kwlinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I just saw the video... looking forward to seeing his thoughts on everything that has changed since he last had the Mach-E for an extended period of time.

OutofSpecKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Smart ForTwo ED, BMW i3
Country flag
Would love to hear everything you’d like me to check out!
I won’t have much time with this car as my schedule is a bit wild but I promise I’ll grab another Mach-E soon to do all the deep evaluation stuff after the software updates the car has received!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Inserting obligatory "When does my 21 get it?"

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hey Kyle, looking forward to seeing the Hogback challenge with BlueCruise 1.2!

I got questions on charging.
  • Does preconditioning actually work in your testing?
  • What % SoC does the time-based charging curve stop hitting max kW?
  • Is there a difference on 150kW or 350kW charger?
  • Knowing it's a time-based curve (20 minutes of the fastest charging), how should your road trip charging strategy change to maximize speed over distance?
Does the GT still bounce around too much for your taste?

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I won’t have much time with this car as my schedule is a bit wild but I promise I’ll grab another Mach-E soon to do all the deep evaluation stuff after the software updates the car has received!
Charge at a Tesla SC with it. The charging curve has also been updated dramatically since your first video. Definitely a lot of quirks fixed with all the updates.

pimperial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT
Country flag
Are you doing the full hogback trial with it?

Curious to see how it does as well as your opinion of the auto curve slowdown it does to maintain driver assist features. Its a bit too aggressive for me sometimes slowing down so much it feels unsafe.

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Id like to see your thoughts on the newer brake calibration. IIRC you were a 2pd no auto hold driver in your last MachE. I have found the 1PD brake calibration better than 2PD.

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
Interesting that it only has 4.1.1 installed (didn’t see a dedicated camera button). Looking forward to the hogback challenge almost as much as getting the 1.2 update on my ‘22 :)

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Kyle, it looks like you got a standard spec 2023 GT, all the new ones come with BlueCruise 1.2 now from the factory. So far not seeing any software that hasn’t been already released. Ford hasn’t released BlueCruise 1.2 for 2021 and 2022 model years yet and we’re all wondering if that will happen (they haven’t said). Hoping you can run it through the Hogback again.

I’m guessing you have the same version of DCFC preconditioning we have. Right now it’s very crude and uses a fixed 30 km / 18 mi geofence from the charger to activate (too short in my opinion, which only gives 15 minutes of heating at interstate speeds). Because it shares the heater with the cabin it’s also very slow to heat the battery unless you COMPLETELY turn off HVAC. You can watch the battery temps in Car Scanner if you test it. Battery inlet temp will tell you when the pack is heating since there’s no indicator for battery heating.

You might have to drive in circles around the charger (set in nav) with the HVAC off to get the battery fully up to 25°C for DCFC.

If you want to know how to do all types of preconditioning on the Mach-E see my topic: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-cold-weather-charging-strategies.24548/

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Kyle, it looks like you got a standard spec 2023 GT, all the new ones come with BlueCruise 1.2 now from the factory. So far not seeing any software that hasn’t been already released. Ford hasn’t released BlueCruise 1.2 for 2021 and 2022 model years yet and we’re all wondering if that will happen (they haven’t said). Hoping you can run it through the Hogback again.

I’m guessing you have the same version of DCFC preconditioning we have. Right now it’s very crude and uses a fixed 30 km / 18 mi geofence from the charger to activate (too short in my opinion, which only gives 15 minutes of heating at interstate speeds). Because it shares the heater with the cabin it’s also very slow to heat the battery unless you COMPLETELY turn off HVAC. You can watch the battery temps in Car Scanner if you test it. Battery inlet temp will tell you when the pack is heating since there’s no indicator for battery heating.

You might have to drive in circles around the charger (set in nav) with the HVAC off to get the battery fully up to 25°C for DCFC.

If you want to know how to do all types of preconditioning on the Mach-E see my topic: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-lees-cold-weather-charging-strategies.24548/
I agree -- from looking at the video I think he's got a 2023 standard release of the APIM at least, because it doesn't have a camera button.

Of course, they could have shipped him something spicy and unreleased in the BC-related modules.

I would echo what others have asked -- the MME has smoother brake blending / 1PD and the revised charging curve and preconditioning since Kyle last tested it. Would be interesting to see how improved he finds it.

It will be fun also to see actually by how much a fully-charged EV6 GT smokes the Mach-E...

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I agree -- from looking at the video I think he's got a 2023 standard release of the APIM at least, because it doesn't have a camera button.

Of course, they could have shipped him something spicy and unreleased in the BC-related modules.

I would echo what others have asked -- the MME has smoother brake blending / 1PD and the revised charging curve and preconditioning since Kyle last tested it. Would be interesting to see how improved he finds it.

It will be fun also to see actually by how much a fully-charged EV6 GT smokes the Mach-E...
Yeah Kyle, test the low speed throttle and brake calibration again in 1PD and 2PD. Curious if you think it’s better or good enough.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
1. Does your software version have better route planning
2. Buy you some Starbucks if you get the HVJB to fail;)
Re 2, he is going to be taking it on some terrain in the Rockies, and "benchmarking" it with an EV6 GT, so the ingredients are there to stress out those contactors.
Sponsored