Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
from trutolife27

A new electric EV vehicle to be "named" will now also be made in Canada to replace ice vehicles made there.

[/QUOTE]
I vote for an Escape EV. Compact and subcompact SUV's are what people are buying these days and with the VW MEB platform it would not cost Ford a ton of money to build an Escape EV built on a 100% EV platform. :rolleyes:
Sponsored

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
So, my thought was to put in a circuit with the capacity to handle the connected charger, and just put whatever outlet the mobile charger supports on the outlet box in the garage (my garage doesn’t have finished walls inside part of it - just framing, so this will be easy). If I decide to get the connected charger at a later date, I should just be able to remove the outlet box and replace it with the connected charger.

Also, does anyone know what the connected charger draws?
that is what I did - I ran with the 60 amp breaker and associated gauge wire with the 14-50 outlet- if I find I need the Connected Charger, I will get my electrician to remove the 14-50 and hardwire the Charger in. Even though the mobile doesn't need the extra "juice" it will pull what it needs and be fine. I still don't know why I need the Connected Charger yet, so I wanted the flexibility.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am going to make a guess here that the useable pack gets expanded and that buffer gets decreased to give a final higher range. Whether that happens with EPA or a later OTA update, I still think it is going to happen. Polestar has a 78 KWH pack with 75 useable. Only a 3 KWH buffer. ME with an 11 KWH buffer seems high and too conservative. That's an 11.1% buffer, while Polestar has 3.8%. Ford could conceivably cut that buffer in half, increase range, and still have a bigger buffer than Polestar.
If it does not increase the amount of degradation while noting we only normally charge to 80% for 95% of the time I see no reason to not open it up for longer trips if it is there. Does a 30% degradation warranty now equate to 41%?

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am going to make a guess here that the useable pack gets expanded and that buffer gets decreased to give a final higher range. Whether that happens with EPA or a later OTA update, I still think it is going to happen. Polestar has a 78 KWH pack with 75 useable. Only a 3 KWH buffer. ME with an 11 KWH buffer seems high and too conservative. That's an 11.1% buffer, while Polestar has 3.8%. Ford could conceivably cut that buffer in half, increase range, and still have a bigger buffer than Polestar.
I am glad they went with stating 88kWh usable capacity going forward. This gives Ford the flexibility to stop putting in cells into the MME if they determine it's not needed. As you say, if Ford withheld 5kWh, they'd be able to increase production in Mexico without any effort.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am glad they went with stating 88kWh usable capacity going forward. This gives Ford the flexibility to stop putting in cells into the MME if they determine it's not needed. As you say, if Ford withheld 5kWh, they'd be able to increase production in Mexico without any effort.
You mean actually putting in a smaller battery (fewer cells)?? I sure don't want them doing that. If they find they can shrink the reserve (as I've been half-expecting will happen after lots of customer data is collected), I want that applied as extra range, not a smaller battery.

The 376-cell 98.9 kWh battery I'm paying for better actually have 376 cells in it.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So you are hoping the packs we ordered and will pay for get smaller? This is not what I understood the announcement was (it was a 100 Kwh pack with 11% held back). If they actually put less cells in and do not tell people leaving them to believe it is still 100 Kwh pack would that not be real poor PR at it's best. Would turn me off for sure.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I vote for an Escape EV. Compact and subcompact SUV's are what people are buying these days and with the VW MEB platform it would not cost Ford a ton of money to build an Escape EV built on a 100% EV platform.
The Mach-E is nearly the same size as the Escape already though. At least on the inside. It's a little longer because of the long Mustang snout.

My guess would be maybe a smaller Ecosport equivalent. Not sure the batteries can quite support something bigger like an Edge, Explorer, or Excursion yet.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I vote for an Escape EV. Compact and subcompact SUV's are what people are buying these days and with the VW MEB platform it would not cost Ford a ton of money to build an Escape EV built on a 100% EV platform. :rolleyes:
WRT the Escape specifically, I could see this either way. On the one hand, one of the first hybrids Ford made was the early Escape Hybrid, and there's the 2020 PHEV Escape today, so it's a model that they are willing to experiment with a bit on this front, and they sell them as fast as they can make them so there's some safety buffer for the experimentation. And unlike the Mach-E, there's be no "NOT AN ESCAPE!!!!!1!!!!!11!!!!!22!!!!!21!!!!!!!!" nonsense.

On the other hand:
The Mach-E is nearly the same size as the Escape already though. At least on the inside. It's a little longer because of the long Mustang snout.

My guess would be maybe a smaller Ecosport equivalent. Not sure the batteries can quite support something bigger like an Edge, Explorer, or Excursion yet.
is a very good point. Replacing the EcoSport in particular would be nice - the gf's C-Max is, tbh, not at the quality or "experience" level I expected for the price, and all of the reviews of the EcoSport that replaced it suggest it's kind of worse. So, something at that size that can replace the EcoSport would be nice if it could be done at a reasonable price.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

I agree that an Escape BEV variant would be redundant, but given the BEV F-150 is coming in 2022, I think an Explorer would be doable.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
I agree that an Escape BEV variant would be redundant, but given the BEV F-150 is coming in 2022, I think an Explorer would be doable.
So if you want a BEV to sell worldwide, what size do you build? Let's ask our European friends.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
Could the next EV be the Edge?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Very curious to see what battery size and range on the bigger vehicles is gonna be, especially the taller trucks and (real) SUVs. We hear so much about how BEVs have to be super aerodynamic to squeeze every electron out for range, like it's a major struggle. But how can they make an F-150 or Explorer with any decent range then? (Or can they?)
Sponsored