Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Sitting in Safelite right now getting a small rock chip repaired. Tech indicates the repair process may cause the Crack to spread. Repair is covered free of charge by insurance. Fingers crossed. Not looking forward to replacing a windshield.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How much did Safelite charge?

I used a Permatex kit to fill a small pit with 1/8 inch cracks to either side and I no longer notice it inside the car. We'll see if those cracks spread later🤔
I paid about $45 at local windshield places (not Safelite) 2 different times now. Both had to drill two holes and fill as they were both double hits about an inch apart. Low on the windshield with a view into the hood, thankfully. Can definitely still see the imperfection and the small crack between drills/fills. One was repaired almost 2 years ago, the other about 9 months ago. 2 months ago I got yet another hit with two 1/2" cracks coming out of it. also low on the glass. Haven't repaired that and the cracks haven't moved yet. I figured with 3 hits now, I'll probably just replace the whole thing (again) if those cracks grow. Already had to do that back in 2021 when the car was only 8 months old. That one was a full crack to the edge.

Love the car, but it's a rock magnet. My insurance doesn't offer any windshield coverage (hard to get here as it's a bad area for them).

RKinWA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE AWD Space White Metallic
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I paid about $45 at local windshield places (not Safelite) 2 different times now. Both had to drill two holes and fill as they were both double hits about an inch apart. Low on the windshield with a view into the hood, thankfully. Can definitely still see the imperfection and the small crack between drills/fills. One was repaired almost 2 years ago, the other about 9 months ago. 2 months ago I got yet another hit with two 1/2" cracks coming out of it. also low on the glass. Haven't repaired that and the cracks haven't moved yet. I figured with 3 hits now, I'll probably just replace the whole thing (again) if those cracks grow. Already had to do that back in 2021 when the car was only 8 months old. That one was a full crack to the edge.

Love the car, but it's a rock magnet. My insurance doesn't offer any windshield coverage (hard to get here as it's a bad area for them).
Yeah mine is a rock magnet as well. Got 3 chips in the first month of ownership, then a large rock hit and they attempted repair, it was holding, but too distracting to me as it was in line of sight (well just to the left of the rear view mirror but it was too distracting) so I got the windshield replaced. Got a new chip on the way home from picking it up, and 2 more in the month since 🤣

CYBER-O

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E4X
Occupation
Independant IT Consultant, Lyft & Uber driver
Country flag
I had my first two chips filled by Speedy Glass who get 100% reinbursement from ICBC. The third one was too large to fill & requirement replacement ($250 deductible). I just had the fourth chip filled by Speedy less than a month after the new windshield. None of them spread further. But that's four now in the space of 9 months / 16,000 Km. I only had 2 chips and 2 windshields in the 11 years / 220,000 Km of driving the Shelby GT500. What's up with that??

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Part of the sound deadening in this windshield appears to be it's hardness from what I can tell. Same with my RX's "sound screen" == chip magnet

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
From my State Farm agent: "Yes, chips are covered as well, but I would suggest paying for chip repairs out of pocket because glass claims do count toward your overall claim total now in AZ. I would save the glass claims for glass replacement."

Glad we have tons on tons of rocks on the roads.

I did get the chip repair kit and will probably try to do that this weekend. Then to find out of tinting it will cause these chips to crack the rest.

Skyman63

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2019 Ranger 4x4, 2017 C-Max Energi
Occupation
Retired high school teacher
Country flag
Sitting in Safelite right now getting a small rock chip repaired. Tech indicates the repair process may cause the Crack to spread. Repair is covered free of charge by insurance. Fingers crossed. Not looking forward to replacing a windshield.
Bought my 2022 GT PE used from CarMax. Had a crack in the windshield which they paid to have Safelite replace. Safelite used Ford OEM glass. It was an easy process. It looks perfect, and all of the camera based functions work perfectly. Took about 3 hours. All work and calibration have a lifetime guarantee. So as long as you stick with a place like Safelite, it’s not bad having the windshield replaced. Unless you’re paying for it! Total cost was just under $2000! Pretty sure I cut deep into Carmax’s profit margin on this car.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Bought my 2022 GT PE used from CarMax. Had a crack in the windshield which they paid to have Safelite replace. Safelite used Ford OEM glass. It was an easy process. It looks perfect, and all of the camera based functions work perfectly. Took about 3 hours. All work and calibration have a lifetime guarantee. So as long as you stick with a place like Safelite, it’s not bad having the windshield replaced. Unless you’re paying for it! Total cost was just under $2000! Pretty sure I cut deep into Carmax’s profit margin on this car.
Calibration of cameras etc after windscreen replacement is not too technical, it’s a dymamic process - drive it up the road for a while and it’s done!!

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I was more concerned with if the cracks/stars continue after repair. As I’m looking to add AZ heat to the mix with tinting the windshield after the repair.
I have repaired it, just need to find a new place to lay 70% ceramic tint on it.
my FFE cracked in half a day after I had supposedly ceramic tint put on it. But after realizing it gets super hot it might not actually be ceramic, hence the new place needed. (It’s also kinda foggy) having owned a tint shop
In the 90’s the quality of my FFE’s 70% is sub par.
Sponsored