Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That's conflating two different numbers though. Whichever miles/kWh rate you assume (ERA or WLTP), it needs to be applied consistently, not mixed & matched.

What's really being added is kWh, not miles. That should be 61.6 kWh (70% of 88) in 45 minutes (no matter whether in the US or Europe).

The Ford estimate for US driving (EPA) in the RWD ER is 300 miles / 88 kWh = 3.41 miles/kWh.
The Ford estimate for Europe driving (WLTP) is 373 miles / 88 kWh = 4.24 miles/kWh.
The WLTP figure is 24% longer range estimate because of assumed slower speeds and more regen breaking.

It's possible Ford's initial miles/kWh estimates were off some, but I can't imagine that 24% difference totally disappeared. That would mean they did a really bad job of the computer modeling that produced the initial estimates.

But hopefully that 24% gap does shrink some, meaning that the MME does better at higher speeds than they initially assumed.
But if we presuppose that the WLTP and EPA numbers are close, it works out.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Yeah didn't really clearly word that...

Take the Bolt, since I have one, the early Bolt that only gets 238 miles EPA range. At a steady state 70-75 in good EV weather it can go (or I can get it to go) about 200 miles. That is far more than 1/2 the 238 miles of range. Granted this is anecdotal being a datapoint of myself and not scientifically determined.

A GM engineer stated that if you drive this version of the Bolt full throttle you'll get 180 miles out of the battery--still more than 1/2 238 miles.

Now yes: If I were to drive my Bolt a constant speed for 50 mph I would get far more miles out of it than the EPA range (indeed just today we took it on a fall leaf viewing run which was 35 mph and was approaching 5 miles/kWh). In this condition, yes 75 mph range would probably roughly equal 1/2 of the 50 mph range...
=============================================================

I have a 2017 Bolt as well with the 60 kWh battery.

In SE Florida, it has been really warm this summer, so the A/C is running all the time.

If we are driving off of I-95, we regularly get 4.2 miles / kWh which would be 252 miles of range.

Combination driving local and I-95 is 3.9 miles / kWh which would be 234 miles of range.

I-95 trips at 70-75 mph we get 3.6 miles / kWh which would be 216 miles of range.

So we are not seeing that kind of range hit either....

Looking forward to seeing what the MME will do!!!

Jim

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Can we get back to Mexico? For other questions use other threads or create a new one
I whole heartedly agree, there has been little info about the factory and it is less than a month until October 26th. I keep looking here to see if there is more info and it's like looking at a thread salad. I'm very sorry I asked for more pictures ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Any new production news @trutolife27 or @ChasingCoral from your friends?
No huge updates but a few nice bits today:
everything is running smoothly. Sorry, my source doesn't know about production numbers but said the parking lot isn't filling up yet. I guess that means final assembly is still pretty slow.

Quality checks are going extremely well. The various parts are coming through testing with flying colors and part production is having no problem keeping up with demand further down the process.

I got intel on a couple of items discussed on the Forum:
  • yes, the handles are screwed on
  • the lift gate is plastic
Also, all the metal body parts seem to be the same on Mach E and GT, with the body differences being in plastic components.

Sorry I don't have more. Hopefully @trutolife27 can answer about production rates and timing.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I whole heartedly agree, there has been little info about the factory and it is less than a month until October 26th. I keep looking here to see if there is more info and it's like looking at a thread salad. I'm very sorry I asked for more pictures ?
We're not likely to get much information from inside sources from here on out imo. Much of what was being done is now finished and it's on to producing the cars. I think there's going to be more information from Ford coming as production schedules and numbers gel. But the insider stuff? Not a lot left to tell unless something unlikely happens (good or bad).

Just follow your favorite forum Ford employee or bearer of insider info and you'll get a notification when they post something.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No huge updates but a few nice bits today:
everything is running smoothly. Sorry, my source doesn't know about production numbers but said the parking lot isn't filling up yet. I guess that means final assembly is still pretty slow.

Quality checks are going extremely well. The various parts are coming through testing with flying colors and part production is having no problem keeping up with demand further down the process.

I got intel on a couple of items discussed on the Forum:
  • yes, the handles are screwed on
  • the lift gate is plastic
Also, all the metal body parts seem to be the same on Mach E and GT, with the body differences being in plastic components.

Sorry I don't have more. Hopefully @trutolife27 can answer about production rates and timing.
Handles? Those ridiculous door hooks that stick out because some complained about getting their fingers stuck ?. Does it come with plugs to fill the screw holes once you get rid of the drag? I see no reason for them. If you do not need them on the back doors then it is safe to say there is not much of a reason to have them on the front. May be body and paint to unscrew them and leave them off. I am sure some will ?.

Lift gate is entirely plastic or in part? Not sure what forum item you are referencing.

EDIT: Here?

Last edited:

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Lift gate is entirely plastic or in part? Not sure what forum item you are referencing.

EDIT: Here?
No, that information was much further back in time, a couple of months ago IIRC. Is it an issue for some reason?
Sponsored