Recall Information: High Voltage Battery Junction Box (23S56)

Mache_Nor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE LR RWD
Country flag
Life is too short to start getting lawyers involved for a cheap piece of tin. Lawyers have one reason to exist and it is to take cash from everyone that is involved. Therefore threats that won't happen may not get people to want to do something for me.

I am in the fool me once crowd. It is not due to the problems but because of the lack of transparency. No admission that there is something wrong. You are just left to deal with it and keep pushing and pushing for months for it to please be fixed.

Rant

They released software for the charging port having a burnt smell and melting, software for the HVBJB being under designed and under normal conditions leaving you stranded. Obviously both hardware problems. Software OTA to dumb/slow down the vehicle to something that does not meet the specs of purchase is not what I would say is making the car better. Can't image the decisions and effort that was involved to develop the software to do that for the final fix.

I have enjoyed learning this car like no other for a long time and think all and all it pretty much does what we need it to do. Just a couple of the basics that are still not working here. No acknowledgement of these problem by Ford that I am aware of. No bug list of any kind. Them saying we are aware of the problem and are working on it (or live with it) would keep us from having to do all that pushing. Admitting there is a problem is the first step ;)

Rant over.

You preconditioning the battery and your heated seat most likely had nothing to do with a HVBJB problem. Foot to accelerator and DCFC are the normal causes for problems with that.
I agree with you. Only one thing: I’ve been told that to change the part we are talking minimum a day of a mechanics work as well as the parts changed (plus various fees) - it quickly adds up to a hefty sum. For me it makes sense to demand that this is not something we should pay for by our own pockets. I don’t want to use lawyer, but if having to do so to set precedence I will have to. I intent to have the car for as long as it’s possible to drive, and on year 2 and soon to be third of same part is not promising.
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
exactly.

If you had a failure, with DTC to prove it, the part could be ordered via COPIS and be at your dealership in a matter of days.

Ford *should* allow dealerships to order ahead and inventory at least one on the shelf as they roll thru recall removal/replacements.
Mine just failed, and the dealer was able to get the part in 1 day. So it looks like Ford got their ordering system in order and stocking enough to repair failed HVBJB. Doubt they have enough to handle the recall currently.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I agree with you. Only one thing: I’ve been told that to change the part we are talking minimum a day of a mechanics work as well as the parts changed (plus various fees) - it quickly adds up to a hefty sum. For me it makes sense to demand that this is not something we should pay for by our own pockets. I don’t want to use lawyer, but if having to do so to set precedence I will have to. I intent to have the car for as long as it’s possible to drive, and on year 2 and soon to be third of same part is not promising.
Ford reimbursed my dealer 5 1/2 hours of labor to change out the HVBJB.

Mache_Nor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE LR RWD
Country flag
Ford reimbursed my dealer 5 1/2 hours of labor to change out the HVBJB.
Not too bad, saw others saying it was 7 hours. Also we are a bit unsure what happens after 100k warranty, likely we will have to pay this our self.
To break down what it would cost in Norway - money (you can use calculator on xe.com to get euros or dollars, but let’s say divide the numbers here on 8 to get your price):

1: Price for the work: roughly 1000 NOK each hour = 5500,-
2: Price for the part: unknown
3: Environmental fees: 2-300 NOK
4: Costs related to transportation to the dealer: Variable depending on your insurance and / or warranty, but quickly a couple thousands
5: Lost working hours: depending on a range of factors
6: Borrowing of a car: depending on insurance and such, sometime a self cost in fuel which will be substantially higher than electric
Total = Hard to say, but substantial.

Last edited:

hack-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Prem AWD ER MME
Occupation
Robotics Engineer
Country flag
That is what appears to be the case as many forum members who have had their HVBJB replaced have reported that their VIN has been removed from the recall list. But do not take this as gospel as we all have to wait and see.
My HVBJB was replaced recently with the remanufactured part and my VIN is still part of the recall. I'll let everyone know if I get removed.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Not too bad, saw others saying it was 7 hours. But let’s break down what it would cost in Norway - money (you can use calculator on xe.com to get euros or dollars, but let’s say divide the numbers here on 10 to get your price):

1: Price for the work: roughly 1000 NOK each hour = 5500,-
2: Price for the part: unknown
3: Environmental fees: 2-300 NOK
4: Costs related to transportation to the dealer: Variable depending on your insurance and / or warranty, but quickly a couple thousands
5: Lost working hours: depending on a range of factors
6: Borrowing of a car: depending on insurance and such, sometime a self cost in fuel which will be substantially higher than electric
Total = Hard to say, but substantial.
in the US, The part cost about 1000$. So labor and part and cost part are about the same (approximately 2K total). We don't have an environmental fee. If the car is still under warranty, Ford will tow it to the dealership at their cost. Ford will also cover a rental.

So you're really out the inconvenience and some time for the hassle of bringing your car in. Obviously it may be different in Norway.

Addos

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach E AWD
Country flag
The real fix sounds like it will need to be redesigned/re-engineered. So not only are they not admitting a design flaw in current models, but they aren't even keeping us informed of what new models actually will resolve the issue or whether they even plan to actually engineer a real solution to the problem in future models. I mean, hey, I understand, shit happens in early prototyping, but it has been how many years now, with current cars still using the same flawed design as the first ones that rolled off the assembly line. WTF hasn't there been attempts to redesign and actually fix the problem in newer model year cars? It is one thing to give lip service to iterative design and continuous improvement, and it is a completely different thing to be putting it into action. These are too expensive of cars, for them to be sitting on their laurels leaving faulty designs in place and stranding customers.

