Dark Matter GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Country flag
Alright so now that I've had time to calm down a bit, what's everyone's general sentiments currently? Assuming Ford's lack of even a "We're aware. Fix incoming." PR hail mary means this is indeed an engineering issue, I'm curious what options people are considering. I'm certainly not keeping my GT order if this is real, but what are you all thinking?

Keeping the GT orders? (still the most attractive EV under 100k imo)

Buy a premium? Still looks good and 48K (or less) after tax credits. And will apparently walk a GT in a roll.

Kia/Hyundai?

Genesis?

Audi A6/Q6? Q4?

Lyriq?

Wait on the Camaro sedan?

Wait on Honda/Toyota?

Anything else?
I'm a stop sign racer so I'll be keeping my GT order. I'm confident this will get worked out anyway. I was considering cross shopping a Kia EV6 GT if the timing wasn't off by a year. Didn't want to wait. Probably should have. Lol
Sponsored

Coyote Chaser

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Without a dragy, I can safely predict any future 1/4 mile runs will look just like the graphs from the OP or the one Frankie posted yesterday. That said, if you're rolling at 70 and punch it, it will still put your head back and you'll be around whoever you need to pass quickly. That said, they're doing something to pull power at the top end like it's hitting a wall. The question is what and will they make any adjustments based on these 1/4 mile trap speeds.
We had the same problems with the Ecoboost and the guys at Ford Performance came up with some nice warranted modifications, including ECU tuning!

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Alright so now that I've had time to calm down a bit, what's everyone's general sentiments currently? Assuming Ford's lack of even a "We're aware. Fix incoming." PR hail mary means this is indeed an engineering issue, I'm curious what options people are considering. I'm certainly not keeping my GT order if this is real, but what are you all thinking?

Buy a premium? Still looks good and 48K (or less) after tax credits. And will apparently walk a GT in a roll.

Kia/Hyundai?

Genesis?

Audi A6/Q6? Q4?

Lyriq?

Wait on Honda/Toyota?

Anything else?
Stick with your GT. Give Ford a chance. If this isnā€™t an anomaly, and, thereā€™s no fix announced relatively quickly, sell said GT for a profit in this crazy ass market. Because issue, or not, someone will pay MSRP+ for it. No lose situation. The Camaro sedan is gonna be bangin though.

OsageCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger, VW Atlas
Country flag
Kind of hard to compare any Tesla to any Porsche, Audi, or Mercedes. OK it does 0-60 in 2 seconds, but literally everything else about the Tesla is worse than the cars from those other three manufacturers.

That's like me saying my Ford Fusion (and I love my Fusion) is a bargain compared to a Volvo.
I disagree. The Etron GT and Taycans have terrible range, aren't near as quick, and are far less practical. The idea that you could buy the fastest production car in the world for less than $150k would've been a pipedream until now...

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Without a dragy, I can safely predict any future 1/4 mile runs will look just like the graphs from the OP or the one Frankie posted yesterday. That said, if you're rolling at 70 and punch it, it will still put your head back and you'll be around whoever you need to pass quickly. That said, they're doing something to pull power at the top end like it's hitting a wall. The question is what and will they make any adjustments based on these 1/4 mile trap speeds.
Agreed. Like I said back in the Accord 2.0T portion of the thread, the longitudinal G trace looks pretty normal up until mid-high 80s, not 50, not 60, not 70 like some keep trying to pawn off. Something isnā€™t right up top but those of you who own them know better than anyone how hard it hits from 70-90mph.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag

Kia/Hyundai?

Genesis?

Audi A6/Q6? Q4?

Lyriq?

Wait on Honda/Toyota?

Anything else?
The BMW i4 M50 is a car with similar specs, looks good but is another year away

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I disagree. The Etron GT and Taycans have terrible range, aren't near as quick, and are far less practical. The idea that you could buy the fastest production car in the world for less than $150k would've been a pipedream until now...
Stop looking at EPA range ratings and check results from Edmunds and others. Taycan S got over 320 miles in their range test vs. low 200s EPA. The 2-speed trans pays big dividends at highway speeds. But if all you want is straight line speed, yeah, Plaid is the one for the moment.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Stop looking at EPA range ratings and check results from Edmunds and others. Taycan S got over 320 miles in their range test vs. low 200s EPA. The 2-speed trans pays big dividends at highway speeds. But if all you want is straight line speed, yeah, Plaid is the one for the moment.
My Ford Fusion gets way better gas mileage than a Volvo V60 Polestar hybrid. Check mate Volvo. lol. I mean you have to be on some level a little bit realistic in what you're comparing your cars to.

