Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
1) Learn to quote me properly.

2) the law does not say you have to drive your damn car the day you buy it. It says “placed in service”. Given that I do not drive my car for Uber or any other type of revenue service, that leaves “in-service” up for interpretation. I do not break tax laws, but let’s be reasonable here. If you’ve paid for the car and legally own the car and have signed an application for title, there is no practical difference between it sitting in a dealer lot for 2 days or sitting on the street in front of my house. I would make that case every time to an accountant, the IRS, or a judge. But you enjoy sitting on your high horse with all the answers while the rest of us realize the world isn’t black and white. I’d venture a guess that you have never owned a business along with all the ambiguous tax decisions you would have to make each day as a business owner.
Sponsored

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1) Learn to quote me properly.

2) the law does not say you have to drive your damn car the day you buy it. It says “placed in service”. Given that I do not drive my car for Uber or any other type of revenue service, that leaves “in-service” up for interpretation. I do not break tax laws, but let’s be reasonable here. If you’ve paid for the car and legally own the car and have signed an application for title, there is no practical difference between it sitting in a dealer lot for 2 days or sitting on the street in front of my house. I would make that case every time to an accountant, the IRS, or a judge. But you enjoy sitting on your high horse with all the answers while the rest of us realize the world isn’t black and white. I’d venture a guess that you have never owned a business along with all the ambiguous tax decisions you would have to make each day as a business owner.
placed in service means exactly that for an individual but I guess you are a CPA and are now interpreting the law.

you have no clue what I did and couldn’t be more wrong and I do know the law. what I do know is that I would not sign a tax return doing what you suggest and would suggest that someone who wanted to do that find a tax preparer that matched their ethics. Preparer penalties are severe and ones integrity is not worth it, nor is a referral to OPR

I recognize the world is not black or white and survived for 45 years navigating it properly. I am not sitting on my high horse but if someone is going to make a decision on how to proceed they should know what is right and wrong and what the consequences are.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
placed in service means exactly that for an individual but I guess you are a CPA and are now interpreting the law.

you have no clue what I did and couldn’t be more wrong and I do know the law. what I do know is that I would not sign a tax return doing what you suggest and would suggest that someone who wanted to do that find a tax preparer that matched their ethics. Preparer penalties are severe and ones integrity is not worth it, nor is a referral to OPR

I recognize the world is not black or white and survived for 45 years navigating it properly. I am not sitting on my high horse but if someone is going to make a decision on how to proceed they should know what is right and wrong and what the consequences are.
While I would probably still take the risk, and the law itself says “in service”, I am willing to concede that the IRS explanatory website does say “began driving it.”

I still maintain that if a dealer is able to legally sell me the car and title it in my name, that’s good enough for me. But you do you. But I can see how you came to your conclusion as well and I respect it.

edit: keep in mind this is a big hypothetical. This assumes the dealer can legally sell the car, which I’m not sure they can if they haven’t accepted delivery from Ford, because I question if they legally own the car in which to sell you at that point. This is why my example was my situation, where the car arrived late on a Friday, and needed 1-2 days of prep along with some non business days. I don’t see how they could sell you a car that’s still sitting at a rail yard.

Also I guess I technically sat it in, turned it on, and connected FordPass, so you can argue I did “place it in service” anyway.

Last edited:

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While I would probably still take the risk, and the law itself says “in service”, I am willing to concede that the IRS explanatory website does say “began driving it.”

I still maintain that if a dealer is able to legally sell me the car and title it in my name, that’s good enough for me. But you do you. But I can see how you came to your conclusion as well and I respect it.

edit: keep in mind this is a big hypothetical. This assumes the dealer can legally sell the car, which I’m not sure they can if they haven’t accepted delivery from Ford, because I question if they legally own the car in which to sell you at that point. This is why my example was my situation, where the car arrived late on a Friday, and needed 1-2 days of prep along with some non business days. I don’t see how they could sell you a car that’s still sitting at a rail yard.

Also I guess I technically sat it in, turned it on, and connected FordPass, so you can argue I did “place it in service” anyway.
My initial response to the person was also on the understanding that he wasn’t taking ownership until 2022.

kerifarie8188

First Name
Keri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
My initial response to the person was also on the understanding that he wasn’t taking ownership until 2022.
Thank you all for the responses. I didn’t expect it to be such an unclear and controversial issue. I certainly would never intend to break the law or violate any tax codes (which is partly why I was asking). The dealership told me they do this all the time when cars are expected to deliver within a few days, but obviously that’s typically not for an electric vehicle falling just on the cusp of year end for a tax credit. If I’m not driving it off the lot this Friday I will ask our accountant what year to claim it in. But I don’t really know how it could be proven one way or another what day I took possession of the car when government documents (registration, title application) will all have today’s date on it. Fingers crossed it makes it the last 95 miles ASAP so it’s all a moot point!

