Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
#1 - Fun
#2 - Much less brake wear so less expense and maintenance
Fun is subjective, and everyone has their own opinion.

Brake wear, on the other hand, is objective. The Mach E is going to regen as much as possible regardless of which method you use, and use the mechanical brakes when necessary to meet your braking needs beyond what they have tuned the regen to be capable of.

I feel like many people on this forum don’t understand how the braking systems on these vehicles actually work.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Brake wear, on the other hand, is objective. The Mach E is going to regen as much as possible regardless of which method you use, and use the mechanical brakes when necessary to meet your braking needs beyond what they have tuned the regen to be capable of.

I feel like many people on this forum don’t understand how the braking systems on these vehicles actually work.
This is true. I've been using 1PD exclusively in the month that I've had the MME. But I've been noticing lately that my driving leg is actually getting a bit fatigued from not moving around much. So I turned off 1PD today to see how it goes. If you feather the brake pedal the same way you feather off the accelerator with 1PD, it applies the same amount of regen without engaging the friction brakes. I have no trouble getting 100% in the brake coach using the brake pedal. So neither is necessarily more or less efficient. It just changes the way you choose to control it.

AFKMind

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER, Ford F-150, 2014 V-Strom 1000
Country flag
I just moved from a Focus ST to the Mach-E. Played with the 1PD a few times to see how I liked it. I can see the appeal, however for me (just me personally) I feel it takes a little bit away.
The ST is a standard, so it felt like I had 4 states of control
1 - In Gear acceleration/driving
2 - In Gear deceleration (engine breaking)
3 - Neutral, or clutch in coasting (not used a ton, but there are cases where having 0 power going to the wheels can save you)
4 - Active braking.

with normal 2PD in Engage/Unbridled I find there's 3 states
1 - Accel/Driving
2 - Mild Regen/Decel (similar to engine braking, unless of course you are in Whisper mode, then it's almost the same as coasting), and I can press L to "gear down" as it were.
3 - Active decel/braking.

With 1PD it really feels like 2, or maybe 2.5 states
1 - Accel/Driving
2 - Active Decel/Braking
2.5 - "Where the hell did that come from?!?!"

Again, I can see the appeal, but I kinda like my little extra state of driving. I realize yes, you can modulate the accelerator to do a tiny bit of decel, but that is still to me more of an active deceleration.

To each their own, options are good.

And I wholeheartadly agree with JoeDimWit... People REALLY need to understand how the braking/regen works. Ford has been VERY forthcoming from the beginning as to how it works. It is always regen into mechanical. 1PD or Brake pedal the vehicle will always try to regen until that system has reached peak (or you're stopped) and it needs to bring in the mechanical brakes.

Edit: small mistake.

Reactions: ARK

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I just moved from a Focus ST to the Mach-E. Played with the 1PD a few times to see how I liked it. I can see the appeal, however for me (just me personally) I feel it takes a little bit away.
The ST is a standard, so it felt like I had 4 states of control
1 - In Gear acceleration/driving
2 - In Gear deceleration (engine breaking)
3 - Neutral, or clutch in coasting (not used a ton, but there are cases where having 0 power going to the wheels can save you)
4 - Active braking.

with normal 2PD in Engage/Unbridled I find there's 3 states
1 - Accel/Driving
2 - Mild Regen/Decel (similar to engine braking, unless of course you are in Whisper mode, then it's almost the same as coasting), and I can press L to "gear down" as it were.
3 - Active decel/braking.

With 1PD it really feels like 2, or maybe 2.5 states
1 - Accel/Driving
2 - Active Decel/Braking
2.5 - "Where the hell did that come from?!?!"

Again, I can see the appeal, but I kinda like my little extra state of driving. I realize yes, you can modulate the accelerator to do a tiny bit of decel, but that is still to me more of an active deceleration.

To each their own, options are good.

And I wholeheartadly agree with JoeDimWit... People REALLY need to understand how the braking/regen works. Ford has been VERY forthcoming from the beginning as to how it works. It is always regen into mechanical. 1PD or Brake pedal the vehicle will always try to regen until that system has reached peak (or you're stopped) and it needs to bring in the mechanical brakes.

