Mileage Complaint

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
If you look at the footnote for that claim its is " † Based on full charge. Estimated range using Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). Actual range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviours, vehicle maintenance, and lithium-ion battery age "

Those "estimates" are based on a rolling road testing procedure that takes all of 30 MINUTES to complete! see more info here

Tony

OP
OP
Trevor

Trevor

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4EX
Occupation
Comms
Country flag
If you look at the footnote for that claim its is " † Based on full charge. Estimated range using Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). Actual range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviours, vehicle maintenance, and lithium-ion battery age "

Those "estimates" are based on a rolling road testing procedure that takes all of 30 MINUTES to complete! see more info here

Tony
Bellshill is bullshit. Let's just call it for what it is. Lol.

Chris-MMEX_GT500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.careerup.tech
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT / Star White
Occupation
Business owner
Country flag
My daily drive is 100 miles round trip in a mix of highway and rural roads, I am near or above 200 miles each day. Also, I do not drive it to conserve power. Also, I drove 150 miles a few weeks ago and had 149 miles and 49% battery when I arrived home.

The GOM calculates your range on a number of factors, if your range is consistently low, it could be related to the type of driving. Short trips at low speeds will show a lower range. Also, the weather may affect range as we all know cooler temperatures do impact range. As others have said, it is an estimate and will change constantly, I personally factor in a 10% +/- when I let the battery get below 50%. The lowest I will let the battery go is down to 20%.
(My preference)

If you are seeing lower mileage, have the dealer run checks on the batteries, it is possible you have some that may be bad.
Good luck!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
On the purchase page it says max range 335. It doesn't say that this is not actually achievable, in the real world.

On their ads they also use this figure and not the ral world figure, or the one used in the US.

It is therefore down to ad standards and testing standards difference and they can simply get away with a higher figure over here.
I don’t think this is a realistic ask for Ford to implement. As others have said, the UK government mandates this test, Ford is simply reporting the results from this test. If only Ford did what you asked, it would put them at a great competitive disadvantage because other carmakers also use the UK government mandated test results in their advertising and it would appear something is very wrong with Ford’s vehicles if their cars had comparatively terrible efficiency for no apparent reason.

For example, look at Jaguar. Their XF sedan is sold in R-Dynamic trim in AWD in both the USA and UK with a 300hp I4 turbocharged engine (P300 badging by Jaguar).

The below screenshot is from the UK Jaguar website and appears to show a combined fuel economy rating of 32.8 miles per gallon for this vehicle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Complaint 294F03F9-BA16-47F4-A1D8-586FE247EAA4

The same vehicle on the USA Jaguar website shows a combined fuel economy rating of 25 miles per gallon.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mileage Complaint 0BB70005-B79E-421D-9709-92D43D92E4A5

As you can see, what you are singling out Ford for is literally what every carmaker does and as others have said, the root of the problem is the WLTP testing standard, not something Ford itself is doing.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks. Appreciate the response. For me, I wanted to be able to go to London and back for work. I expected to stop en-route, but would need to stop in both directions for at least 30 minutes each. Not the end of the world, ut not what I signed up for.
Just think of all that coin you will be saving charging to 100% at home. Not sure the round trip mileage but if you can find a place to suck a bit of juice at work it would be good. Even 8 hours @ 120V on the little ford travel charger would be good and maybe reduce that 30 minutes to 15? You should get a feel for it as things progress. For me the quite stress free driving makes it worth It.

Last edited:

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I am only talking about the UK figure of 335. I am getting figures.similar to the US figures, but was sold the promise of more. That is my point. Thanks for the post.
Seems like there’s a discrepancy in the US and the UK figures. I’ve really only seen people getting above the advertised range. Maybe give it a bit more time to learn your driving style?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Here is what you can do if you're really disappointed in the car:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hear you. I think they are all lying, or at the least misrepresenting the facts. Neither me, nor millions of others, will know the difference till they realise that their shiny new.purchase was based on a misrepresentation.

I simply expected more from Ford. Someone should act responsibly. Maybe they, and others, could take thread and say what the reality is.

Over here, they are all claiming 335'ish ranges and yet, it appears in the US the same car can only do 270. That is a material difference and that is wrong.

Just calling them out.
You're right, you should be calling out the government entities that create/support the unrealistic WLTP standard.

That's the problem. Not the automaker, but the unrealistic standard they're required to use over there.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
On the purchase page it says max range 335. It doesn't say that this is not actually achievable, in the real world.
Yes, it is achievable, that's exactly what Ford testing has achieved in compliance with WLTP standard. Drive as prescribed in the standard (i.e. like a grandma) and you'll get your mileage.
Instead of admitting your mistake you keep blaming Ford.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Well Keep this in mind, this is the same standard all the other manufactures are using to claim their Gas mileages as well !! So you have been lied to and misrepresented to for years and years and years but only now is it an earth shattering problem.

Driving like granny is not how you will get the max mileage. If you are willing to take a few extra steps you can get to 335 miles. Minimize braking, coast the car as much as possible.

I have noticed that the car has no real coast mode when in drive. Even in whisper it will regen if you take your foot off the accelerator. So switch to N for the long down hill strips, allow the car to coast do not brake even if it speeds up.

Turn off your AC and use just the fan under 80f(25C). In the UK you should never have to use AC. Turn off E-Heat, its a humidity control system that burn electricity.

I easily get close to 315 miles range on the GOM with my ER AWD no reason you can't do better.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
I don’t think this is a realistic ask for Ford to implement. As others have said, the UK government mandates this test, Ford is simply reporting the results from this test. If only Ford did what you asked, it would put them at a great competitive disadvantage because other carmakers also use the UK government mandated test results in their advertising and it would appear something is very wrong with Ford’s vehicles if their cars had comparatively terrible efficiency for no apparent reason.

For example, look at Jaguar. Their XF sedan is sold in R-Dynamic trim in AWD in both the USA and UK with a 300hp I4 turbocharged engine (P300 badging by Jaguar).

The below screenshot is from the UK Jaguar website and appears to show a combined fuel economy rating of 32.8 miles per gallon for this vehicle.

The same vehicle on the USA Jaguar website shows a combined fuel economy rating of 25 miles per gallon.

As you can see, what you are singling out Ford for is literally what every carmaker does and as others have said, the root of the problem is the WLTP testing standard, not something Ford itself is doing.
I'm sure you've accounted for it, but US and UK Gallons aren't comparable.

For the record my UK FE happens to be at 100% for a long trip this morning. After 4000 miles it's showing the following on the GOM. I'm happy with it.

Screenshot_2021-09-05-01-42-10-501_com.ford.fordpasseu.jpg

Reactions: ARK

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
Ummmmm, what’s the big deal?
You’re still going to have to charge it up again.

Also, at what range would you put it on the charger……..after you’ve driven 335 miles?

I really think ? you’re overreacting.

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
He lives in the UK, and they use a different testing method (WLTP)- and thus a different range number

And FFS I really wish @Ford Motor Company would stop underreporting range in the GOM so we don't see three of these threads a week
I don't blame Ford. This is straight up operator error at this point. This topic has been beaten to death in so many threads on so many forums.

By now if you don't know the difference between WLTP and EPA, and between those regulatory ranges and an onboard system like a GOM, you really shouldn't be buying any electric car from any manufacturer.
Sponsored