DeniseW

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E PREMIUM
Country flag
Thank you for your help, berating, sarcasm. I am not a troll. I just have a life and don't have time to sit and read mean comments. By the way, received confirmation the battery is standard. Working out details now on what we will do.
Sponsored

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Thank you for your help, berating, sarcasm. I am not a troll. I just have a life and don't have time to sit and read mean comments. By the way, received confirmation the battery is standard. Working out details now on what we will do.
Ok then. Good luck with that. Hope you get your retribution.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That confirmation is wrong. Please come back and let us know what happens after the dealership discovers they were mistaken and there’s nothing to fix.

People here have offered to look up your build sheet. Have you taken them up on that offer?

You don’t have to rely on your dealer. As has already been suggested, just take the car down to a low state of charge and see how many kWh it takes to charge it back up.

Why did you post here if you’re not looking for suggestions? Just for retribution?

Last edited:

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
Oh, I agree. Dealers are stupid.

But just saying, they’ve seen the car, we haven’t. There IS a chance (very small May it be) that the wrong batter my was installed.

Wrong parts have been installed before:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/puddle-lights
panther.12696/
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ordered Extended Range Battery, Got the Standard 89C395C5-4119-4EEA-959C-0CA146419B6A
Yeah, but that was probably a vendor mixup at the light factory. The SR and ER batteries aren't a form/fit/functional replacement and couldn't accidently be used without notice.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah, but that was probably a vendor mixup at the light factory. The SR and ER batteries aren't a form/fit/functional replacement and couldn't accidently be used without notice.
Dunno. People make mistakes.

Just saying it’s possible.

More likely? Dealer #2 is wrong. But it should be fairly easy for a service department to confirm.

OP didn’t even specify the source from “dealer 2.” Was this a salesperson, tech or service manager?

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
OP didn’t even specify the source from “dealer 2.” Was this a salesperson, tech or service manager?
In my limited experience with my dealer's knowledge of EVs - could have been any of them. Even the service department is clueless.

Space Ghost GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE 450, space white GT received 11/04/22
Occupation
Nerd
Country flag
If anything you got the wrong car not the wrong battery.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Where did you receive confirmation? I don’t really see any mean comments toward you on here, it’s just something that people mistake all the time. The chances are very very low that you received the wrong battery. Heck if you got 240 miles on a standard range, that would be literally unbelievable.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
That confirmation is wrong. Please come back and let us know what happens after the dealership discovers they were mistaken and there’s nothing to fix.

People here have offered to look up your build sheet. Have you taken them up on that offer?

You don’t have to rely on your dealer. As has already been suggested, just take the car down to a low state of charge and see how many kWh it takes to charge it back up.

Why did you post here if you’re not looking for suggestions? Just for retribution?
Agreed - OP needs to post window sticker or VIN to confirm and take it to a DCFC and see how many KW was used.

Unless the OP drives it like a bat out of hell each time you accelerate or else live in a cold weather area (not likely as OP is So Cal) - range hit is inevitable...

It's hard to believe that Ford put in the wrong battery.

youdiscussedme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME CR1
Country flag
@DeniseW If you want your own confirmation of configuration, you can find a vehicle scale and place it on, and it's an actionable item that you can do immediately/without waiting on another individual/dealer to respond.

There are notable weight differences between the four possible configurations you're trying to confirm (these are curb weights - vehicle weight with no occupants or additional items inside) :
-A 2021 Premium AWD SR is 4548.136 lbs (2063 kg)
-A 2021 Premium AWD ER is 4810.487 lbs (2182 kg)
-A 2021 Premium RWD SR is 4340.902 lbs (1969 kg)
-A 2021 Premium RWD ER is 4596.638 lbs (2085 kg)

So if you have an AWD version (no assumptions drawn), then your vehicle would weigh very close to 4810.5 lbs if it is indeed an extended range.

Invoking maintenance actions to destructively inspect the battery cells for confirmation that can be done non-destructively runs the risk of causing damage to the battery cells, and other components in your vehicle. It's not to say those can't be replaced/repaired, but that also means more time in the shop (time is more valuable than money - time can't be regained).

This is an understandably frustrating situation, and the learning curve is steep for a lot of us stepping into a realm where the crossover at face value seems pretty seamless. Manufacturers did a great job of making an EV "look" a lot like an ICE, therefore we expect subconsciously expect very similar behaviors.

1. If you've not reset your driving history in a while, I'd start with that - if you're (or the other driver/s) a leadfoot (like I am), the vehicle will anticipate this, and produce a more conservative estimate for its range so it doesn't leave you stranded 20 miles short of your destination. It uses historical data (how it's been used) to anticipate future use. Resetting driving history will clear that historical data.

2. You've had this vehicle through a few seasons now. This is likely the coldest season you've had it in. Cold weather causes metals (and non-metals, but less so) to contract. They can physically contain less solution - this applies to the batteries. This reduced capacity isn't permanent, but is noticeably reduced in times of cold weather, and gets worse as the temperature reduces further. Its range will go back up in warmer months.

3. The marketing that has been placed on "outward facing" media regarding EVs is the ideal use scenario, just as ICEs mileage are their ideal use scenarios. The MME I just had delivered has a touted range of 312 MPGe. Will I ever see that? A month's paycheck says no - it's a sales point for them, and data from their tests under the juuuust right conditions that are the standard that they use to test other variables for NTHSA and other organizations.

Sorry for the long post - I know it's frustrating. Please give the weight a try before going for the nuclear option.

**EDIT: forgot to add my source for weight. Straight from Ford tech data. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-e Technical Specifications https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...-2/pdf/seo-pdfs/Mustang-Mach-E-Tech-Specs.pdf

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
We are looking at that as well. Dealership is working with us.
You don’t need the dealership to tell you if they sold you the wrong car. Just compare your VIN with the window sticker that says it’s an extended range battery.

Sorry, nobody is trying to be mean (well almost nobody). But we’ve owned these cars for a while now, and can tell you that 240 miles of estimated range in winter is completely normal for a car with an extended range battery.
Sponsored