Cjaysmom

First Name
Sharon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach E Premium Standard Range AWD
Country flag
And to make it ever more confusing, the 23B50 update you had done wasn't even a recall. It's a Customer Satisfaction Program.
Thank you for being kind in your post. You are right. It is so confusing. The letter they sent said that the OTA could take up to 4 hours. The FDSR chuckled and said that it would only take an hour.

I do hope the trouble that you all are having gets resolved soon. With the amount of money these cars cost, Ford should be more on top of the situation.

Good Luck to everyone.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi Mustang Mach-E Owners,

Ford Motor Company has issued a recall for Certain 2021-2022 model year Mustang Mach-E extended range and GTs built between May 27, 2020 to May 24, 2022 related to failures of the High Voltage Battery Junction Box (HVBJB).

If your vehicle is included in this recall, you will receive a message from Ford soon with next steps.

In the meantime, you can also verify if your vehicle is included by entering your VIN at www.ford.com/support/recalls/

What is the issue tied to this recall?
Direct Current (“DC”) fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat on certain Mustang Mach-E extended range and GT models. Overheating may lead to deformation of the electrical contact surfaces, which can result in a contactor that is prevented from properly closing or a contactor that welds closed. An overheated contactor that is prevented from properly closing while driving can result in a loss of motive power.

What is the cause of the issue?
The high voltage battery main contactor is not robust to heat generated from multiple DC fast-charge and wide-open pedal events. A prior software update improved monitoring and management of the main contactor. Damage to the extended range and GT contactors caused by wear prior to the software update may reduce the effectiveness of the software.

What is the expected repair?
Once parts are available, owners will be asked to take their vehicle to a Ford dealer to replace the High Voltage Battery Junction Box.

Do I still need the software update related to this recall if I haven’t yet received it?
Yes.

Which vehicles are affected?
Certain 2021-2022 model year Mustang Mach-E extended range and GTs built between May 27, 2020 to May 24, 2022.

Why are Standard Range vehicles not affected?
Standard range contactors are not included because of the difference in heat generated in the contactors. The extended range and GT vehicles will see more current flow through the contactors than the standard range due, in part, to larger battery capacity and higher output electric drive motors.

What are you doing to take care of customers?
We are working through how we will support affected owners, including providing rentals and pick-up and delivery services.

Is there anything a customer can do to reduce the chance of the contactor overheating until their vehicle is repaired?
Until parts are ready, we ask that affected customers limit repeated back-to-back wide open pedal accelerations and use DC Fast Charging only when necessary.

Is there a warning sign that customers should be aware of?
For vehicles that previously received the software update in most cases, the software will proactively detect damage to the contactors and display a warning wrench light. If the contactors weld closed while driving, there will be no immediate effect on vehicle operation. Upon the next key cycle, a wrench light will be illuminated, and vehicle will not start. If the contactors are prevented from properly closing while driving, a wrench light will be illuminated, the vehicle will display “Stop Safely Now” and the vehicle will immediately lose motive power. The vehicle will coast to a stop, and all low voltage systems including power brakes, steering and lights will remain functional.

When will you notify customers of the recall?
We began sending letters to customers on November 3rd. Customers can also verify if their vehicle is included by entering their VIN at www.ford.com/support/recalls/

Will there be a charge to customers?
Customers will not be charged for service.

What is Ford’s reference number for this recall?
The reference number is 23S56.
Any idea if after the recall fix the warranty of replaced connector?

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I got the letters from Ford about the recall. It notified me to wait until they contact me for parts installation.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got the letters from Ford about the recall. It notified me to wait until they contact me for parts installation.
Basically we are all waiting for enough parts to be manufactured that Ford informs dealers they can begin ordering parts and scheduling repairs. When that time comes we will be notified.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
Hello folks.
Monday, the 20th of this month, is a recall maintenance day at my dealer. My MME is going in for couple updates, three recalls including the HVBJB. Minus the windshield and moon roof glass replacement. Nothing wrong with those two so far.
My dealer even asked me to pick up the ME at my place and deliver it back to me upon completion.
My dealer charges me nothing for any of the recalls. They have been very good with us all along the 25 years of customer relationship.
Couple of the recalls have to do with safety issues with safety belts or securing items in the cabin.
New hardware is needed which the vehicle has to be at the dealer.
All parts are available and in hand for my maintenance visit on Monday. Hopefully all goes well as always during my previous visits.
It will be ready for the Christmas Holidays were I am taking it to a long trip to Louisiana.
I will provide more info on the entire process of all the recall/updates.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hello folks.
Monday, the 20th of this month, is a recall maintenance day at my dealer. My MME is going in for couple updates, three recalls including the HVBJB. Minus the windshield and moon roof glass replacement. Nothing wrong with those two so far.
My dealer even asked me to pick up the ME at my place and deliver it back to me upon completion.
My dealer charges me nothing for any of the recalls. They have been very good with us all along the 25 years of customer relationship.
Couple of the recalls have to do with safety issues with safety belts or securing items in the cabin.
New hardware is needed which the vehicle has to be at the dealer.
All parts are available and in hand for my maintenance visit on Monday. Hopefully all goes well as always during my previous visits.
It will be ready for the Christmas Holidays were I am taking it to a long trip to Louisiana.
I will provide more info on the entire process of all the recall/updates.
Recalls cost no one anything.

The windshield and moon roof glass recalls need to be done. Both are integral parts of crash protection. The roof can detach and hurt others. Beside Clark Kent, no one can see into the adhesion of the vehicle on either part to determine it's adequate - Ford has determined that it is not.

The pickup at your place and returning is something that Ford pays the dealership for. My dealer offered to bring my Lightning to me last week, instead of picking me up with the shuttle. Given how few there are, and how so many people haven't driven them, I declined and took the shuttle.
Sponsored