Edit: small mistake.
Think of regen as being nice. Think of mechanical brakes as being not nice. Think of driving a Mach-E as being a bouncer in Roadhouse. Finally, think of the brake management as Patrick Swayze

AFKMind

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER, Ford F-150, 2014 V-Strom 1000
Country flag
Think of regen as being nice. Think of mechanical brakes as being not nice. Think of driving a Mach-E as being a bouncer in Roadhouse. Finally, think of the brake management as Patrick Swayze
"and slow down the car... with regen... until it's time to not regen" :p

But really the overall point of my rambling was just my take on the various "states of driving" and re-iterating the blended braking system.

lucy

First Name
lucy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Series 1, formerly Model S 90D
Country flag
The strong regenerative breaking is the reason I chose the Mach-E over the Audi E-tron. The total lack of regen in the Audi was a deal breaker for me, Audi is trying too hard to make their EVs like gas cars (IMHO).

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
The strong regenerative breaking is the reason I chose the Mach-E over the Audi E-tron. The total lack of regen in the Audi was a deal breaker for me, Audi is trying too hard to make their EVs like gas cars (IMHO).
e-trons have regenerative braking. You can set the level yourself, in fact, or let it do it itself in automatic mode.

If you're complaining that they don't have 1 pedal driving or that you wish they had more aggressive regen, you should find a more accurate way to say it than "total lack of regen in the Audi" which is completely false.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
This is true. I've been using 1PD exclusively in the month that I've had the MME. But I've been noticing lately that my driving leg is actually getting a bit fatigued from not moving around much. So I turned off 1PD today to see how it goes. If you feather the brake pedal the same way you feather off the accelerator with 1PD, it applies the same amount of regen without engaging the friction brakes. I have no trouble getting 100% in the brake coach using the brake pedal. So neither is necessarily more or less efficient. It just changes the way you choose to control it.
This is why I do not understand the assertion that 1PD is more engaging than 2PD. They are just different. I believe that you are just as engaged (in a different way) when lightly using the brake pedal to regen as you are in feathering off of the throttle pedal. Just different strokes.

lucy

First Name
lucy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Series 1, formerly Model S 90D
Country flag
e-trons have regenerative braking. You can set the level yourself, in fact, or let it do it itself in automatic mode.

If you're complaining that they don't have 1 pedal driving or that you wish they had more aggressive regen, you should find a more accurate way to say it than "total lack of regen in the Audi" which is completely false.
When I whine about the lack of regen during the test drive multiple times and the salesguy tells me that it is not adjustable, forgive me for believing him. Guess he just didn't want the sale. Forgive me, and enjoy your forum.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I can't take put my finger on why I prefer 1PD driving. It took a bit to get used to, but the last month it's been the only way I've driven, and I don't see myself ever going back to coasting in my Mach E. I have the stats to prove that it's only slightly, if at all, more efficient than coasting for my driving style, but I've taken to it with gusto.

One caveat is that I do think it makes me less safe as a driver when I switch to an ICE car for the first few miles as I was back into coasting. Just got up to Tacoma and have a Nissan Altima rental. The first bits leaving the SEATAC rental center and being in traffic on Interstate 5 were a little hairy lol

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
When I whine about the lack of regen during the test drive multiple times and the salesguy tells me that it is not adjustable, forgive me for believing him. Guess he just didn't want the sale. Forgive me, and enjoy your forum.
I don't think anyone was intentionally attacking you; it was clearly the Audi salesman's responsibility to have the correct information - not yours.

monolith10101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier
Country flag
We quickly got used to driving our 2019 Bolt in L, which is *almost* one-pedal. Smoothly letting off the accelerator, and using the regen paddle, became second nature pretty quickly. There’s something very satisfying about smoothly lifting off the accelerator as you’re approaching a red light and then letting the car glide to a perfect stop without using the brake pedal.

It’s just preference, but it is an enjoyable way to drive for us. Transitioning to the Mach-E’s version of one-pedal was pretty easy.

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
I just noticed my rotors were rusty yesterday. A few hard stops seems to have cleaned them off.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 1PD ... why do you use it? IMG_7263
Need to use brakes more often. The rust increases stopping time, it's like a lubricant. A more serious problem is rusty break pads, they may get damaged significantly by rust and cause loss of breaking power.