Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Effective Jan 18 2021
SSM 49457 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E/F-150/Edge/Nautilus – Various SYNC 4 System Concerns – SYNC4 System Reboot Procedure

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E/F-150/Edge/Nautilus vehicles may require a reboot of the SYNC 4 system. For vehicles equipped with a volume/power and seek buttons, press and hold both the volume/power and seek buttons for 10 seconds and the system will reboot. For vehicles not equipped with a volume/power button, holding theseek right and volume down buttons on the steering wheel controls will reboot the SYNC 4 system. The Workshop Manual (WSM) is in the process of being updated with this procedure.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2021 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2021 TRUCK: FD P702N F150
2021 CAR: D9 U540N MKX
2021 CAR: GW CX727N C-EV
Sponsored

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
Effective Jan 18 2021
SSM 49457 - 2021 Mustang Mach-E/F-150/Edge/Nautilus – Various SYNC 4 System Concerns – SYNC4 System Reboot Procedure

Some 2021 Mustang Mach-E/F-150/Edge/Nautilus vehicles may require a reboot of the SYNC 4 system. For vehicles equipped with a volume/power and seek buttons, press and hold both the volume/power and seek buttons for 10 seconds and the system will reboot. For vehicles not equipped with a volume/power button, holding theseek right and volume down buttons on the steering wheel controls will reboot the SYNC 4 system. The Workshop Manual (WSM) is in the process of being updated with this procedure.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Should reboot be done at time of delivery?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Should reboot be done at time of delivery?
They are recommending the dealer do that as part of the pre-delivery prep.
Decided to post the info anyway because if Sync4A is anything like the earlier Sync versions then rebooting that thing is going to become second nature to us. ?

Chiefsfan

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS350
Country flag
Effective Jan 18 2021

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Are sync systems known to have issues?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Sync 1 .. not many
Sync 2/MFT ooh boy how long do you have???
Sync 3/MFT .. not as many as 2
Sync 4?

noflipping

First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium 4X, Focus Electric
Country flag
My Sync 2 has actually been bulletproof. Rebooted itself like 4 times in the last 6 years. Never had another issue.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
My Explorer with 2 has had no issues other than the fact that it is unintuitive - just a piss-poorly designed UI coupled with a horribly unresponsive touch screen.

I find my F150 with 3 to be excellent - probably in part due to how bad my Explorer is! Easy comp!

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
I'm with JamieGeek. My 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid's Sync 2/ MFT has been horrible...
- unresponsive touch / freezing screen
- random reboots by itself during driving or screen goes black
- weird intermittent issues like ambient lighting not correctly changing to the right color when pressed, and audio for power on/off not playing
- sirius XM will often will get slow between channel changes even when pressing the steering seek button
- and even though it was "updateable" they rarely provided any and eventually just discontinued support for that version

Although the APIM also failed right after the warranty expired so hard to say if that was the issue for some of the above, but still have seen the sirius, freezing and slowness issues since.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Have to add, however, that as the Bolt has gotten older (I only have a 3 year lease!) I don't think a week has gone by without it resetting itself, not starting up, stuck on the initial "Bolt EV" screen. I've learned the Ctrl+Alt+Del for the Bolt and have to use it quite frequently.

Perhaps it senses something? It noticed that I cleaned it out already...?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Sync 2 has actually been bulletproof. Rebooted itself like 4 times in the last 6 years. Never had another issue.
I haven't had problems per se, the voice controls just kinda suck. Especially for nav. Kinda have to know exactly what to say at each step. Years ago we just said "Screw this", and we type in any destinations ahead of a trip. Or just use Google Maps nav on my phone instead.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I see a lot of issues on the forums for various models so I would say it's a hot topic. I have no idea what percentage have issues though. I can only speak from my experience.

I think my daughter's 2012 Fiesta has the first generation of Sync. It's non functional now. When listening to music from her iPhone the speakers would sometimes blast static at the loudest setting possible. She finds it so upsetting that she doesn't even turn it on anymore and just listens with an ear bud.

My wife's 2015 C-Max has the Sync 2 think. Works good. We experienced an issue with it a few weeks ago but then we ended up with a dead 12v battery. With a working LVB, the Sync2 issue went away.

Sync3 in my 2017 Focus is excellent in function. I really like how quick it is and how well it's designed. Got glitchy a few months ago and within a week or two it was almost useless. $700 later for a new APIM and programming fixed the issue. :(
Warranty was expired. :(
Seems normal now though

If I end up with a Mach E then I'll likely look into some sort of extended warranty that covers the APIM and screen.