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you all for the responses. I didn’t expect it to be such an unclear and controversial issue. I certainly would never intend to break the law or violate any tax codes (which is partly why I was asking). The dealership told me they do this all the time when cars are expected to deliver within a few days, but obviously that’s typically not for an electric vehicle falling just on the cusp of year end for a tax credit. If I’m not driving it off the lot this Friday I will ask our accountant what year to claim it in. But I don’t really know how it could be proven one way or another what day I took possession of the car when government documents (registration, title application) will all have today’s date on it. Fingers crossed it makes it the last 95 miles ASAP so it’s all a moot point!
as I said earlier, good luck, happy and healthy new year

Rickyricardo27

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD S & Tesla M3P
Country flag
Tesla’s model has some advantages but having experienced both, I’ll stick with Ford. There are 6 Ford dealerships in my metro area. Some are total crap and I would never work with them. The one I chose was great and the people were fantastic and honest.

There is a single Tesla service center. When my model 3 was ready for pickup, they couldn’t even get their scheduling right. I showed up on my delivery day and they said “oops we thought you weren’t coming until tomorrow. The car isn’t ready.” You have to schedule everything through the app, no talking to actual people. There is zero incentive for them to do warranty work. Doesn’t mean they deny everything, but at least the dealer makes some money off Ford for warranty repairs and has some incentive to keep you as a repeat customer.

Then again, Tesla’s problems can be fixed with competition, they are not inherent to their model. Apple has retained pretty good customer service and has always been great for warranty work, despite moving retail in-house over a decade ago. Tesla just doesn’t give a shit about their customers, and the dealer model wouldn’t change that.
I would say that I prefer the Tesla experience. I’ve purchased 2 Teslas and 6 fords. The Teslas have never been to the service center (in 3 years of ownership) except for the one time I had mobile service come to the house. Super friendly guy even had reindeer antlers on the front of his service vehicle which made my daughter’s day. Not trying to bash ford but the franchise model needs to go or they need to at least allow the manufacturers to have some direct shops if they want to. This most recent experience with spending 5 hours at the dealership and getting the antiquated sales tactics really left a sour taste. Love the car, just not sure I ever want to buy one this way again. Our Tesla we bought online, no drama. Just went and picked it up when it was ready. I inspected it myself (by choice) and just went inside to say thank you and bye. Dealers shouldn’t need an incentive to do warranty work or make you a repeat customer, they should do that because that’s their job in my opinion. Also with our ford we went all summer not being able to do the recalls because the service techs were all camping outside for 4 months (for the second time in 2 years) because of a wage dispute. I think most people would agree there’s a flaw in the system. If the franchise model worked in favor of the consumer, I’d be all for it, but the truth is that it does not.

Last edited:

Bearaka17

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Finally got some information out of my dealer. Looks like my car is in richmond which is about 50 miles out from here but its been marked do not deliver. He didnt know why and couldnt really be bothered to look into it…this sucks.

Chargernc

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE premium, Ford F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Nurse Midwife
Country flag
Finally got some information out of my dealer. Looks like my car is in richmond which is about 50 miles out from here but its been marked do not deliver. He didnt know why and couldnt really be bothered to look into it…this sucks.
Most likely you are affected by the seatbelt recall. Was your car built between 10/5 and 11/18? If so that’s probably the reason.

Bearaka17

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
Country flag
Most likely you are affected by the seatbelt recall. Was your car built between 10/5 and 11/18? If so that’s probably the reason.
Yea thats what i figured. I just wanted to know when i could get my car but the dealer just kept saying he doesnt know anything and that was that.

Chargernc

First Name
Cynthia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE premium, Ford F-150 Hybrid
Occupation
Nurse Midwife
Country flag
Yea thats what i figured. I just wanted to know when i could get my car but the dealer just kept saying he doesnt know anything and that was that.
That’s a bummer but unfortunately I dont think the dealers have any idea. When. Went to my dealer they hadn’t even heard of the recall!! It isn’t an official recall until 1/3 and that’s when they can start ordering parts. I was figuring mid-January at the earliest unfortunately…

OP
OP
SirLamerok

SirLamerok

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT PE Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think mine may be with yours. Maybe we are part of the seat belt recall. It sucks.

kerifarie8188

First Name
Keri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That totally sucks! I’m sorry!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Got the call! It just showed up at the dealer this afternoon. They are prepping it now and I go in first thing in the morning to do the paperwork. Drove over to snap a few pictures.

PXL_20211230_193453195.jpg

PXL_20211230_193405218.jpg

PXL_20211230_193530491.jpg

OP
OP
SirLamerok

SirLamerok

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT PE Cyber Orange
Country flag
Got the call! It just showed up at the dealer this afternoon. They are prepping it now and I go in first thing in the morning to do the paperwork. Drove over to snap a few pictures.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 11/01 Build week gang PXL_20211230_193530491

That's amazing news. Really glad you are getting her at the finish line.