This bothers me...

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
If in use, the battery and motors will develop heat instantaneously.

Heat pumps pull heat from the environment. Close warm batteries and motors may make it more effective, though there is no indication the intent is to warm from that source. However, a heat pump could warm the cabin even if the motors weren’t drawing current
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
If in use, the battery and motors will develop heat instantaneously.

Heat pumps pull heat from the environment. Close warm batteries and motors may make it more effective, though there is no indication the intent is to warm from that source. However, a heat pump could warm the cabin even if the motors weren’t drawing current
Seems like Kia/Hyundai and Tesla are getting range improvements through heat pumps.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...honing-heat-pump-tech-for-next-generation-evs

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
OP
OP
Redundant

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
I think I remember one article with an interview where a Mach-e designer was asked about heat pumps. I think they said they didn't add that (yet) to the Mach-e because of cost and complexity reasons. But sounded like it might be a possibility in future model years.
Yeah. Of course that is why I started this thread. I am concerned about rapid obsolescence.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah. Of course that is why I started this thread. I am concerned about rapid obsolescence.
Yeah, that's probably inevitable with a first-year BEV. It just costs so much to develop a new vehicle from scratch with very little copycatting that they can take from previous/related models. But once it establishes a steady revenue stream for a few model years, they can add a few things without diluting focus, and without breaking the bank.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I think I remember one article with an interview where a Mach-e designer was asked about heat pumps. I think they said they didn't add that (yet) to the Mach-e because of cost and complexity reasons. But sounded like it might be a possibility in future model years.
I live in central Texas, and it rarely freezes here and I could personally care less about the method of cabin heat that I might end up using a few times / year. We are an 8+ month cooling zone here, so much more concerned about the roof glass emittance and the A/C !!! :)

I totally get those in heating zones are concerned about the resistive heating vs. heat pump debate though. Hey, maybe y'all should move down south!

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah, that's probably inevitable with a first-year BEV. It just costs so much to develop a new vehicle from scratch with very little copycatting that they can take from previous/related models. But once it establishes a steady revenue stream for a few model years, they can add a few things without diluting focus, and without breaking the bank.
After thinking about it a bit, it's sort of makes sense why Tesla does the things it does in manufacturing.

Autoline did a recent bit on this subject that was really interesting. So apparently until recently, the traditional product cycle was about 6 or 7 years with a mid cycle refresh about 3 or 4 years into the generation. The product cycle has shortened a bit to 5 to 6 years with the mid cycle change down to 2 or 3 years but with the rapid progression of technology in the EV space, the traditional product lifecycle just doesn't work anymore.

Which brings us back to Tesla, which incorporates upgrades into the product about as fast as they can develop them. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing but it definitely makes sense in that context. For example, I could see Tesla including a heatpump into the Model 3 this year at some point and so all of a sudden Model 3s get a range boost.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
After thinking about it a bit, it's sort of makes sense why Tesla does the things it does in manufacturing.

Autoline did a recent bit on this subject that was really interesting. So apparently until recently, the traditional product cycle was about 6 or 7 years with a mid cycle refresh about 3 or 4 years into the generation. The product cycle has shortened a bit to 5 to 6 years with the mid cycle change down to 2 or 3 years but with the rapid progression of technology in the EV space, the traditional product lifecycle just doesn't work anymore.

Which brings us back to Tesla, which incorporates upgrades into the product about as fast as they can develop them. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing but it definitely makes sense in that context. For example, I could see Tesla including a heatpump into the Model 3 this year at some point and so all of a sudden Model 3s get a range boost.
It will make the service and parts people go crazy. Once the vehicles are older, it will be hard to know which models have which parts since they may not be the same within a model year. You don't see this problem until the product gets old enough. They basically treat the product more like a consumer product, but those are considered throw away, so no service needed.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It will make the service and parts people go crazy. Once the vehicles are older, it will be hard to know which models have which parts since they may not be the same within a model year. You don't see this problem until the product gets old enough. They basically treat the product more like a consumer product, but those are considered throw away, so no service needed.
It used to be an issue when all parts departments had were books issued with parts by year and subdivided by options. Now it's all in a computer and you can check the full car by entering the VIN - at least in dealerships.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
It used to be an issue when all parts departments had were books issued with parts by year and subdivided by options. Now it's all in a computer and you can check the full car by entering the VIN - at least in dealerships.
Good point, the build sheet is attached to the VIN. I have experienced that exact scenario with a car that I ordered with custom options from the factory which later needed service.

But, that process might be prone to breaking down if, for example, an original part "A" from the factory was replaced on a car with a part "B" and either it wasn't done at a dealership so the computers were not updated, or due to human error. This might be, in part, why Tesla is somewhat protective (I'm trying to use nice words here) of their after-sale support process.

This is not an insurmountable problem, it's merely a logistics issue, but thought I'd highlight it nonetheless. It is a changing world, so the automotive industry just needs to change with the times!

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
This has been prevalent in the computer industry for years. MacBooks are just "the new MacBook" or the one that came out about 2019, or whatever. iPhone's seem to be an exception to this for whatever reason as far as Apple products are concerned. Drives me nuts. My HP Spectre x360, trying to find support for that is a pain because again, there is no version number. {/endrant}
Sponsored