roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
That’s a good example. But streaming is only cheaper if you focus on what you really want and jettison everything else. If you try to recreate the million channels you have with cable, the savings with streaming disappear.
It is cheaper to stream channels though. We replaced cable a long time ago with Dish then they raised prices (competition is good) then they raised prices so we moved to steaming. We have 3 or 4 that are free with ads and pay for 3 - 4 still cheaper than cable.
Car subscriptions are the same. I would rather do without them then pay for something that’s not a good value or I don’t use. I can use my mobile device and get better functionality (Car Play/Android Auto) than the built in systems of 90% or cars today.
Sponsored

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Agreed! This is always the way.
So do you believe that the “average driver” will pay $700+ for some cool driving aid once EVs are mainstream? I do agree many discussing this now are a vocal minority but with all the shit boxes driving around today as an example of what people spend money on many people don’t even do basic maintenance I don’t see a huge uptake of these kinds of services. Just saying

OP
OP
doogie63

doogie63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
That’s a good example. But streaming is only cheaper if you focus on what you really want and jettison everything else. If you try to recreate the million channels you have with cable, the savings with streaming disappear.

I hate the idea of subscriptions, but at the same time, if it lets me more specifically pick and choose what features I want on my car, that’s not the worst thing in the world.

If autonomous driving is going to cost tremendous amounts of money to develop, sooner or later, one way or another, that’s going to show up in the pricing.

It’s like finding out how much ESPN and HBO add to your cable bill compared to some no-name random cable-only channel. No way getting around that, even if you try and go with alternatives to traditional cable.
Check out DirecTV streaming is has all the cable channels for $109. My cable company was charging $200 for all the same channels. They both had the same channels.

Most cable channels would go broke if they were not part of a cable package. They would never get enough ad revenue on there on.
CNN they said would not last long at all. Just flip thru your channels and see which one you never watch and are useless. But we have to pay for them.

Reactions: ARK

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
So do you believe that the “average driver” will pay $700+ for some cool driving aid once EVs are mainstream? I do agree many discussing this now are a vocal minority but with all the shit boxes driving around today as an example of what people spend money on many people don’t even do basic maintenance I don’t see a huge uptake of these kinds of services. Just saying
I think you’re bang-on.

I don’t believe the average driver would pay, whatever an average driver is.

I am a forensic vehicle examiner and see the standard to which the “average” driver don’t maintain their vehicles.

I have seen things even on professional drivers’ vehicles that exhibit abject failures in the most basic maintenance and would make your teeth curl so why would they pay for pointless (IMO) tech. I wouldn’t.

I happen to think paying a subscription to use stuff already fitted to a vehicle you buy is a legitimised (by regulatory authorities) corporate scam.

It’s the sort of thing the “kids”’of today are happy to pay for, though; they must already be paying a mortgage in monthly payments for mobile ‘phone contracts, insurance for this, subscriptions for that, buying bottled water that comes out the tap for free without wasteful plastic etc etc etc. we all ought to just buck the trend and stop paying these corporate scammers preventing them from fleecing us all. Or am I just turning into an old fart!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Or perhaps it will show up in the bankruptcy of the developers, who spent all that money on a product that is ultimately not very valuable to consumers.

Driving a car is not hard work for a human being.
Yeah, I think it will go something like that. After all the early adopter/techie types go for it at full price, there won’t be much demand left for it among everyday people. That’s always been my gripe with Tesla FSD, Musk is severely overestimating the actual demand and value for it. They are never going to get their development costs back from it, and I think this will be one of Musk’s biggest missteps ever.

Most people are perfectly fine driving themselves and are going to refuse to pay more than $20/mo. Automakers haven’t figured that out yet and will lose money developing ADAS based on a demand that doesn’t materialize. They should be thinking “What can we develop and sell for a profit at only $20/mo”.

kodiakng

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Cyber Orange 4X Mach-E
Country flag
Yeah, I think it will go something like that. After all the early adopter/techie types go for it at full price, there won’t be much demand left for it among everyday people. That’s always been my gripe with Tesla FSD, Musk is severely overestimating the actual demand and value for it. They are never going to get their development costs back from it, and I think this will be one of Musk’s biggest missteps ever.
some of this appears to be driven by the mirage of the robotaxi market - with market research and unicorn-chasing investment houses and musk himself doing their classic vaporware strategy.

tesla has done well in fleecing its early adopters and investors. ford doesn't have that same ... cachet. 😏

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
some of this appears to be driven by the mirage of the robotaxi market
Exactly. One of the few applications that adds value. If a private vehicle can drive my kids to school and my mom to her doctors appointment, I would pay money for that. But that is SAE level 5, not 2.5. Ford can come back in 25 years and try charging $800/ year for that system.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
My next BEV will have much better range. Much. I have owned multiple Ford vehicles but I also will buy what best suits our needs. So while I have some brand loyalty, it is weak.

I have been watching Rivian for a long time, but they still have not delivered a max pack vehicle. And when they do, it will cost $30k more than my MME did. I can do lot with $30k.

For $62k, as of today there isn't anything out there that is better than my car. At least for me, anyway. I am not going to spend more for a BEV that has marginally better or similar range.

And I have I have invested a lot of time into modifying my car: tow hitch, rear hatch button, pedestrian speaker volume control, vinyl stripes, front and rear sway bars and rear shocks. And that isn't everything I have done to my car. It is hard to walk away from all that.

lucky13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I had a reservation on a Blazer EV (planning on the RS trim), but with the decision to drop support for CarPlay, I cancelled the reservation.

Not sure at this point. Perhaps I'll look at whatever the next-gen Grand Cherokee PHEV/EV becomes.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I had a deposit for an Aptera but its future is uncertain so I cancelled my reservation. Very cool tech and huge range though if they succeed.

We also got a 2023 BMW i4 40eDrive on 3/31 and it's a fabulous car. It's got BMW's handling and 300mi of real range (in ideal conditions) I've experienced. It's also quieter than the MME. Not as roomy inside though.

I enjoy driving both of them though and like the MME around town because it's a bit higher off the ground for getting into and out of.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag

Most people are perfectly fine driving themselves and are going to refuse to pay more than $20/mo. Automakers haven’t figured that out yet and will lose money developing ADAS based on a demand that doesn’t materialize. They should be thinking “What can we develop and sell for a profit at only $20/mo”.
The market will usually dictate.

ADAS options essential to the NCAP & other safety standards across the world will dictate that such options simply must be fitted and enabled, not by optional subscription.

When other car makers, and they will, just charge the car price with the BC or similar fitted & enabled, and just the use seats (BMW) enabled without subscription, others will follow and abandon the subscription model especially if predictions of those here are correct in that the subscription model will eventually fail is true.