Tsum97

First Name
Tre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Had a minor accident where I side swiped a pillar while reversing. Damage is minimal but I know that with these type of cars that something minor can cost thousands. If any experts or people with the same experience (or damage) can share their past experience/cost to repair would be greatly appreciated because if it’s not a major cost, I won’t get my insurance involved and will pay out of pocket. Any insight is appreciated.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT IMG_0666

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT IMG_0664

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT IMG_0665

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT IMG_0660

Last edited:

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
It'll be probably around $2k based on my experience. I had the following damage:

Small mark from tire debris hitting the bumper and headlamp. Marking the bumper, and putting tiny crack in headlight assembly. Also rock or perhaps part of same tire hit windshield and created a tiny spider/chip.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT 20221203_224628499_iOS

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT 20221203_224631432_iOS

Windshield = $1,800
Headlight = $1,700
Bumper removal, repainted, and all sensors re-calibrated (including ones behind windshield) = $1,700

Total cost was $5,200. I used insurance and paid $100 deductible. Took about 1.5wks for repair as well.

OP
OP

Tsum97

First Name
Tre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
It'll be probably around $2k based on my experience. I had the following damage:

Small mark from tire debris hitting the bumper and headlamp. Marking the bumper, and putting tiny crack in headlight assembly. Also rock or perhaps part of same tire hit windshield and created a tiny spider/chip.
20221203_224628499_iOS.jpg

20221203_224631432_iOS.jpg

Windshield = $1,800
Headlight = $1,700
Bumper removal, repainted, and all sensors re-calibrated (including ones behind windshield) = $1,700

Total cost was $5,200. I used insurance and paid $100 deductible. Took about 1.5wks for repair as well.
I think my headlight is cracked and my bumper may have shifted a little bit. That part alone is what’s scaring me. I was assuming 5K on the high-end and maybe 2Kish on the low.
i know the headlight has a camera inside of it so I was unaware of how much a headlight would cost.

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think my headlight is cracked and my bumper may have shifted a little bit. That part alone is what’s scaring me. I was assuming 5K on the high-end and maybe 2Kish on the low.
i know the headlight has a camera inside of it so I was unaware of how much a headlight would cost.
I think $5k+ is realistic. You'll likely need new fender flare, clips to hold everything, perhaps an entirely new bumper vs repaint (not a body shop guy) and any parts that might have been bent damaged. My recommendation is to use insurance. It sucks but that is why we pay the premiums. My damage all happened before my first payment on the car even occurred.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
auto repair is super expensive. I got a door ding. Can hardly see it, but I filed a claim with the other driver insurance because the driver was being an Arse. Their insurance paid 500 to fix a tiny door ding. So I'm going to guess that your small front end damage will be much more than you think.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag
Anything over your deductible = insurance

MidwestElectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Do not repair. This is minor. If it works fine, purely cosmetic. Just touch up the paint yourself.

how much will your insurance premium go up? And for how many years and do you have more than one vehicle? Do the math before you find a claim.

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do not repair. This is minor. If it works fine, purely cosmetic. Just touch up the paint yourself.

how much will your insurance premium go up? And for how many years and do you have more than one vehicle? Do the math before you find a claim.
Not an attack on you personally.

However, this kind of logic pisses me off. I realize insurance is primarily for catastrophic instances where injury or property damage adds up to big debts. However, its BS that when you pay premiums for decades with zero claims, and then something out of your control happens to your car you have to worry about using the damn thing you pay for.

With that said, from my experience and from what my insurance broker told me, if you file a comprehensive claim (ie nobody is at fault, especially you) there is no increase in premium that is supposed to occur. With that, you can also opt to switch carriers (I call my broker annually on my Birthday and have switched almost every year with exact same coverage with another carrier and saved $$$ annually. Some years some carriers got hit big in other markets and thus their entire portfolio gets hit with big rate increases, so this saves money by shopping around).

After my claim for my repairs my rates did not go up FWIW.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Not an attack on you personally.

However, this kind of logic pisses me off. I realize insurance is primarily for catastrophic instances where injury or property damage adds up to big debts. However, its BS that when you pay premiums for decades with zero claims, and then something out of your control happens to your car you have to worry about using the damn thing you pay for.

