evfinder

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in
Country flag
So if you started at 100% that's a 255 mile range in cold weather on what I'm assuming was at least a significant portion being highway. Were you driving for range? Or just normally? You have three Premium 4X right?
I currently have a plug-in Prius so range is not a big deal but when I travel somewhere I usually check out the destination, and sometimes the route, on Plugshare.com. For example it shows me that there are 2 level CCS chargers and a level 2 charger located at the Hangtown Shopping Center in Placerville (it was working as of 2/3). A short stop there might be worthwhile if you are a little worried that you don't have enough charge to make it to the top of the pass. You shouldn't have a problem making it all the way back from Tahoe if you start with a full charge.

Tahoe also has several hotels that have level 2 chargers where you would be able to charge overnight (assuming they were available an working)

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
It seems like range variations are quite large for the few lucky members that had received their car.

How do we know if the battery has gone bad or change in weather?
Does it show battery health status like the iPhone (percentage of original capacity) on the vehicle health page?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
It seems like range variations are quite large for the few lucky members that had received their car.

Does it show battery health status like the iPhone (percentage of original capacity) on the vehicle health page?
Range variations are large for any EV. Check out any EV forum and you'll find a lot of "hey I'm not getting X miles!" questions.

Its par for the course for EV's and not something "wrong" with it. Since they are very efficient and there is no wasted "extra" energy (like all the heat generated by an ICE) anything that takes up a little more power to do (like heat the cabin and move the car in 20F weather) will have a greater affect on range than a comparable ICE.

There is a reason the range indicator is called the "guess O meter".

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag

The MME automatically adjusts its range estimate if weather is a factor, based on current exterior temps and I think even temps along your route if you have a destination programmed into the navigation. As for "going bad," battery degradation should be fairly minimal, as the car's battery buffer, ability to modulate charging speed, and battery thermal management system all work to preserve the life of the battery. Obviously it's unknown with a new model, but Teslas and Chevy Bolts have shown less than 1% degradation over 3+ years, and they use similar battery management systems. Ford's very aggressive battery buffer size is also a good sign for battery longevity.

darren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Mach-E
Country flag
Range variations are large for any EV. Check out any EV forum and you'll find a lot of "hey I'm not getting X miles!" questions.

Its par for the course for EV's and not something "wrong" with it. Since they are very efficient and there is no wasted "extra" energy (like all the heat generated by an ICE) anything that takes up a little more power to do (like heat the cabin and move the car in 20F weather) will have a greater affect on range than a comparable ICE.

There is a reason the range indicator is called the "guess O meter".
Oops. I am not complaining.

I think It is good that Ford is putting a lot of intelligence into the range number prediction. It gives confidence whether it shows 200 miles or 250miles. Thumb up for that.

In fact, Ford's approach fits my use case perfectly. My commute to work is short, but I need the range to take my son to his hockey game, which usually requires some driving. If the rink is 140 miles round trip and I start the car with the range showing 200miles. All I have to do is to drive like I always do, no need to make any adjustment.

On the other hand, the other approach will start with 270 miles, but after a few miles on the Freeway, it will drop to 230 miles. That will put doubts on my mind, and I will start slowing down or drive differently. This takes the fun out of EV.

I am just wondering if there is a way to know if the batteries have a problem.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oops. I am not complaining.

I think It is good that Ford is putting a lot of intelligence into the range number prediction. It gives confidence whether it shows 200 miles or 250miles. Thumb up for that.

I am just wondering if there is a way to know if the batteries have a problem.
Unlikely as it is for degradation to be big enough to be noticeable for years, I'm guessing it would show up in charging and usage stats. If the battery is holding less power due to degradation, I would think we'd see it taking fewer kWh to "fill" it. And similarly, going less distance for the same miles/kWh usage.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
That's a great tip about using campgrounds as a recharge location.
What type of adapter do I need for that?
I ask as my Mach-e will be my first EV and because at my son's house the previous owner set up an RV pad. So I may be able to recharge at his place when I visit.
You should be able to plug right in to a 30amp socket at any campground. For the 50 amp circuit you will need an adapter.
https://smile.amazon.com/Kohree-50-30-Amp-Plug-Adapter/dp/B07G55Y53V/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=ZJ5CJPLVAL84&dchild=1&keywords=50+amp+to+30+amp+rv+adapter&qid=1612476036&sprefix=50+amp+to+30+amp,aps,160&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExT0JNTFVLM0pZMExDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjA5MTcxQkxVWk9MNDgwWUVXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1NzM3NDUyVjJPQlpWQTdKVVlIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have not actually seen the plug on the Mach E charger adapter so it may need the little 90 degree ground plug. You can buy them either way.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
How do you coast with one pedal driving, is pressing the accelator very mildly with one pedal driving on allowing you to neither accelerate nor regen?
Hard to describe one pedal driving. We love it. It takes about a week to get used to the regen level and how to stop without using brakes. You will get good at it with a little experience.

On a different note. The other day I was following wife when she was driving our Leaf. I had not thought about it but the brake lights come on with hard regen. If she is just "slowly" slowing down they do not. Guess they have to do that to prevent you from being rear ended from unsuspecting driver.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's a great tip about using campgrounds as a recharge location.
Just remember that's it's only L2, and will only add something like 15-20 miles of range per hour of charging.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think it's the other way around. The Ford Mobile Charger (that comes with the Mach-E) has a 14-50 plug on it, so if the campground has a 14-50 outlet you can just plug right in. You'd need an adapter if the campground outlet isn't 14-50 though.

https://www.ford.com/ntzlibs/conten...-sheet/Home_Install_Spec_Sheet_0831_FINAL.pdf

Reactions: DBC

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
The other day I was following wife when she was driving our Leaf. I had not thought about it but the brake lights come on with hard regen. If she is just "slowly" slowing down they do not. Guess they have to do that to prevent you from being rear ended from unsuspecting driver.
This is set by regulation. The brake lights come on (or not) based on the deceleration. There is, however, some grey area. Technically it doesn't matter whether the mechanical brakes are involved though practically they won't come on with a mild deceleration and will come on with a strong deceleration. With the exception of a small grey area mentioned, when the brake lights come on is not a choice that Ford or Nissan is free to make.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
This is set by regulation. The brake lights come on (or not) based on the deceleration. There is, however, some grey area. Technically it doesn't matter whether the mechanical brakes are involved though practically they won't come on with a mild deceleration and will come on with a strong deceleration. With the exception of a small grey area mentioned, when the brake lights come on is not a choice that Ford or Nissan is free to make.
Makes sense - somewhat similar to taking foot of the accelerator (but not touching the brake ) - no brake lights even though you are slowing down

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I hope they come as close to ICE pattern as possible, since that's what other drivers on the road are used to and are trained to look for.

Any rate of deceleration quicker than normal ICE coasting should trigger the brake lights.

Reactions: ARK

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I hope they come as close to ICE pattern as possible, since that's what other drivers on the road are used to and are trained to look for.
Applies to all vehicles regardless of drive train.
Sponsored