Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This confuses me: It isn't like they are driving them from the plant to the dealer. They really only need about a 10 or 20 mile charge in them to be delivered. Then the dealer fills them up the rest of the way (of course that means your dealer will call with "Your car is here but you can't pick it up for 2 days as we have to charge it on our Level-2").
Which will take only a night charge or 10 hours +/- anyway, and has posted here manytimes some dealers have only a few MME orders to deal with.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Which will take only a night charge or 10 hours +/- anyway, and has posted here manytimes some dealears have only a few MME orders to deal with.
Assuming the dealer is on the ball...

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
This confuses me: It isn't like they are driving them from the plant to the dealer. They really only need about a 10 or 20 mile charge in them to be delivered. Then the dealer fills them up the rest of the way (of course that means your dealer will call with "Your car is here but you can't pick it up for 2 days as we have to charge it on our Level-2").
I know _nothing_ about these HV batteries, but I have worked with LiON batteries for enterprise IT equipment, and we have to charge them to at least 30% - 50% before they leave the manufacturer. I'm just in software and have been involved with some of the charge monitoring/etc. reporting not an expert, but my understanding is they will lose charge over time much quicker than other formulations like lead acid, NiMH etc.

Additionally, when we receive batteries we charge them close to 100% and run a discharge test before sending them out for quality control purposes and catch any DOA parts that might have been sent by the manufacturer.

Again, not an expert but perhaps similar reasoning being BEV batteries.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Quote from dbsb3233: An earlier post showed what looks like at least 40 chargers outside too (2nd video). Presumably L2's...

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ing-friends-in-mexico.1100/page-27#post-31080

With the exterior chargers that makes quite a lot, then they might have 2 stages one to test the car software and equipment to plug on DCFC at the end of the line and the other ones to prep cars for shipping, Just guessing.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
How is the launch going this week? Getting close to crunch time.

I Have a bad feeling about J1, too many open/pending issues.

Dang that is not good
But good to fix them now at this stage.
What are they do you know?

Too many to list out amigo, it’s a side of launch you have not seen. The smallest detail is a no go.
Nothing is allowed to leave a station unless its 100% go. It is like every job is a DELTA JOB.
A big one is the tail lamp fit

Well, I'm sure you can keep it on track of the tail lamp fit. Is it the clips?

Trying man problem has to do with the rubber gasket around the tail lamp.

September 15 suppose to be when all orders are ready right?

They have to be in the system by then for Dearborn. People down here are ready to roll, The big wigs in the vest are getting their ass chewed on the smallest thing that is not right.

If it's like that how many did you guys build yesterday?

We got 48 out in 10 hours, right around that number.

Were they demo cars or what?

PP2 builds don't know where they are going but not demo.

Well, hope all goes well this week man.

Thx people are ready to get this rolling. Just so many high ups here, it is on a whole different level of people looking over your shoulder.
Thanks for the update.
Sounds like the pressure is mounting as can be expected. This car is a big deal so it is good to hear there are concerns. I would be worried if the report was "Everything is fine down here! No worries....nothing to see here..."

There always is something to deal with when a new product is rolled out. Nobody can prepare for every possibility. This isn't Ford's first rodeo. They have been doing this for a century now. I have extreme confidence they will get it as perfect as possible and will be proud of what leaves that factory. I love the "No Excuse" mentality that appears to be in play here. :)

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also wonder if the battery packs might be pre-charged before assembly? If so, they might still be at 75% or something by the time the car is built, requiring just a quicker top-off.

This might be a bad example, but when we order replacement cell phone batteries from Amazon, they usually still have 50-80% left in them when delivered.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Slow drain, even when not in use. And it's really bad for the batteries if they run to 0%.

I think it was one of trutolife27's internal exchanges that said there was some concern about making sure the batteries weren't dead by the time they made it across the Atlantic on the slow car-carrier ships (Europe deliveries).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Slow drain, even when not in use. And it's really bad for the batteries if they run to 0%.

I think it was one of trutolife27's internal exchanges that said there was some concern about making sure the batteries weren't dead by the time they made it across the Atlantic on the slow car-carrier ships (Europe deliveries).
These aren't Tesla's, not much of a slow drain on them. (Yeah ok I put a dig in on Tesla...so sue me LOL)

Li-Ion batteries don't self discharge like lead acid batteries do.

During the pandemic here with lots of working from home my Bolt has sat for days sometimes without being plugged in with little to no battery discharge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
These aren't Tesla's, not much of a slow drain on them. (Yeah ok I put a dig in on Tesla...so sue me LOL)

Li-Ion batteries don't self discharge like lead acid batteries do.
I don't think we really know what "always on" processes the MME will have yet though. There's probably a few things that stay active all the time. I'm assuming they're very slow drain, but who knows, it could be a little more than that.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am just glad that Ford is working out the fine details now versus still working out major ones. I would rather wait a little bit longer for a Mach E that is well built , than get a Tesla that is falling apart with a poor paint job.
Agree 100%
Do not ship cars with bumpers that fall off, doors that fill with water, seat latches that rattle etc. Nobody is in a hurry for a product like that. The ONLY reason why consumers are buying a product like that is because they have very few BEV options at this time. Excited for Ford to bring the MME to market....but not if it's going to have lots of workmanship issues. I understand that nothing is perfect but we really shouldn't have to accept a vehicle where corners are cut to meet production figures. I get why that other manufacturer is sending product out the door.....because they have to.
Ford is in a different position. They can and should be very picky because our expectations are very high on this one.

SD_Solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf SV 2019 Leaf SL Plus Ford F250 Jeep Cherokee First Edition Grabber Blue Order
Country flag
I do a lot of RC airplane flying and have dozens of LiPo packs --- obviously not the same chemistry as used here, but to show a rough comparison of voltage / capacity.

Each cell
4.2V 100% Capacity
3.85V approx. 50% Capacity (Ideal long term storage voltage)
3.7V approx. 20% Capacity (Lower voltages will result in irreversible degradation)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think we really know what "always on" processes the MME will have yet though. There's probably a few things that stay active all the time. I'm assuming they're very slow drain, but who knows, it could be a little more than that.
In Ford's plugins the "always on" devices are powered off the 12V battery, not the Li-Ion batteries. When the car is "off" the Li-Ion batteries are disconnected with large contactors. Thus there isn't anything connected to the traction batteries.

Not sure if this is also how the Mach-E will be setup, however.

Now the 12V battery going dead...yeah that is more likely LOL.
Sponsored