Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Occupation
Federal Employee
Country flag
Hi friends,
I had a curious tick pertaining to the navigation system that come pre-integrated in the Mach-E's. So I was reading about some manufacturers been offering google maps as their choice of integrated nav systems in their vehicles. I have owned a 2016 ICE Mustang premium and almost never used the nav on it as they are so 'yesterday'!!.

In my opinion google maps is probably the best nav service in the US and probably the rest of the world considering all the crowd data that google collects.

Curious if we have an option with the sync 4 systems where we can choose not to use the integrated nav systems, but use a 3rd party app integrated with the car's system rather than relying on your phone.

If I am sounding obscure, what I mean is :
1. if I don't want to use the fords nav systems,
2. I don't want to use the several 3rd party EV charge station nav apps on my phone

Do we have an option to use an onboard app that will give you the same capabilities as the ford factory nav does? Is there a possibility of having something like that in the future, given all it will take a code??

Thanks
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Well I know you said don't use your phone but Android Auto and Apple Car Play essentially do what you're asking about.

Especially now that they can put the turn by turn directions up on the dash display.

Even "integrated with the car": A Better Route Planner can hook to an OBD reader (granted with mixed results).

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
Especially now that they can put the turn by turn directions up on the dash display.
I think this is just Apple, which, as a diehard Android user, makes me sad. But maybe it will be working by the time I actually get mine.

UPDATE: I stand corrected, Android seems to be working

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is just Apple, which, as a diehard Android user, makes me sad. But maybe it will be working by the time I actually get mine.
Well I'd go check but my Mach-E went back to the dealer this morning for the glass recalls and 21P22.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Iā€™ll bet that AA turn by turn on the IP isnā€™t far behind. After all, theoretically, it should be a matter of projection?

JeffGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ext range
Country flag
My last car was a 2017 Audi A4. It came with Google as the nav system and that's all I used, loved the ability to go to Google Maps on my computer and send a destination directly to the car. [Especially because of the lack of a touchscreen and nearly unusable touchpad in the car, and iffy voice control plus frequent password requests.]

Until it didn't - the contract with Google was supposed to expire 12/31/2020 but they cut it off in October 2020. I paid for that privilege ($199 every 6 months). It had a second native Nav which kinda sucked and didn't get updated as near as I could tell (traffic still worked). I called to complain and was told an update was available at the dealer to move to their new system (Here), emailed the dealership and they said "no such thing". But a few months later I got a notification that it was. Since each update required a prolonged trip to the dealership, usually several days, I avoided it. And then traded the Audi in when I got the MME.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
I use wireless Android auto on my MME. I use Google maps for navigation and the turn by turn instructions show up on the small display above the steering wheel (as well as the large touch screen obviously)

OP
OP

Ani_PonyUp

First Name
Ani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium
Occupation
Federal Employee
Country flag
Well I know you said don't use your phone but Android Auto and Apple Car Play essentially do what you're asking about.

Even "integrated with the car": A Better Route Planner can hook to an OBD reader (granted with mixed results).
Interesting in learning more about the ABRP with OBD. Still think if I can drive the car with a passcode and not having my phone. I should still be able to use apps like ABRP seem less.
Thanks Jamiegeek

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
What Iā€™d really like is a range bubble that takes into account elevation changes on the map. I think Porsche does that in the built in nav. Does anybody know if any 3rd party apps do this or if ford has promised this as a development goal?

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Hi friends,
I had a curious tick pertaining to the navigation system that come pre-integrated in the Mach-E's. So I was reading about some manufacturers been offering google maps as their choice of integrated nav systems in their vehicles. I have owned a 2016 ICE Mustang premium and almost never used the nav on it as they are so 'yesterday'!!.

In my opinion google maps is probably the best nav service in the US and probably the rest of the world considering all the crowd data that google collects.

Curious if we have an option with the sync 4 systems where we can choose not to use the integrated nav systems, but use a 3rd party app integrated with the car's system rather than relying on your phone.

If I am sounding obscure, what I mean is :
1. if I don't want to use the fords nav systems,
2. I don't want to use the several 3rd party EV charge station nav apps on my phone

Do we have an option to use an onboard app that will give you the same capabilities as the ford factory nav does? Is there a possibility of having something like that in the future, given all it will take a code??

Thanks
Android Auto integrates seamlessly with your Sync4 infotainment system, and all it takes is the initial pairing, then after that every time you enter your vehicle Android Auto and Google Maps is available on the infotainment system wirelessly at the push of a single button without having to touch your phone.

Going forward, Ford did mention that the entire infotainment system would be migrating to Android installed natively on the infotainment system, and this would give us a native version of Google maps which is aware of onboard available state of charge of the vehicle, and can make intelligent routing decisions to chargers on your planned route. This was not supposed to happen until 2023 if I'm not mistaken. But for now Android Auto will do what you need and works really well wirelessly.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Interesting in learning more about the ABRP with OBD. Still think if I can drive the car with a passcode and not having my phone. I should still be able to use apps like ABRP seem less.
Thanks Jamiegeek
It seems like auto manufacturers are probably going to forego them offering more options for stuff and just rely on people utilizing their phone if they want something different now that wired/wireless CarPlay and Android Auto are becoming more prevalent.

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
Wait, since when? Is it again because Iā€˜m stuck on 1.4 that Iā€˜ve never seen that feature?
I was about to pipe in too - Android Auto has shown turn-by-turn on my instrument cluster since day 1, and I have a January 2021 build date (ie original software.) What kind of phone do you have? Android version?
Sponsored