Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Push Bike
Occupation
IT bloke
Country flag
Am I the only one on here that has installed a 32amp commando socket with the intention to use the Ford Variopower charger that is supplied with the car as my home charging option.
what’s the Max power output of the Variopower charger???
Sponsored

jongodfrey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Push Bike
Occupation
IT bloke
Country flag
question for you all- I'm edging towards ordering a MME, just waiting to see one in the flesh mid May at Plymouth. But if we like what we see then it's a done deal!

So, ever the optimist I'm now thinking about chargers. I have a Rolec one installed which we used when we had a Leaf. But I keep reading comments about the Zappi unit diverting energy from your solar panels to charge the car, but I'm confused- we have 20 panels on the roof (10 front, 10 back as our house is N-S) Surely as we're generating, any energy being pumped into the house will go wherever there's a demand at the time? What does a Zappi do that's any different?

Also, having had a grant for a charger some 5 years ago can I get a new grant for a new car? At least I assume I had a grant- the Leaf was a year old and I only had to pay £250 towards the charger and installation.
If you have Solar Zappi will measure your solar production and your house usage. It will then divert surplus solar to your car rather than the Grid. You still get your full FiT.

I’m not sure about the grant.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black RWD ER and loving it
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
what’s the Max power output of the Variopower charger???
13amp if you use the 3 pin adapter (3mph) or 32amps if you use the commando adapter (21mph). Wall box will do about 28mph. Didn't see the point of spending a few hundred pounds for an extra 7mph of charging.

markpilky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang mache on order
Country flag
I went with the Ohme charger as I will use the ability to charge at low electricity rates with Octopus
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 9F746F6B-8326-4248-A91F-F495E7BC5BA1

PaulD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Jaguar XK, Peugeot Bipper Tepee
Occupation
Semi retired management consultant
Country flag
Am I the only one on here that has installed a 32amp commando socket with the intention to use the Ford Variopower charger that is supplied with the car as my home charging option.
Certainly not alone. I had installed a commando outlet installed in my garage to charge in the winter and an Anderson unit outside where the car will be most of the year. We can also charge another car as the Anderson unit has a load monitoring and limiting facility.
We fortunately have a TT earth system so did not need any additional earth rod. Although the Anderson does have integral PEN fault protection in any event, as do zappi and others now.
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers 8F887141-2C03-46A2-B428-28DF91265163
Ford Mustang Mach-E UK Customers FBDC2770-E1FD-4B36-8F82-829F3C20EDE9

Hotspur28

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
13amp if you use the 3 pin adapter (3mph) or 32amps if you use the commando adapter (21mph). Wall box will do about 28mph. Didn't see the point of spending a few hundred pounds for an extra 7mph of charging.
What is the rough sort of cost for fitting a commando unit outside? As may look at that option as well if its a lot less than the £500ish for a wallbox.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
What is the rough sort of cost for fitting a commando unit outside? As may look at that option as well if its a lot less than the £500ish for a wallbox.
I have put mine in the garage so it is NOT a waterproof one. It cost me £32 from Amazon. I would imagine an outside suitable one would be a bit more. You would need to consult an electrician for installation as mine was included in the rewiring of the garage that I had to have enlarged to get the car in.

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
I have put mine in the garage so it is NOT a waterproof one. It cost me £32 from Amazon. I would imagine an outside suitable one would be a bit more. You would need to consult an electrician for installation as mine was included in the rewiring of the garage that I had to have enlarged to get the car in.
... on the subject of weatherproofing I’m not sure if the Varicharger Power brick is outdoor waterproof rated either. You may all want to check that before considering using it outside. In a garage like Grahame having is 100% ok though.

portlandg

First Name
grahame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Country flag
... on the subject of weatherproofing I’m not sure if the Varicharger Power brick is outdoor waterproof rated either. You may all want to check that before considering using it outside. In a garage like Grahame having is 100% ok though.
Good point. As usual.?

gwyn7532

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Nissan Leaf, Mach E RWD SR on order
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have. Seems an obvious move to me.

Hotspur28

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thanks will have to check that then. Converted my garage into a gym last October to keep us going through lockdown and no room for a pony as well unfortunately ?.