With that said, from my experience and from what my insurance broker told me, if you file a comprehensive claim (ie nobody is at fault, especially you) there is no increase in premium that is supposed to occur. With that, you can also opt to switch carriers (I call my broker annually on my Birthday and have switched almost every year with exact same coverage with another carrier and saved $$$ annually. Some years some carriers got hit big in other markets and thus their entire portfolio gets hit with big rate increases, so this saves money by shopping around).

After my claim for my repairs my rates did not go up FWIW.
Your insurance broker hasn't a clue. This is not and will never be considered a comprehensive claim. The vehicle collided with something, it's a collision accident.

In a single vehicle accident like OP, OP is at fault. There is no other party that could be at fault, and the pillar didn't grow legs and run into the vehicle on its own.

Brokers sell insurance...they aren't the insurance companies, aren't adjusters, and aren't involved in the claims process. They give wrong/bad advice all the time, and this is definitely one of those instances.

If OP files a claim, it will be collision, they will pay their deductible, and it will be on their record for the next 5+ years. Based on the amount of money the insurance company pays out, it may not raise the rates substantially, or even at all. Many insurance companies have an accident forgiveness policy where you get a freebie, which I would probably go ahead and do if I were OP as this will most likely be at least 2k.

But don't be fooled. It's collision, it's at fault, it will be on their record, and it could raise rates.

Source: married to an insurance adjuster.

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your insurance broker hasn't a clue. This is not and will never be considered a comprehensive claim. The vehicle collided with something, it's a collision accident.

In a single vehicle accident like OP, OP is at fault. There is no other party that could be at fault, and the pillar didn't grow legs and run into the vehicle on its own.

Brokers sell insurance...they aren't the insurance companies, aren't adjusters, and aren't involved in the claims process. They give wrong/bad advice all the time, and this is definitely one of those instances.

If OP files a claim, it will be collision, they will pay their deductible, and it will be on their record for the next 5+ years. Based on the amount of money the insurance company pays out, it may not raise the rates substantially, or even at all. Many insurance companies have an accident forgiveness policy where you get a freebie, which I would probably go ahead and do if I were OP as this will most likely be at least 2k.

But don't be fooled. It's collision, it's at fault, it will be on their record, and it could raise rates.

Source: married to an insurance adjuster.
To your point - you're right his incident is a collision with a pole. So wouldn't qualify as a comp claim. My point was in my case, my comp claim didn't raise my rates. So I don't think my insurance broker lied to me. Again as you pointed out this isn't a comp claim, but I did address it like it would have been.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
To your point - you're right his incident is a collision with a pole. So wouldn't qualify as a comp claim. My point was in my case, my comp claim didn't raise my rates. So I don't think my insurance broker lied to me. Again as you pointed out this isn't a comp claim, but I did address it like it would have been.
If what they actually told you had to do with rates, and it not being treated like a comp claim, that may have been accurate. However, that would be a case by case scenario based on which insurance carrier, the cost of the claim, and what their policies are for the tier plan that was purchased. The accident forgiveness option is available with many insurance companies, but sometimes comes with a more "premium" tier plan so it's worth having a discussion with your insurance rep with the insurance company, and not a broker. My wife has told me many of story of how wrong the brokers have gotten it, and really screwed over the insured based on poor advice and understanding of what they were selling. There are good ones for sure, but also really bad ones.

AliRafiee

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT - Grabber Blue
Occupation
Software Eng.
Country flag

If that was true I would be paying $100000000 a month for insurance instead of $200 for 4 cars.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Had a minor accident where I side swiped a pillar while reversing. Damage is minimal but I know that with these type of cars that something minor can cost thousands. If any experts or people with the same experience (or damage) can share their past experience/cost to repair would be greatly appreciated because if it’s not a major cost, I won’t get my insurance involved and will pay out of pocket. Any insight is appreciated.

Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT 20221203_224631432_iOS

Last week damaged same side. Was fixed today, they came to my house and after 3 hours all was like new. Insurance was not involved, and I paid $575.
Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT IMG_0619
Ford Mustang Mach-E What do you guys think? 2022 Mach E GT IMG_0620

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Anything over your deductible = insurance
This.

Not sure how the insurance companies scared people away from filing claims, but it was genius.

Minor claims won’t impact your premiums.

And major claims? You’ll still get more out of the claim than the increase.

It’s what insurance is for.

Phill62

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E premium extended
Occupation
Body Shop manager
Country flag

If the headlamp is just scuffed, about 1200. If it's cracked, about 2800. The bumper should be a straight forward overhaul and repair.