Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I use this method, but it's a bit awkward because 1) The L button is in a spot that forces me to take one hand of the steering wheel, sometimes when I might want to have both hands on the wheel and 2) it only has one level of regen. I would prefer something I could squeeze (similar to pressing a brake pedal lighter or harder) to get the amount of regen I want.
You could use the brake pedal for that.
Sponsored

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
You could use the brake pedal for that.
No, because the brake pedal ALSO activates the physical brakes at some point (which I have no way of telling when they activate). Hence the term 'Brake Pedal'.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
If so, then that is just as bad on Tesla for not giving the option to the driver
Somewhere along the lines the range rules were slightly tweaked so that range was calculated with the default settings or most used setting (I no longer recall just which exactly). That’s when Tesla eliminated the creep type settings in favor of all regen all the time. For the range ratings.

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
If you use 1PD properly, the driving and braking profile should be exactly the same as driving a traditional 2 pedal. Articles like this assume that we drive 60mph and then just let go of the pedal at the last possible second. That is way too jerky and aggressive, of course there will be some regen loss...and also super uncomfortable for any passenger.

When you approach a stop, you slowly let off the gas pedal to mimic 'coasting', and then you let go of the gas pedal when necessary to come to a complete stop, just like pressing the brake pedal..

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
If you use 1PD properly, the driving and braking profile should be exactly the same as driving a traditional 2 pedal. Articles like this assume that we drive 60mph and then just let go of the pedal at the last possible second. That is way too jerky and aggressive, of course there will be some regen loss...and also super uncomfortable for any passenger.

When you approach a stop, you slowly let off the gas pedal to mimic 'coasting', and then you let go of the gas pedal when necessary to come to a complete stop, just like pressing the brake pedal..
That assumes you are coming to a stop and things are cut and dry. When we talk about "coast", we mean zero energy being transferred around the drivetrain. Driving with 1PD means you have to have the exact pedal position for that to happen. If anyone can tell me how to achieve that in the Mach-E with little to no effort, I'm all ears. As it is, there's no power meter for the vast majority of our cars, and I'm not talking about "butt feel" when it comes to accelerating or decelerating.

Again - remember, zero energy going in and out is the goal. Not "close enough".

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Porsche Taycan has a clutch but I've never read anything about it being used for energy efficiency. I think it's more for driving dynamics at higher speeds.
Isn't the Taycan a 2 speed transmission? If so, that explains the clutch (or whatever method they are using to change gears). The easiest way to accomplish a mechanical disconnect is via one way sprag device but those might not handle the torque very well.....and they would only function in a forward gear but that would suffice for the discussed application.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
No, because the brake pedal ALSO activates the physical brakes at some point (which I have no way of telling when they activate). Hence the term 'Brake Pedal'.
You can tell when the physical brakes grab, usually. Just depress the foot-movable regenerative activation lever in the footwell until your passengers are fully enmeshed in the windshield, and you will know that you have engaged the physical brakes. If you're stepping hard enough to engage the friction brakes, you probably need to engage the friction brakes.

Snark aside, you can kind of feel the texture of the braking change when the friction brakes engage.

Creegz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
Interesting, but sound dangerous.

Not easy to reach a paddle when turning. I wouldn’t want to rely on something like that to slow me down in the curves.
Paddles should be attached to the wheel so when you are turning it is accessible, GT, Formula, Indycar, and I think now NASCAR all use paddles which are very accessible. With the case of these though you generally aren't turning the wheel super far when you need to interact with them, or the wheel doesn't turn much to begin with. The exception to this rule is WRC where they use a fairly large push/pull paddle because in their case they need a stationary set of controls. The Formula E regen paddle is a useful concept, but the idea is you should be pulling a paddle like a regen (or even a clutch in many series like the various Formula series) paddle that you shouldn't be needing to interact with it mid-corner.

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Bottom line: Say I commute 40 miles each way five days a week. I drive in Whisper mode and always use regenerative braking. At the end of the fifth day, I will have used less electricity driving that commute with regenerative braking than if I had turned it off and only used the brake pedal each day for five days. Yes or no?

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
Bottom line: Say I commute 40 miles each way five days a week. I drive in Whisper mode and always use regenerative braking. At the end of the fifth day, I will have used less electricity driving that commute with regenerative braking than if I had turned it off and only used the brake pedal each day for five days. Yes or no?
All things being equal then you should have used the same amount....kinda

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All things being equal then you should have used the same amount....kinda
How is that possible? With RB I'm putting kinetic energy back into the battery. With friction brakes I'm just turning kinetic energy into heat. If what you say is true why have RB if it doesn't provide more energy than friction brakes?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
How is that possible? With RB I'm putting kinetic energy back into the battery. With friction brakes I'm just turning kinetic energy into heat. If what you say is true why have RB if it doesn't provide more energy than friction brakes?
The presumption about coasting is that you don't use the brakes at all.

That isn't a safe or realistic thing to do in regular traffic. This is why it's an inaccurate assertion that coasting gets you more efficiency. If you don't drive in traffic where braking is necessary, and you don't care that it takes you a long time to slow down from your cruising speed, then coasting is great.

If you drive the speed of traffic, then coasting isn't really any better and may be worse (because you'll be changing your speed according to the speeds of those around you and that often requires you to brake unexpectedly).

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
You can't "Turn Off" regenerative braking, you can only turn off 1 Pedal Drive. With 1 Pedal Drive deselected, the vehicle still uses regenerative braking when you press the brake pedal during normal driving operation.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Because when you use the brake pedal, you are still using regenerative braking. The friction brakes are used when the regenerative braking system can't fulfill the stopping request. I.e usually at low speed when coming to a stop. Or in a panic stop situation.
Sponsored