First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Yep, that is exactly what happened!
Ya in normal ICE cars when the battery is dead to that point youd get a rapid clicking with all the lights on the flashing. Since there is no starter all you get is the lights all on.
Sponsored

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
OK. I'm beginning to think Ford needed more testing in cold weather before they rolled this pony out of the corral. Too much coincidence with issues and cold climates.
I was assured in no uncertain terms on this very forum that only California-based EV automakers produce cars that have issues in cold temperatures. Shocking that this proved to be incorrect.

Hopefully the actual engineers solve this ASAP.

Not getting me excited for mine if it ever makes it here.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Dumb question - I didn’t know there were two batteries I was supposed to watch. Is there a light or something to show if the 12v is charging(ed)?

My car only stayed in KC for a few hours, not months
It's supposed to take care of itself. The DC-DC converter is supposed to charge the 12V system from the HV battery.

AndyS_OSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet BoltEV
Occupation
Educator
Country flag
Tried to start my MME twice with the Ford Pass App. Apparently when it fails twice you have to start it from the car. The car started just fine and warmed up while I scraped about 6 inches of snow off. Then I noticed all of the errors. Various sensors were not working, AWD was not working, powertrain malfunction service vehicle soon. I tried cleaning off all of the sensors to no avail. Could not put the car in gear. It was showing charged at 100%. Super frustrating to have a car with less than 500 miles on it!!! My boss had to take me home and we will have to dig it out in the morning.
This is exactly why I’m up Ford’s customer service line multiple times a day right now. Could have had my car to me Saturday before the Arctic blast. But now it sits on a lot for another week in Ice and snow....and that’s after a month sitting idle in normal transit. I’m just stubborn enough to make this a big deal...for them.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
It's supposed to take care of itself. The DC-DC converter is supposed to charge the 12V system from the HV battery.
That’s a good point, if the 12V is having a hard time holding a charge for whatever reason, wouldn’t the high voltage battery be draining itself unusually fast trying to keep it charged up?

Unless maybe the vehicle only checks to charge up say once every 24 hours and a problematic 12v is going from charged to dead in less time, e.g. overnight?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dumb question - I didn’t know there were two batteries I was supposed to watch. Is there a light or something to show if the 12v is charging(ed)?

My car only stayed in KC for a few hours, not months
Not aware of one, unfortunately.

There are cheap meters that you can plug into the cigarette lighter though. Around $10 on Amazon. Just search CIGARETTE LIGHTER VOLTAGE METER.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
That’s a good point, if the 12V is having a hard time holding a charge for whatever reason, wouldn’t the high voltage battery be draining itself unusually fast trying to keep it charged up?

Unless maybe the vehicle only checks to charge up say once every 24 hours and a problematic 12v is going from charged to dead in less time, e.g. overnight?
It's a very tiny load compared to actually propelling the vehicle down the road. It would drain faster but probably not noticeably faster. The DC-DC is on whenever the ignition is on, as that's the BEV equivalent of an alternator. The question as you say is when does the DC-DC wake up when the ignition is off to check on the 12V.

Peugfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Linc MKX, 2021 MME Prem 4EX Infinite Blue
Country flag
Tried to start my MME twice with the Ford Pass App. Apparently when it fails twice you have to start it from the car. The car started just fine and warmed up while I scraped about 6 inches of snow off. Then I noticed all of the errors. Various sensors were not working, AWD was not working, powertrain malfunction service vehicle soon. I tried cleaning off all of the sensors to no avail. Could not put the car in gear.
Have no idea, but it does remind me of the time I took my 96 Ford Contour V-6 into the Ford dealer. It would cut out intermittently, but briefly with many red warning lights flashing. I described the problem to the service manager while the car was in the inside drop off area. He walked over to the car and wiggled the battery cable which was loose. He had a mechanic come over and add a small wire between the battery post and the cable, tighten it up and said, No charge, have a good day! When computers and electronics do not have the proper voltage power supply all sorts of strange things happen. Here is to hoping they find the problem and that it is something simple. Hoping my MME will ship soon.

tomking29

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
Not aware of one, unfortunately.

There are cheap meters that you can plug into the cigarette lighter though. Around $10 on Amazon. Just search CIGARETTE LIGHTER VOLTAGE METER.
Does the MME have a traditional cigarette lighter plug?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Does the MME have a traditional cigarette lighter plug?
LOCATING THE POWER OUTLET

Power outlets are in the following locations:
  • In the media bin below the instrument panel.
  • Inside the main center console bin.
  • On the rear of the main center console bin.
  • In the cargo area.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Question for the battery experts... speaking 60k did the car so grudgingly I don’t mind spending a few hundred more to replace the LVB with a better one if one is recommended. But that only solves if this is bad battery issue but not if the charging circuit has issues ... am I right? That needs a software update or something else?