generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It's not a Typo. This is showing the Cord Cap and the Receptacle. The whole
chart is this way.
The NEMA chart isn’t where the typo is. The posted picture is indeed a 15-50 plug. The Mach-E packaging guide that says the included charger will be 15-50 is wrong. The included charger will have a 14-50 plug, which is much more common. A 15-50 is 3 phase, which would make no sense for this application.
Sponsored

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I’d love to but let’s gets back to the topic of leaks from Mexico.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Note that for those of you that this is your first EV (continuing the discussion a few posts ago): Yes get a Level-2 but keep in mind that the included EVSE will work with 120V or 240V. So all you'll really need is a 240V line to where you want to park/plug/charge the car. You can decided on a permanent Level-2 EVSE later--do your research and get the feel for how it is charging (You'll probably want one at some point so you're not taking the thing out of the car and putting it back--granted you can drive around without it but you'll never know when it comes in handy--kind of like a jack.)

The question here is: Did Ford publish what kind of 240V plug they have on the Level-2 the car comes with? :checks .pdf's I have: Yes NEMA 15-50 from the packaging guide.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico 55840466-5F80-4816-9335-4A76D168C8AA

From this chart.
I’ll need to hire an electrician to install a 240V outlet in my garage. Do I just tell him to make sure it’s 32 amps? Will that suffice for 21 miles of charge per hour? I personally don’t think spending $800+ for the hard-wired charging stations is with the extra mileage (for my needs).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ll need to hire an electrician to install a 240V outlet in my garage. Do I just tell him to make sure it’s 32 amps? Will that suffice for 21 miles of charge per hour? I personally don’t think spending $800+ for the hard-wired charging stations is with the extra mileage (for my needs).
You'll need a 40A circuit for a 32A charger (like the one Ford includes as the mobile charger). They can draw no more than 80% of the rated circuit.

240V circuit breakers are usually in increments of 10 (thus 30A, 40A, 50A, 60A).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
You need a 240V circuit rated for 40A (or more). Ask the electrician to install a NEMA 14-50R receptacle on it. Then you'll simply plug in the mobile charger that comes with the car (just like plugging in any appliance) and you're all set.

The mobile charger has a plug that fits into the receptacle shown in the middle column of this infographic:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico Ford-Home-Chargin

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
You need a 240V circuit rated for 40A (or more). Ask the electrician to install a NEMA 14-50R receptacle on it. Then you'll simply plug in the mobile charger that comes with the car (just like plugging in any appliance) and you're all set.

The mobile charger has a plug that fits into the receptacle shown in the middle column of this infographic:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Update on Mach-E launch progress from engineering friends in Mexico Ford-Home-Chargin
Thanks for the info! If I ask for 48 Amps, will it charge at the faster 32 miles per hour?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
No -- to get the 48A charging (the fastest at-home rate supported by Mach-E), you need:
  • Ford Connected Charge Station (MSRP $799), or equivalent 48A charger from third party
  • hard-wired circuit rated for 60A
  • electrician will be needed to complete the installation of the charger and circuit

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thanks for the info! If I ask for 48 Amps, will it charge at the faster 32 miles per hour?
If you want to install the 48A charger, you’ll need a 60A circuit. For a 32A Charger you need a 40A circuit.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The 48A charger requires a 60A circuit (again, 80% of the rated circuit). You'll also have to buy that charger. The one that comes with the car is just the 32A one.

A 60A circuit will also cost more to put in (requires heavier wiring), and you might not have enough spare electrical service on your panel (although that's a possibility for 40A too.)

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I installed a 60amp breaker for my NEMA 14-50 outside "RV" plug. I only use it for a 32 amp charger that I plug into it. I did 60 amps so I could upgrade later. Now I'm looking to share another charger with the electric dryer outlet.
I don't plan on buying a faster charger.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I installed a 40 AMP breaker with 6 AMP (NM-6-3) cable. I would have installed a 50 AMP breaker but my panel already was outfitted with an unused 40 AMP so I left it. Today I only use up to a 32 AMP charger so it's fine for tomorrow. I am not too concerned about being able to charge at 48 AMPS since the 32A charges fast enough. I doubt I would go through the expense and time to upgrade to 60 AMP cable with a 60 AMP breaker, plus the thickness of the cable is really hard to maneuver and pull. I want to say the raw parts costed less than $200 with the cable being the most expensive part of the job, which I don't suggest doing unless you know what you are doing. This should be it's own topic and not in this thread but just wanted to share my info.

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.55.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.55.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 6.55.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 7.04.36 AM.png

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah, that is the thing:
  • If you have the ER model, and
  • If you needed it charged overnight in less than, say 10-12 hours and
  • Its always at a low state of charge when you start charging (say 10-15%)
  • THEN the 48amp charger may be useful
For all other conditions the "fast" 48 amp charger isn't very useful.

Thus for anyone purchasing the SR model you really don't need the 48amp charger.

Ok you say: "but what if I need that quick charge right after dinner" (e.g. come home from work, plug in, and after dinner go somewhere. BTW This was the use case for us quite frequently with the Focus Electric). In this case you'll get an extra 10 or 20 miles from that 1-2 hour charge. I doubt anyone will be doing this, however.

Our Focus Electric use case in that scenario: our son was involved in fall/spring sports and thus I'd come home with about 30 miles left in the Focus (remember FFE only could go 70ish miles). I'd plug in and charge it up while we ate and then we'd take it to his practice(s)/game(s). For the FFE that 1-2 hours would bring me back up to almost 60 miles--a comfortable margin for putzing about town.

Now in a longer range EV this is a non-issue: With the Bolt I can do the above and still not charge for 2-3 days (except, of course, he is trying to be off to college now in this wonderful world we live in today).

So really I think people's need for that fancy 48 amp charger is pretty minimal. Which means you can save a lot of money in wiring, EVSE, electrician, etc. costs.

Johnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD, Buick Enclave
Occupation
Accountant
Country flag
Well this conversation got off the rails quickly! Speaking of rails - is Ford using rail transport to ship to dealers in the USA from Mexico? About how long is the process from shipping to delivery?
Sponsored