as aerodynamic. The lighter weight won't overcome the increased drag. Also not mentioned is battery degradation. You can see the Y only using 69 kWh, so the owner has already lost about 4-5 kWh. The 2020 Model Y LR AWD has 75 kWh usable when new and most of the degradation is within the first 10,000 miles. Mine is at 5800 miles and I'm down to 73 kWh.

Eventually Tesla will roll out the new battery packs but that'll be another year or so. Supposedly the Berlin factory will use the 4680 cells in the European Y. Based upon the efficiency the Y showed, 236 wh/mi, the Y would see 365 miles of range if it had an 86 kWh pack (320 miles divided by 3.7 miles per kWh that the Ford displayed).

Overall, though, the Ford range has been pretty solid in 60+F temps.

OP
OP
Mach-E VLOG

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It's never an exact comparison and there will always be excuses.

The way I look at it...
1) This is why the Mach-E has a big battery buffer. Shouldn't have to worry as much about degradation.
2) Many people swap wheels on Tesla, not for looks, but for a better ride. The Mach-E ride seems to be fine without a wheel swap.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
EV Dave's Model Y got 234 miles @75mph and 0% SoC; and his MME FE went 232 miles @75mph with 1% SoC.

It should be noted Dave had 221 miles driven at 1% and drove like 10 miles beyond 0% on his Y. No normal owner would do that.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I think EVDave should have stated the results as 281 to 321.7 He drove the Y for 10 miles after it hit zero percent and zero miles, but the MME he stopped with one mile left.

Maybe he did that so I would comment on his video like last time. Well, I'm not falling for that. I'm commenting here instead.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
EV Dave's Model Y got 234 miles @75mph and 0% SoC; and his MME FE went 232 miles @75mph with 1% SoC.

It should be noted Dave had 221 miles driven at 1% and drove like 10 miles beyond 0% on his Y. No normal owner would do that.
They're clearly closer at higher speeds because the better aero drag of the Y brings its smaller battery up to the same range as the MME.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
There is a Tesla guy on YouTube named EVDave. He recently bought a Mach-E as well. EVDave did a low speed (56mph) range test in the Mach-E and then in the Model Y. He also did a high speed range test in the Mach-E and will be doing the same in the Model Y. Below are the two low speed tests.

Awesome. He seems to generally be critical of the MME. But I also didn't notice him specifying which trim it was (though I know it's a first edition)? I wonder how the RWD MME would do in the same test.

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Eventually Tesla will roll out the new battery packs but that'll be another year or so. Supposedly the Berlin factory will use the 4680 cells in the European Y. Based upon the efficiency the Y showed, 236 wh/mi, the Y would see 365 miles of range if it had an 86 kWh pack (320 miles divided by 3.7 miles per kWh that the Ford displayed).
It's kind of hard to make these assumptions since an increase in battery also leads to an increase in weight, and thus a decrease in efficiency.

The model Y certainly is more efficient than the Mach-E, but the Mach-E is carrying around over 500 pounds of extra weight, thus obviously impacting the efficiency.

It would be very interesting to see how efficiency would stack up if these vehicles were identical weights, then it would be an apples to apples comparison.

My best guess is that Teslas "secret sauce" for efficiency isn't all that "secret" per say, and I say that based on the fact that the KIA e Niro and the Hyundai Kona achieve incredible efficiency that is actually better than the Tesla.

For comparison the Kia eNiro combined city/highway efficiency is 275Wh/mile

The Tesla Model Y combined city/highway efficiency is 304Wh/mile.

I think the main difference comes down to the battery size (and their weight) that manufacturers chose to put in their vehicles to guarantee a particular range. Ford being a very conservative legacy auto manufacturer obviously took the safe route and put the largest possible battery in there, and chose to be super pessimistic with range figures on the GOM and in their EPA estimates to ENSURE customers get to where they need to go. You can even see this in their conservative approach to their charging curve, and the way the vehicle performs. Everything seems over build and dialed down to be conservative. Basically they are sacrificing profitability here and underselling performance which is actually quite remarkable in the real world.

Tesla being a very nimble tech startup that is used to pushing the envelope chose a different approach by including the bare minimum of what is necessary to get the job done, while being incredibly optimistic in their GOM as well as EPA figures, which does not bode well for real world driving expectations. But you can see this minimalist approach in design all throughout the vehicle, and it should come as no surprise to anyone. Basically they are maximizing profitability here, while overselling actual deliverables.

At the end of the day what matters most to the customer is (how much you pay) and (how much do you get). And in that regard the Mach-E is really overdelivering and the obvious best value for the dollar, particularly when you consider that the Model Y and the Mach-E are quite LITERALLY priced identically to the dollar.

Last edited:

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

Not to mention he changed the testing methodology by doing that in (both) instances for the Model Y. Not saying he is intentionally trying to skew data, but those actions do skew the data, and it's likely due to the fact that he is comfortable with his model Y and knows what it can deliver after 0%. But that said, if he was going to do that, then it needs to be done for the Mach-E as well to get an apples to apples comparison, since he likely could have squeezed another 10 miles out of the Mach-E as well.

But in reality as you already pointed out, no EV driver actually pulls a Kramer and does this in the real world, and if we stick to hitting 0% like he did with the Mach-E he basically got 221 miles.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
It's kind of hard to make these assumptions since an increase in battery also leads to an increase in weight, and thus a decrease in efficiency.
The range increase due to more kWh in the battery always far outweighs any hit to the range due to the added mass. A vehicle with a 20 kWh battery pack will never go as far as one with a 100 kWh battery pack (unless there is an absurd difference in the masses).

At higher speeds mass doesn't matter much, and even at lower speeds aero is important. That's because while losses related to drag and rolling resistance can never be recovered, losses attributable to things like hill climbing can be partially recovered through regen.

Keep in mind the footprint of the vehicle dictates the space available for, and hence the size of, the battery pack. The long wheelbase of the MME allows for a large pack, which in turn (and IMO) allowed the designers more styling freedom.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I hope in the future, there is a way to design efficiency without creating ugly egg shapes.
There is, but they have to become longer and longer and pointier and pointier. In the front and the rear.
Basically the closer they look to a supersonic jet (without wings), the better...

Electric Fusion

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi eTron, TT Roush Mustang, *Mustang Mach E 4X
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Thanks for sharing however his test was not done fair .. the MME did 320 miles from 100 to 0 .. he did not try to drive the MME below 0 and if you look at Edmon test you can .. so if you are doing a 100 to 0 indicated test .. then the moment 0% is shown the test should stop ..

So base on his test the MME Indicated 100 to 0% = 318. + 3 remaining
Model Y indicated 100 to 0% = 280 + 0 remaining...

the key part of this test is indicated miles from 100 to 0% .. it was not a test from 100% to dead ..

100% to 0% indicated range Test
MME 56mph = 318 + 3 miles indicated
MY 56mph = 280 + 0 miles indicated

MME 75mph = 231 + 3 miles indicated* 1%? (video did not show 0%)
MY 75mph = 222 + 0 miles indicated

Other than that good test ..

Last edited:

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They're clearly closer at higher speeds because the better aero drag of the Y brings its smaller battery up to the same range as the MME.
Overall not terrible range on the Y Performance, which is typically 10% less efficient than the Longe Range Y. People buying the MYP aren't worried about their efficiency, though.
Sponsored