Taycan S - lightyears ahead on interior and quality in general. Will out handle the shit out of a Tesla, and is "only" 2.5 0-60, charges as fast or faster than a Tesla, with similar range.

But yeah, let's talk about the bargain $120k Tesla.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

Kia/Hyundai?

Genesis?

Audi A6/Q6? Q4?

Lyriq?

Wait on Honda/Toyota?

Anything else?
For now I will stick to my original plan and see how well the magnaride makes the broken concrete ruble that socal classes as a freeway feel and they weigh up the rest. The performance is always a bonus but ford have sort of gone down that route with using mustang, my focus RS was a let down so fool me once ford not failing for it again.

Hopefully there will be more data to go on or ford acknowledge an issue before my GTPE turns up at the dealers, if it does leaves me underwhelmed then I will wait to try out the ioniq5 and also the q4 e-tron as I like the interior, neither have any sporty pretensions so I don't have to worry about that lol, for sporty then the kia EV6 GT is at the top of my list.

Brofessional

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GR86, 12 Accord, 18 Yukon, 21 Mach E GT
Country flag
Former fastest accelerating production car, to be more precise.

And yes the EPA range numbers are very different, but the Taycans have consistently beaten their estimated range in real world tests. For perspective, Car and Driver got almost equivalent ranges out of the 201 EPA rated Taycan Turbo S and a 326 EPA rated Model S 100D. From that test:

"More surprisingly, the Porsche held its own in our 75-mph range test. While the EPA says there's a 134-mile difference in the range between the two, extrapolating from our 100-mile run, the real-world difference amounts to 10 miles in the Tesla's favor. The Taycan also won the other speed test, with its consistently higher charging rate providing quicker recharging. Tesla's Supercharger network might have more stations, but it also has more users, and Tesla owners have faced long queues just to plug in during peak travel times. At the Electrify America outpost where we charged the Porsche, 15 other plugs went unused the entire time we were there."

Plaid seems like the kind of car that you Turo for a weekend, but never in a million years would I consider dropping 130k on something with paint that bad.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I am staying the course with my GT-PE order. Senseless to have waited this long and dump the order over something like this, which will likely be fixed OTA. I will probably like this car a lot.

Given how Ford has handled the reservation, ordering, and scheduling process, I donā€™t think Iā€™m buying another Ford.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I am staying the course with my GT-PE order. Senseless to have waited this long and dump the order over something like this, which will likely be fixed OTA. I will probably like this car a lot.

Given how Ford has handled the reservation, ordering, and scheduling process, I donā€™t think Iā€™m buying another Ford.
I like your optimism, the potential is probably no doubt there, however ford haven't even managed to fix Paak yet :( so who knows how long it will take OTA and update for this.

However I am with you on that if I do not walk away after my test drive and take delivery of the GTPE this will be the last ford I own as they appear to have learnt nothing from recent botched launches.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Former fastest accelerating production car, to be more precise.

And yes the EPA range numbers are very different, but the Taycans have consistently beaten their estimated range in real world tests. For perspective, Car and Driver got almost equivalent ranges out of the 201 EPA rated Taycan Turbo S and a 326 EPA rated Model S 100D. From that test:

"More surprisingly, the Porsche held its own in our 75-mph range test. While the EPA says there's a 134-mile difference in the range between the two, extrapolating from our 100-mile run, the real-world difference amounts to 10 miles in the Tesla's favor. The Taycan also won the other speed test, with its consistently higher charging rate providing quicker recharging. Tesla's Supercharger network might have more stations, but it also has more users, and Tesla owners have faced long queues just to plug in during peak travel times. At the Electrify America outpost where we charged the Porsche, 15 other plugs went unused the entire time we were there."

Plaid seems like the kind of car that you Turo for a weekend, but never in a million years would I consider dropping 130k on something with paint that bad.
Yep, I remember that comparison test as well. The P100D also shit the bed in repeated 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs, quickly being reduced to Camry or, ahem, Accord 2.0T 1/4 mile times ?. And Teslas never reach their EPA ranges. Unless you city drive and never use their acceleration potential.
Sponsored