harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
OK, I'll rephrase to be more specific: No downside whatsoever to the consumer - unless you have trouble making decisions.
The biggest downside for the consumer is when they aren't ordering the vehicle the way they want. They have to hope dealers are ordering vehicles the way they'd want, which we know is tough where there are lots of options. It always works out, so I still agree with having more options available for those that are ordering.

With so much automation, don't only offer packages. Offer packages, plus all the options in a package al-la-carte.
Sponsored

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
This post is stupid and the OP should feel bad for posting it.
I don't - And actually knowing this bummed you out that much to post this, really made me even happier I did.

I was only saying what I would do if i was the product manager tied to the P&L of this new product.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I still agree with having more options available for those that are ordering.

With so much automation, don't only offer packages. Offer packages, plus all the options in a package al-la-carte.
I could see that working well - The burger-king "have it your way" if you're willing to pay extra and wait longer that would be a great option for those who want the standard Whopper - boom here it is!

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Welp, I like my RT 1, it has everything I need and nothing I don't.

The idea of the CA RT1 is back in the day, you wanted a Mustang, but you only need the basics, not cheap, just basics. You ripped out your back seat, pulled the insulation out, the appearance things you really didn't need so you could go faster/look 'cool'

I don't need heated seats/wheel (I'd like ventilated seats in the hot CA sun and I'm sure those in desert states would like them too!)

I don't need a B&O system, the system installed works great, I'm not into thumping subwoofers etc, It's not a convertible so don't need the power in my quiet ride.

and most of the other 'trim/appearance' options.

I'm not sure the big difference between the Premium headlamps vs CA RT1 Projector/Reflector but I'd love it while I'm hitting a curve, the side lights illuminate the road as the headlamps illuminate the curve. As far as the brightness of the CA RT 1 lights, they work for me.

Besides California RT1 is just perfect for SoCal

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Disagree on OP’s packaged tiers, especially the Performance Edition. There is a reason I ordered a GT-PE with a body colored metal roof.

I agree with @harrysiii on allowing the purchase of separate options. i would have purchased Co-Pilot 360/Active 2.0 if it wasn’t also mandatory to get the Pano roof.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Welp, I like my RT 1, it has everything I need and nothing I don't.

The idea of the CA RT1 is back in the day, you wanted a Mustang, but you only need the basics, not cheap, just basics. You ripped out your back seat, pulled the insulation out, the appearance things you really didn't need so you could go faster/look 'cool'

I don't need heated seats/wheel (I'd like ventilated seats in the hot CA sun and I'm sure those in desert states would like them too!)

I don't need a B&O system, the system installed works great, I'm not into thumping subwoofers etc, It's not a convertible so don't need the power in my quiet ride.

and most of the other 'trim/appearance' options.

I'm not sure the big difference between the Premium headlamps vs CA RT1 Projector/Reflector but I'd love it while I'm hitting a curve, the side lights illuminate the road as the headlamps illuminate the curve. As far as the brightness of the CA RT 1 lights, they work for me.

Besides California RT1 is just perfect for SoCal
My intentions was not to crap on the CA RT1, I am very happy you're happy with you car. I would never down play that a $50+K car is anything less than great. If anything I was expecting my "GT-Select" note cause some flack.

I drive a Select for similar reason - Didn't want pano-roof, the Premium sounds and lights wasn't important in my buying decision and wasn't going for the extended range battery. A similar premium would have been only about $2K more - if that was in stock I might have gotten it just because.

GT-Select (jokes) and higher was never in my thought as I couldn't justify the money in my use case. Although - Now that i have driven GT-PE around a track once i might have the bug.

I haven't driven RT 1 or RWD version personally - the size and weight of this thing just seems like AWD is a must for power associated with mustang, I know that's the biggest knock of the ID4 - besides it being boring too look at.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
My intentions was not to crap on the CA RT1, I am very happy you're happy with you car. I would never down play that a $50+K car is anything less than great. If anything I was expecting my "GT-Select" note cause some flack.

I drive a Select for similar reason - Didn't want pano-roof, the Premium sounds and lights wasn't important in my buying decision and wasn't going for the extended range battery. GT-Select (jokes) and higher was never in my thought as I couldn't justify the money in my use case. Although - Now that i have driven GT-PE around a track once i might have the bug.

I haven't driven RT 1 or RWD version personally - the size and weight of this thing just seems like AWD is a must for power associated with mustang, I know that's the biggest knock of the ID4 - besides it being boring too look at.
GT - select lines up nicely with the Base ICE GT model - all power, not many frills - keeps the weight down.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Possible - I would say the Pandemic proved this just-in-time manufacturing approach gets completely squirrelly in a crisis. Streamlining inventory and manufacturing process reduces the amount of parts you need to manage.

I can see a day when cars are only offered as white or base coat and you get it vinyl wrapped any color you want at the dealer/ service center. :)
As someone who at one time studied/implemented the Toyota production system in a manufacturing environment (2000-2005 with the fantastic help of The Kaizen Institute of NA) I’ll say this, JIT doesn’t get “squirrely” in a crisis, it can, however, get that way in a once in 100 years globe-spanning event.
In fact, JIT methodologies can actually improve change over/ramp up times in crisis situations. Toyota was able to weather the Covid chip shortage very well until just recently because they stockpiled chips and other parts of concern after the quake/Fukushima disaster in 2011. JIT doesn’t mean you can’t have any excess inventories whatsoever, but you definitely can’t be carrying excess in everything. JIT is also only as good as those who are running the procurement side of things - hello purchasing and forecasting depts. ?.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
Tesla is an American company, investing in R+D and Technology development in the USA where most aren't. The cars are built in US factories with US workers they added supercharger everywhere that requires hiring workers and hey, they developed the EV market, we wouldn't have Mach-E if there wasn't a Tesla first.
Beg to disagree. Tesla is mostly a Chinese company, and increasingly so. They also have a large debt they owe to Chinese investors and very restrictive contract they signed. It's also likely their Chinese manufactured cars and parts will be exported everywhere.
It's not a secret that Tesla never made a profit from selling cars and they only exist as long as there are subsidies of some sort and investment capital keeps pouring in (typical ponzi). As those disappear while competition eating their market share they will have no other choice but selling the company to Chinese.
So if anything, Tesla is not a model to follow, especially if you can't create a cult like that led by Electric Messiah, King of the Juice.

Last edited:

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
There should only be 2 configs , 3 max.

Standard (RWD, Standard range battery)
Premium/GT (AWD, extended battery)

Oh, also open up Ford show rooms and service centers. I'm sick of dealing with scam artist dealers and it's why I still don't own a Mach E.
Let's go full communist and limit to two options: 1) car, 2) no car.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Beg to disagree. Tesla is mostly a Chinese company, and increasingly so. They
Agreed to disagree. That's like saying Ford is a Mexican, Canadian, and Chinese because they get all their parts from China and manufacture in mx and Canada. And used it's lobbying money to block EV development to align themselves with oil companies that have ties to terrorist organizations.

This is not a political debate web site.
Sponsored