Sully11740

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E premium (on order)
Country flag
Could be stupid suggestion, but can't you attach to the tow points from UNDER the car from the back with some sort of "guide" to keep cable/straps from damaging bottom of car? At least to get it out of garage and driveway.
Sponsored

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
EU law mandates front and rear tow hooks -- Ford has different bumpers for the EU, but in their infinite wisdom, they have a DIFFERENT bumper for the US that has no thread for a tow hook!
Probably it saves them $0.50 per car doing it that way 🙄

Rocketman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Premium RWD ER
Country flag
Need to place front wheels on dollies and lift back end. There are examples somewhere on the forum.
this is one way to get it done.

6202D338-1A9A-41C1-B0A9-42660C6430EE.jpeg

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Could be stupid suggestion, but can't you attach to the tow points from UNDER the car from the back with some sort of "guide" to keep cable/straps from damaging bottom of car? At least to get it out of garage and driveway.
NO do not do this. Not sure about the suspension and what kind of damage you might do to it if you yank it, but the battery rail holes which are very tempting and seem obvious to latch onto rip like butter and trash the battery pack from what I've heard.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Probably it saves them $0.50 per car doing it that way 🙄
Yeah, between that and not proactively offering to replace our HVBJBs, it's great to see that Ford is looking after its customers with a quality product and experience.

OP
OP

Jarrattp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3 AWD ER
Country flag
NO do not do this. Not sure about the suspension and what kind of damage you might do to it if you yank it, but the battery rail holes which are very tempting and seem obvious to latch onto rip like butter and trash the battery pack from what I've heard.

Torchwood

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-e Premium AWD
Country flag
Oh my. Really sorry to see this happen to you and I am glad no one was hurt. I don't know about installing a tow hitch but I am trying to always back into parking spaces now, even at home

Parasmoney

First Name
Paras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Better yet, put all 4 on dollies and spin the car around. (Assuming there is sufficient room of course....)
This is what I had to get my tow guy to go buy just to get my car out of the garage. It would not go into neutral. I think anyone that owns a MME needs to really understand how the car needs to be towed and should micro manage the towing company else the chances of them screwing up go up exponentially.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 B1935A63-B6C0-4642-9555-B1AA7759C5A2

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is what I had to get my tow guy to go buy just to get my car out of the garage. It would not go into neutral. I think anyone that owns a MME needs to really understand how the car needs to be towed and should micro manage the towing company else the chances of them screwing up go up exponentially.
B1935A63-B6C0-4642-9555-B1AA7759C5A2.jpeg
Did you activate EMERGENCY TOW, or did it just not work?

As more EVs hit the roads, those dollies will probably become standard issue on most tow trucks in the coming years. Also a safer option if they don't really know how each model works. Seems like they're all different.

OP
OP

Jarrattp

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3 AWD ER
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Towing out from driveway back first 😱 B1935A63-B6C0-4642-9555-B1AA7759C5A2
Looks very sensible but how do you push that up a driveway that’s 15 degree incline?

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Looks very sensible but how do you push that up a driveway that’s 15 degree incline?
I think what is done in that case is to winch the car up onto the flatbed tow truck by attaching a winch cable to the rear dollies. Of course one would want to strap each wheel to its respective dolly before doing this - especially since your driveway is steep. By the way, is it really 15 degrees (that's about a 27% grade)?

PS. I'm terribly sorry about what happened to your poor car and garage!

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME CR1 AWD
Country flag
Too late now, but if the tow driver had strapped onto the lower control arms this would not have happened. I am guessing the hooks tore out of the soft battery rails and gravity took over. Sorry man, this is awful to see.
Yep, I get amused by everyone here freaking out there are no rear tow points. Hardly any vehicles have them. Go watch Matt's Off-Road Recovery on YouTube; they pull on control arms all day long day after day with no issues.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am saddened to see this also.
in fact, I am so disappointed to see Ford not addressing the issues that they have known about for a long time. Had they handled this problem better these things would not have happenEd to begin with. They should have communicated with the buyers AND the tow truck companies. Does anyone else get the feeling that Ford is just shutting their eyes and hoping all this will pass on its own? They knew this might happen to all of us. No matter who gets screwed? I’m especially saddened because I know we all love our MMEs and can’t or should not be expected to handle this on our own! Thank you Ford!

Last edited:

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
This is so F🤬ed up. Sorry to the OP, luckily nobody was hurt, best of luck dealing with the insurance companies and incompetent towing company/guy. This has got to be one of the worst case scenarios come to fruition. As for Ford, it really shouldn't be the customers responsibility to micromanage the tow, but considering I had to even micromanage the rotating of tires (the tire company was determined to screw up the battery rails) this nightmare was kinda forecasted.

Ford needs to cover these battery rail holes up asap- use plastic plugs or an adhesive strip, whatever. We saw these tempting holes torn out from the beginning (Marlin.) Or maybe just tow hook receivers...
Sponsored

Last edited: