AZMMESTAR

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium Star White FWD ER
Country flag
I'm experiencing a slower charging rate, and a steady amber warning light.
This has been reported many times on the various owners' groups, but my dealer is clueless.
They want me to leave the car for 2-3 days to check it out, and "maybe" will exchange the charger.
It's an hour's drive each way, no loaner, and they will "consider" providing a rental.
Does anyone have a Service Bulletin # I could refer to and/or a contact person at Ford?
Sponsored

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, 2013 Ford Focus
Country flag
Just replying because I've had the same problem as of a couple days ago.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Have you tried unplugging the charger from the wall, fully unplugging the pigtail part from the main charging unit and then firmly putting it back together?

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you tried unplugging the charger from the wall, fully unplugging the pigtail part from the main charging unit and then firmly putting it back together?
I've done that at least 3 times to no avail.

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Had blue cruise installed and told them about my charger issue. My dealer said no problem, but its still has the issue. I dont even think they have a 240v plug. Im really surprised Ford hasn’t had a bulletin out for it with so many having this issue. You just have to find a dealer that will replace it.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I assume you are referring to the amber light on the charger - correct? If so then does it go amber right away or does it need to charge for awhile? If it goes amber right away I would attempt to set up a time with the dealer, assuming they may have a spare mobile charger, to demonstrate that your charger has an issue. Of course if the other charger would also go amber then it could be a car problem. Just brainstorming a way that you may be able to go in to the dealer but get right back out. I can not see a way this can be resolved without at least a trip to the dealer.

OP
OP
AZMMESTAR

AZMMESTAR

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wiring has been double-checked by a licensed electrician.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I am 99.32% sure it is the EVSE (charger), and it is normal operation, unfortunately. There are a few more threads on the forum about this, but basically the EVSA overheats when ambient temperatures rise above comfortable room temperature. I just think the EVSE is a bad design. Mine does it.

You can get it to work properly by cooling the EVSE. I put mine on an extension cord and put the EVSE body inside the cooled house, instead of the hot garage, and the yellow light went out and the car charged normally. You could buy a cooler and stick it in there with some ice. Sounds stupid, but it should work.

I recommend buying another charger. Personally I purchased the Grizzl-E and put it in my frunk for when I need to do 240V charging on the road. I have a direct wired charger at my home.

The Ford EVSE works fine on 120V even when hot. It is just the 240V charging that causes it to overheat.

PrimeFuture

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
... the EVSA overheats when ambient temperatures rise above comfortable room temperature...
That likely explains it for me. With our 100+ degree days in Houston I could see the charger being on the struggle bus and overheating. I've got a JuiceBox on order because I need consistent home charging.

OP
OP
AZMMESTAR

AZMMESTAR

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Phoenix here, with garage temps of 100.
Is JuiceBox more suitable for a hot garage?

COACH CHRIS

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Select
Country flag
Probably a heat issue and I think anything out there is better than the Ford mobile EVSE.
Yep, it's almost certainly a heat issue. For my part, I had one that burned itself out after ~7 months of daily use (it's all I use at home - properly wired 240v, etc. etc.) Dealer replaced it, albeit with a confused look on their face, but alas, the problem has begun again. Noticeably, it happens when it's hot in the garage so I have faith that my current EVSE isn't broken, but just self-limiting.

Ultimately, this is OK, I guess. But do yourself a solid and buy a different EVSE if you're able.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Phoenix here, with garage temps of 100.
Is JuiceBox more suitable for a hot garage?
Yeah it's probably better... In my own research while shopping EVSEs, I checked into the data sheets for each EVSE for their operating temperature upper limits.

The ChargePoint Home Flex and Ford's Connected Charge Station appeared to be rated for up to 50C (122F) instead of the 45C (113F) or 40C (104F 🥶) that the majority of competing EVSEs are rated for.

I went with the FCCS but the CPHF is probably the best all around option for most people.

If you're an SRP customer, there are some discounted options on srpmarketplace.com, though the ChargePoint is often out of stock and that site only offers the less common plug with it.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag