Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The 2023 GT’s B-version of the HVBJB seems like a better piece of garbage than the original. But it’s still garbage.

Starting now is when we should start to get an idea of how the latest GT and 4X boxes, the C and E versions, respectively, hold up for hot road trips and lots of DC charging.
Do yo know specifically what has changed?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Do yo know specifically what has changed?
All we know that was changed was the part number. Everything else is speculation. That said, I am hoping that the LK9Z-10C666-C is better than its predecessors. We won’t know until the heat of the summer hits and people are hitting long uphills and DCFC whether the current parts are any good. I plan on breaking mine again this summer in order to get the -C part. 🤷‍♂️🐩

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
I have a January 2022 build Mach E GTPE (purchased in May after a painful wait for the car due to chip shortages).

I am on my original HVJBJ and have not had issues. I have just under 20K miles and it is a daily commuter with occasional spirited driving, but it is not a race car. I have only used Level 3 charging once. Last year I had the software safety recall updates to try to reduce failures of the HVJBJ. I have tried a couple times to replace my HVJBJ in the past 8 months.

Last year, the parts were backordered and there were “10 cars in front of me”.

I tried again in January to get in line. They called me in March to say they had the parts, but I was traveling and missed the window.

I setup an appointment in April when I was told they had the parts, but when I came in the service advisor said: (Paraphrasing) “that was in error, we don’t have the parts and we still have cars waiting for parts (the service advisor that made the appointment with you no longer works here). I will call you and let you know when your parts are here.

On May 1, he called me and said this on my voicemail (transcribed):

“…Ford Motor Company right now has a stop from doing any recalls on the Mach E until further notice so for now just enjoy the car as much as you can there are not recalls available at this point until Ford tell us what to do.

Once they tell us what to do then I will let you know and I will make an appointment to call you and let you know the process, or if I have to order anything I will get it ordered it once I get it I'll give you a call. So for now just sleep tight and enjoy the car and I will call you once we get all you know what to do with the recall - OK thanks- bye”

So...I am still in a holding pattern. Thankfully my "time bomb" has not gone off.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have a January 2022 build Mach E GTPE (purchased in May after a painful wait for the car due to chip shortages).

I am on my original HVJBJ and have not had issues. I have just under 20K miles and it is a daily commuter with occasional spirited driving, but it is not a race car. I have only used Level 3 charging once. Last year I had the software safety recall updates to try to reduce failures of the HVJBJ. I have tried a couple times to replace my HVJBJ in the past 8 months.

Last year, the parts were backordered and there were “10 cars in front of me”.

I tried again in January to get in line. They called me in March to say they had the parts, but I was traveling and missed the window.

I setup an appointment in April when I was told they had the parts, but when I came in the service advisor said: (Paraphrasing) “that was in error, we don’t have the parts and we still have cars waiting for parts (the service advisor that made the appointment with you no longer works here). I will call you and let you know when your parts are here.

On May 1, he called me and said this on my voicemail (transcribed):

“…Ford Motor Company right now has a stop from doing any recalls on the Mach E until further notice so for now just enjoy the car as much as you can there are not recalls available at this point until Ford tell us what to do.

Once they tell us what to do then I will let you know and I will make an appointment to call you and let you know the process, or if I have to order anything I will get it ordered it once I get it I'll give you a call. So for now just sleep tight and enjoy the car and I will call you once we get all you know what to do with the recall - OK thanks- bye”

So...I am still in a holding pattern. Thankfully my "time bomb" has not gone off.
The stop on the recall was because of the powertrain software that caused 1PD to disengage without notice and (to a lesser extent) the unexpected drive mode switching. Just over a week ago a new suite of powertrain software was released on FDRS that seems to fix this. There was a resume service order sent out last week, so your dealer should be able to do the recall again. 🤔🐩

cammisuli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Mach E 4x
Country flag
sounds like you need a different dealership... ask them how many HVBJB replacements they have done already.

This *should* be a straighforward process.... <5 days to get parts via COPIS
...you *should* have your car given back to you to drive until work is scheduled
schedule remove/replace
1-2 days to do the HVBJB and FDRS related software modules
Yea.. It seems like I'll have to go ahead and start the process again with another dealership.

cammisuli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Mach E 4x
Country flag
Oh. It appears that other dealerships aren't going to be doing the recall/ordering parts because of a memo put out to stop all work on it (probably related to the 1PD issues). I suppose thats still in effect in Canada?

