Status
Not open for further replies.

RSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E P ER
Country flag
Are we paying our Fair Share of highway taxes? Since those taxes are mostly a per gallon assessment, in most cases we are not and it isn't helping anyone. Some States are charging a fee when you register your BEV but that isn't fair either. There needs to be a tax based on miles driven and the weight of the vehicle. Here in upstate NY the roads took a beating this winter and road repairs are very expensive. There needs to be an equitable solution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RSF

RSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E P ER
Country flag
Small potatoes? How do you see paying for road repairs?

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Pretty sure a per mile tax is not fair or equitable unless it’s charged that way to ALL vehicles as ICE cars don’t pay per mile. Maybe take yearly gas tax and divide that by the number of registered ICE vehicles or $500/year but a per mile tax is out of the question. Or maybe….no gas tax at all and just make it a $500/yr registration fee for cars and light SUVs and $750/yr for full SUVs (talking Pilot, Escalade and such) and $1000/yr pickup trucks. If you want to lift your pickup then it’s $3000/yr.

OP
OP
RSF

RSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E P ER
Country flag
ICE vehicles pay per mile based on how much gas they use. All vehicles should pay the same way.

DugthePug Dad

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t know about you, but out here in California I already pay a ton of taxes.

I also pay more to register my MME.

I don’t want the government tracking my mileage.

UnforAll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E 4x Premium IB; '13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Occupation
Grad Student
Country flag
ICE vehicles pay per mile based on how much gas they use. All vehicles should pay the same way.
Here are links to previous threads on the forum about this topic. The first has Texas in the title but has input from members across the country. The second is specific to Virginia and lays out the state's approach -- flat fee on registration, or share telematics through the manufacturer or install an OBD device for tracking by third-party vendor to be charged for actual miles driven. Note that in Virginia the program does not differentiate between miles driven outside of Virginia or on private roads versus inside Virginia and public roads. However, this program can save the user money and be equitable since you are only charged for miles driven and if you do exceed the average mileage of all cars in Virginia (currently 11,600/year) you do not pay any more than the total highway use fee. https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/taxes-fees/mileage-choice

Texans could pay $200 annual fee to drive electric vehicles
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-annual-fee-to-drive-electric-vehicles.27740/

Virginia mileage choice program
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/virginia-mileage-choice-program.27630/

areacode413

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE
Country flag
In my opinion, this method of transportation taxation is preferable. In MA, we also pay an excise tax on vehicles which go to the general fund. Next to property taxes it is a top 3 revenue earner for the state. They can use the money to ignore potholes or fund general projects. There is a reason why we are called taxachusetts. NY is also a big tax state too. Can’t wait for the winter potholes to be repaired. Paying more in taxes won’t change the fact NewEngland is known for its crappy roads because of winter. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_tax_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

IMG_5253.jpeg

Last edited:

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Fortunately the “green energy transition” appears to have been indefinitely postponed, so we shouldn’t have a gas tax problem for a good long while. 👍

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I pay enough "road taxes" on gas for things that never touch a road (lawn equipment, generator, dirt bike, etc....). I'm good.

L4z3rUsLOng

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER Prem
Country flag
Virginia already charges usage fees for high mileage vehicles, to include hybrids and PHEVs. They offer a program that allows you to report actual mileage and decrease the burden called Virginia Mileage Choice. There is a maximum amount per year that you may pay that equals the flat charge they would have taken.

Blusteed

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Mustang GT Vert PP1, '21 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Notice how the new NY Inspection stickers include your current mileage. Never did in the past- that info now goes to NY State. Only a matter of time till they start taxing us all per-mile driven, now that they can measure it. Going to enjoy the freebee we're getting at the moment, cause it won't last.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Here in upstate NY the roads took a beating this winter and road repairs are very expensive. There needs to be an equitable solution.
After watching road construction work continue all winter in Upstate NY I would think this winter was one of the least hardest on the roads.

But you are right about an equitable solution being needed, gas taxes haven’t kept pace with inflation and more fuel efficient ICE vehicles further reduce the gas tax revenues. For now those of us with EVs in NY get a free ride but the number of EVs on the road are still dwarfed by the non-EVs so they aren’t yet a significant problem.

Registration fees can cover the vehicle weight and the required annual NY Inspection covers the use portion but I’ll guess there will be some that will find something grouse about, after all isn’t complaining about taxes a universal concept?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I pay twice the amount to register my EV's, even though the ICE vehicles they replaced weren't that much cheaper. And that's not including the $150 added to each vehicle as an "EV" tax, and the sales tax I pay on my electric bill.

I pay enough, thanks.

JustBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE, Impala, Santa Fe
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Wisconsin charges $175 extra per year for registration. Now they announced that they're finally going to start building out public charging but will add 3 cent per kwh tax. Seems like they're trying to discourage EV use.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.