Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Alright you all convinced me. I’m going to commit to 1PD for the next week and give it a shot. Thanks!

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
#1 - Fun
#2 - Much less brake wear so less expense and maintenance
Only thing to watch for is rust on the brake rotors. I took one of my EVs to a small shop years back, and the fellow said, you don't use the brakes enough.

I said with some pride, of course not, I am an EV driver.

To which, he replied, No, you need to use your brakes more, they are getting very rusty.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Only thing to watch for is rust on the brake rotors. I took one of my EVs to a small shop years back, and the fellow said, you don't use the brakes enough.

I said with some pride, of course not, I am an EV driver.

To which, he replied, No, you need to use your brakes more, they are getting very rusty.
Interesting. Good to know.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Pressing the brake pedal starts with regenerative braking so 1PD will make little difference in the ware of the mechanical brakes or the efficiency of the EV if you are a driver that usually spends a significant amount of time coasting before applying the brakes.
This is my thought too - if pressing the brake pedal mildly to moderately triggers regen instead of the friction brakes, why is 1PD considered superior to being able to coast to slow down when appropriate? To me, it seems it would be more efficient to be able to coast sometimes rather than switch immediately from acceleration to regen braking, when regen braking is inherently not 100% efficient - i.e. you will never be able to recapture all the energy you expend from acceleration so why not coast instead where possible.

At the very least, shouldn't 1PD be about the same as two pedal driving when the brake pedal is acting as a regen pedal?

Haven't found a good article or seen a detailed explanation that addresses these ideas and either agrees with them or refutes them. Would be much obliged if someone had a link or could just explain it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When I drive an ICE car and have to use the actual brake pedal, I find myself annoyed...
When I get back at the end of the trip and drive my truck I just hope I remember I need to use the brake ?

supertramp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Honda Pilot,2012 Honda Civic,Premium std rwd
Country flag
For those who use 1PD, what do you like about it? Why do you use it? What are the benefits? I heard that it doesn’t extend battery life.
I don't know if it extends the battery life but I always thought that the main reason to use 1PD is to get back energy from more efficient braking / regenating - that way extending your mileage. Yes, some people just like that mode, but extending range is the "free" feature of the car, seems to me - it's like free money - so, unless you really cannot stand 1PD, I do not understand the reason not to use it.

Reactions: UW2

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is my thought too - if pressing the brake pedal mildly to moderately triggers regen instead of the friction brakes, why is 1PD considered superior to being able to coast to slow down when appropriate? To me, it seems it would be more efficient to be able to coast sometimes rather than switch immediately from acceleration to regen braking, when regen braking is inherently not 100% efficient - i.e. you will never be able to recapture all the energy you expend from acceleration so why not coast instead where possible.

At the very least, shouldn't 1PD be about the same as two pedal driving when the brake pedal is acting as a regen pedal?

Haven't found a good article or seen a detailed explanation that addresses these ideas and either agrees with them or refutes them. Would be much obliged if someone had a link or could just explain it.
Sometimes yes. It also depends on if you are able to get a perfect score from the braking coach. If so, there's no need for 1PD. For the rest of it, 1PD does better than manually trying to brake just right all the time.

I use ICC a lot. That takes care of the efficiency that results from coasting.

Reactions: ARK

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Habit.
After 7 years of Volt/Bolt ownership, I could go months without ever touching the brake pedal.
Plus, Chevy EVs had a meter so that you would always know how much regen kWh you were creating at any moment, which allowed you to pace your deceleration to maximize regen while coming to a stop exactly where you needed to end up (eg, you didn’t stop short and the need to use energy to move forward).
I’ve developed good regen habits over the last 7 years.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Your understanding is correct. Both methods are able to harness the same amount of energy. Both methods require the friction brakes to come to a complete stop. Both methods have the same wear rate on the brakes. 1PD can be less fatiguing in stop and go or heavy traffic and more fatiguing on steady driving. 1PD can cause motion sickness for passengers and the driver. 1PD can coast if you find the perfect balance point.....something that comes with practice.

If you have good driving habits then either method can be very economical. 1PD is slightly less efficient but it is splitting hairs really.

If you have wasteful driving habits then 1PD can be much less effefficient and generate more heat.

I tried 1PD again today and I made it about 1 mile before I started getting nauseous.

I have no problem with L range though so I use that when needed. The benefit for me with L range is that I get (nearly) 1PD on demand and still have the creep feature when rolling to a stop. Putting my foot on the brake for the last few feet isnt a problem for me.....and it doesnt make me or my passengers sick so that is nice.

Try the various methods for yourself and see which you like. You might find that you prefer one way exclusively or different settings for different conditions.

When I had a small track day with the car then 1PD was a blast. Enjoyed that very much.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
For those who use 1PD, what do you like about it? Why do you use it? What are the benefits? I heard that it doesn’t extend battery life.
I heard on youtube that many people who drove into walls in their Teslas claiming sudden acceleration were actually confused by 1PD. If you are used to driving a gas car you keep your foot on the brake pedal when approaching an obstacle and then pushing it down. If you do the same with 1PD you get your sudden acceleration.

B25Nut

First Name
Charlee
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bsi-inc.com
Vehicles
2021 Premium MME 4EX Star White, 2019 Acura RDX,
Occupation
BSI Sales and Technical Manager
Country flag
This is my favorite quote from the Detroit Free Press article about a Mach-E cross country trip by a Tesla owner:

A feature that made the trip especially efficient, he said, is one shared by Ford and Hyundai that allows the vehicle to coast — it's called "free wheeling." The less resistance the car has, the less energy it uses, Rodriguez explained.

"You can turn off the regeneration and, if you're going down a hill, the car will do almost a neutral phase, just let it roll. You can coast to 80 mph. And you're not using any fuel," he said. "Imagine a gas car and putting it into neutral and not use gas. Tesla automatically regenerates as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, and it slows down."

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I tried 1PD again today and I made it about 1 mile before I started getting nauseous.

I have no problem with L range though so I use that when needed. The benefit for me with L range is that I get (nearly) 1PD on demand and still have the creep feature when rolling to a stop. Putting my foot on the brake for the last few feet isnt a problem for me.....and it doesnt make me or my passengers sick so that is nice.
This is what I've settled on as well. I gave OPD several college tries, but sorry I just cannot stand it. I can see how it would be appealing to some, but not my cup of tea. I've been able to hit 100% on the brake coach each time every time. I think it's because of what a previous commenter pointed out, I think I'd be classified as a "long coaster". I like to remove my foot off the gas well before an anticipated stop and coast a bit.

I LOVE that Ford has given us the option of, essentially, OPD-on-demand with the L button.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
This is what I've settled on as well. I gave OPD several college tries, but sorry I just cannot stand it. I can see how it would be appealing to some, but not my cup of tea. I've been able to hit 100% on the brake coach each time every time. I think it's because of what a previous commenter pointed out, I think I'd be classified as a "long coaster". I like to remove my foot off the gas well before an anticipated stop and coast a bit.

I LOVE that Ford has given us the option of, essentially, OPD-on-demand with the L button.
Agree. Choice is great. Nothing against those that prefer it......I think it's great they can have that feature available to them. It's just not for me I guess. I tried it again today and I was backing up to our trucks at a job site and when I stopped it was sudden and abrupt. I actually thought I hit something! Did not like that at all. For me it's most annoying at intersections because it is more notchy than I like and it doesn't creep forward at all.

I hit 100% pretty much every time.....unless someone pulls in front of me or I have to stop shorter than expected. We all get there in the end.....just in a slightly different way. :)
Sponsored