I guess I'll have to wait another month or so 😓

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All we know that was changed was the part number. Everything else is speculation. That said, I am hoping that the LK9Z-10C666-C is better than its predecessors. We won’t know until the heat of the summer hits and people are hitting long uphills and DCFC whether the current parts are any good. I plan on breaking mine again this summer in order to get the -C part. 🤷‍♂️🐩
That was my point in a round about way. I am not sure that there has been any change other than part number and manufacturer since June of 22 when they went with new contactors. But you never know if someone might have some inside knowledge.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know what part they're waiting for. I assumed it was the one part - the actual HVBJB. When I first called, they got 1 part fairly quickly in a couple days. Then when I went in, they said they needed another part. This part is unknown to me 🤷‍♂️
Number one find out the part. Then phone Ford about the part.

sean7512

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT Grabber Blue & Cyber Orange
Country flag
The 2023 GT’s B-version of the HVBJB seems like a better piece of garbage than the original. But it’s still garbage.

Starting now is when we should start to get an idea of how the latest GT and 4X boxes, the C and E versions, respectively, hold up for hot road trips and lots of DC charging.
Well someone already has had an E part fail....I would assume its not looking good....

Shepherd

First Name
Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E GT, Carbonized Grey. "Magneto"
Occupation
Federal Government
Well someone already has had an E part fail....I would assume its not looking good....
I read Mach-Lee's excellently nerdy analysis of the HVBJB components and its failure. He said the GT's part was more robust, but still, don't go out and do a few 0-60s and then DC fast charge it. Since I'm unlikely to do that :fingerscrossed: how worried should I be about it in general, or maybe just be careful DC fast charging in the summer heat? My GT was built in June 2023.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I read Mach-Lee's excellently nerdy analysis of the HVBJB components and its failure. He said the GT's part was more robust, but still, don't go out and do a few 0-60s and then DC fast charge it. Since I'm unlikely to do that :fingerscrossed: how worried should I be about it in general, or maybe just be careful DC fast charging in the summer heat? My GT was built in June 2023.
Have you had your car’s original HVBJB fail and replaced since January 2024? If you’re still on its original box, the B-version, I think you’re still at risk of failure. Supposedly it’s less likely to die but I wouldn’t bet money on it.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would not worry at all. Sure it could fail just like anything. If you wanted to take the time, and I don’t recommend it unless you are really worried, you could go through the posts and you will find that there appears to be a significant reduction in issues since June of 22. Sure there have still been some and in most cases it is not a SSN but a SVS error so you can still drive the car at reduced power. I have a 22GT and never changed my driving habits and never had an issue. I did get the recall work done and will continue to drive just the same. If I were you I would just driving it like you want and enjoy the ride!

hartmms

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500, Mach-e GT-PE
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
my '23 GTPE Pony is back in the stable with a brand new HVBJB. :)

MazzMayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Well i'm back on the forum.
Had the HVBJB replaced in 9/22, Powertrain malfunction - rear motor coolant system failure 9/23 and now back in the shop and they ordered a new HVB (more details when I get them).

I wanted to love this car but if regular driving, regular charging is going to have me + 2 1/2 months in service in its 2 1/2 years (33,000 miles) it may be time to move on from the brand. That's more than enough but the difficult policies for service; wait and see for rental/loaner, supply chain, and techs available.

MachJack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
3024 Claremont Rd Shaker Heights OH 44122
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD extended battery
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I searched and don't see if this is directly addressed, so apologize if I've missed it. I had my HVBJB replaced a week ago, which as is written in this thread includes updates to the drivetrain software. I immediately took a road trip with alot of DC Fast charging. It seemed to me that the car allowed for faster charging, although since I'm now using Tesla exclusively I can't tell if it's the charger or the car. I was routinely getting 150Kwh when my level of charge was below 30% and then maintained around 105 until 80%. Previously it would only hit 150 very briefly and then stay around 70-80 up until 80% when it dropped further. Is anyone else experiencing this? I would think with a better HVBJB they should allow faster charging, so this makes sense. Actually, I think they should open it up and allow even faster. But if this is real I'll take it.
Sponsored