When is a puddle light not a puddle light?

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
The answer to that riddle is: when it's on a Mach E. The horse logo light is very cool. But it only shows up when you approach and the mirrors are folded. As a puddle light that's pretty useless. From the outside of the car you can see pretty much if there's a puddle when you approach the car. The most useful puddle lights appear on the ground just outside the door when you open the door to get out. That's when you want to see if there's a puddle or something else that you might step into. I wish Ford had done that with this car like most other manufacturers have done, or even both.

Now I find myself looking at a third party solution for a puddle light. I doubt I'll get a cool pony, though. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

shberry

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'69 Camaro SS/RS, MME Premium ER-AWD (someday)
Occupation
Math Tutor
Country flag
The answer to that riddle is: when it's on a Mach E. The horse logo light is very cool. But it only shows up when you approach and the mirrors are folded. As a puddle light that's pretty useless. From the outside of the car you can see pretty much if there's a puddle when you approach the car. The most useful puddle lights appear on the ground just outside the door when you open the door to get out. That's when you want to see if there's a puddle or something else that you might step into. I wish Ford had done that with this car like most other manufacturers have done, or even both.

Now I find myself looking at a third party solution for a puddle light. I doubt I'll get a cool pony, though. Anyone have any suggestions?
It can't be too difficult to rewire the puddle lights into the "open the door and the interior lights turn on" switch. In theory anyway.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
When they’re Poodle Lights! ?

My ‘69 Cadillac had puddle lights that shined on the ground inside of the open door so you could really see what’s on the ground where you’re going to step out. I found them much better for that purpose than the mirror-mounted puddle lights on my Fusion. Of course, the mirror-mounted lights are better for seeing what’s near the door prior to entry.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Are they really meant to be useful on the Mach-E though? I remember when I took a demo home for the weekend, I didn't know there were puddle lights, and when we approached it that night in a parking lot, we all basically squealed in delight and how cool it was, without even thinking it actually had a purpose. I didn't even know what they were called until I came on here to find out.

But I suppose if they're actually meant to warn you of a sneaky puddle, then yeah, they are kinda useless.

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Don't understand your complaint. When I approach the car it is always locked when outside. The mirrors automatically fold. How else would the puddle illuminate if not with mirrors folded? Mine works consistently but I do not use PaaK.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Don't understand your complaint. When I approach the car it is always locked when outside. The mirrors automatically fold. How else would the puddle illuminate if not with mirrors folded? Mine works consistently but I do not use PaaK.
Wants them to come on, when opening door, to get out. Pretty clear.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Wow. Just wow! You call yourself a Mustang owner, but call it a "horse"? ??

PONY!

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag

Please reread my OP. The complaint is that I want to know of a puddle when exiting the car, not entering it.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Wow. Just wow! You call yourself a Mustang owner, but call it a "horse"? ??

PONY!
All ponies are horses.

I am not a Mustang owner yet. But I am very much looking forward to seeing the cool animal puddle light!

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
The Ford Mustang is a "pony," but...

d9GcQGpNcpJnAn5ehu42ssqnoDz0KsXgBnzEHKmTMX6OYLuw&s.jpg

The mustang is a free-roaming horse of the Western United States, descended from horses brought to the Americas by the Spanish.

SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
...The most useful puddle lights appear on the ground just outside the door when you open the door to get out. That's when you want to see if there's a puddle or something else that you might step into.
This is probably why Ford call them courtesy lighting. and I would like a little more courtesy (on the ground) as well.

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Please reread my OP. The complaint is that I want to know of a puddle when exiting the car, not entering it.
Wouldn't you see the puddle when you're parking? I've never had a puddle light before but I see the main benefit to be when you're approaching the car (which it does).

CaPhil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach e Premium SR, Star White
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
It never rains here in So Cal so I’m happy with a “Pony Projection “ ?
Sponsored