Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know the answer, and nobody outside of Tesla does it seems. But certainly there are possibilities. The frame/lower body of the Y is NOT the same as the 3. In fact it's a big deal how Tesla is going to be able to fabricate that as one piece as opposed to dozens of parts. It's very possible--likely is my guess--that there's room for a bit more battery capacity now in the Y. That's allowing them to get the same range--280 miles--with 21" wheels that they were expecting from 20" wheels. The jump to 315 miles is probably a combination of the 19" Gemini wheels and higher battery capacity. Tesla has shown that wheel size above 19" makes a pretty big dent in range.
Tesla said this in their quarterly report:

“Due to the continuous technical progress of the four-wheel drive in the Model Y, we were able to increase the maximum EPA range from 280 miles to 315 miles compared to our previous estimate,”

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E vs Model Y -- Specs and Styling Compared Tesla Graph

From the elective.com article:

"Tesla uses a graph to showcase that the range efficiency is mainly due to the efficiency of the drive: According to this, the Model Y should be able to travel 4.1 miles (approx. 6.6 kilometres) with one kilowatt-hour of electricity. For already available E-SUVs such as the Jaguar I-Pace, Mercedes EQC (not yet available in the USA), the Audi e-tron and also the new Ford Mustang Mach-E, Tesla only mentions values between 2.4 and 2.8 miles per kilowatt-hour."
Sponsored

Reactions: Nak

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Tesla said this in their quarterly report:

“Due to the continuous technical progress of the four-wheel drive in the Model Y, we were able to increase the maximum EPA range from 280 miles to 315 miles compared to our previous estimate,”

Ford Mustang Mach-E 2021 Mach-E vs Model Y -- Specs and Styling Compared Tesla Graph

From the elective.com article:

"Tesla uses a graph to showcase that the range efficiency is mainly due to the efficiency of the drive: According to this, the Model Y should be able to travel 4.1 miles (approx. 6.6 kilometres) with one kilowatt-hour of electricity. For already available E-SUVs such as the Jaguar I-Pace, Mercedes EQC (not yet available in the USA), the Audi e-tron and also the new Ford Mustang Mach-E, Tesla only mentions values between 2.4 and 2.8 miles per kilowatt-hour."
How does Tesla claim this when They don't have a Ford Mach E? Lol the car isn't even out yet and hasn't gone through EPA testing.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
How does Tesla claim this when They don't have a Ford Mach E? Lol the car isn't even out yet and hasn't gone through EPA testing.
That's an excellent point. It looks like they've just divided 270 by 99.5 (or maybe 210/75.7). We don't know the usable percentage of the battery, nor the final mileage numbers, nor the AC charger efficiency. This is a bogus calculation (and garbage chart).

UW2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
https://electrek.co/2020/02/17/tesla-teardown-6-years-lead-over-toyota-vw/

Interesting article. Makes me wonder if manufacturers like Ford will purposefully hold back their tech to protect supply chains.
I didn't check the video, but what I see Tesla doing is designing and building the vehicle like a consumer product in that it is targeting a price without concern for service/repair cost and lifecycle use after warranty. Their battery packs are glued together to increase the density and reduce weight, but that makes it non serviceable. You can't disassemble it and replace the bad cells, like you can with packs from almost all other manufacturers, which implies everyone else wants to be able to remanufacture and service cells packs.

Their use of larger casted parts in the Y means it can lower production cost, but replacing damaged parts could be more problematic since entire pieces have to be changed out even if there is only slight damage to a casted part. But since the owner or insurance company will generally be saddled with the costs, it is understandable why they go this way, repairability isn't their major concern.

Last edited:

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
not sure if already mentioned on another tesla vs ford thread, but for those still considering tesla model Y vs mach-e, like i was, and i know it's still not official, but based on what we've heard from decent sources, there will be a lease or lease-type/guaranteed buy-back program for the mach-e.

but as of now, the Y is still only a buy only option. you can lease a model 3 though.

i've never leased before and typically buy used and keep a car for 8+ years, but as the mach-e will be my 1st EV and how quickly technology seems to be changing, i have come around to really liking the lease idea.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
and i know it's still not official, but based on what we've heard from decent sources, there will be a lease or lease-type/guaranteed buy-back program for the mach-e.
Yes, there will be a 'lease-like' program. I wouldn't describe the turn in option as a 'buy back'. Ford Options will have a feature, like a normal lease, where you'll have the option to return the vehicle, but you will be responsible for excess wear/tear and excess mileage. A 'buy back' to me implies that you won't have any further obligations if you turn the vehicle in at the end of the contract term and that's not quite the case.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thanks for the clarification.

sorry, being new to leasing, do you know if i need to bring it back with a new set of tires? what if there's curb rash on the rims? or what about a few paint chips on the front bumper/hood?

when i originally thought i would buy, i planned to get a PPF/clear bra and maybe a 2nd set aftermarket rims/tires for summer use.

if we need to return it with new tires/pristine rims, i might still do the aftermarket rims/tires and take off the oem ones right after pick up and just put them back on at the end of the lease

Yes, there will be a 'lease-like' program. I wouldn't describe the turn in option as a 'buy back'. Ford Options will have a feature, like a normal lease, where you'll have the option to return the vehicle, but you will be responsible for excess wear/tear and excess mileage. A 'buy back' to me implies that you won't have any further obligations if you turn the vehicle in at the end of the contract term and that's not quite the case.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
By the time Ford ships, there might be a lease option on the Y. It will probably depend partly on supply vs. demand of the Y at that point... Why offer leases while you can sell as many as you can make...

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
thanks for the clarification.

sorry, being new to leasing, do you know if i need to bring it back with a new set of tires? what if there's curb rash on the rims? or what about a few paint chips on the front bumper/hood?

when i originally thought i would buy, i planned to get a PPF/clear bra and maybe a 2nd set aftermarket rims/tires for summer use.

if we need to return it with new tires/pristine rims, i might still do the aftermarket rims/tires and take off the oem ones right after pick up and just put them back on at the end of the lease
No problem, it can be confusing. The new program guide has not been published yet, but I'll extrapolate from the normal lease end process.

Tires: there is a minimum tread depth at turn in but they don't have to be brand new. Some wear is expected.

Paint Chips / Scratches: This is the credit card test. As long as the paint chips/scratches can be covered up, not visible, when covered by a credit card then it's fine. No more than 5 dents per body panel.

Rims: I'm not sure about those, assuming the credit card test applies here.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No problem, it can be confusing. The new program guide has not been published yet, but I'll extrapolate from the normal lease end process.

Tires: there is a minimum tread depth at turn in but they don't have to be brand new. Some wear is expected.

Paint Chips / Scratches: This is the credit card test. As long as the paint chips/scratches can be covered up, not visible, when covered by a credit card then it's fine. No more than 5 dents per body panel.

Rims: I'm not sure about those, assuming the credit card test applies here.
super useful!

will make note of the tire depth at time of lease and either just be sure to return at close to that on probably a 2nd or 3rd set of tires, or swap out rims/tires early on and sell the aftermarkets later (or use them for the next gen mach-3!). will keep a little touch-up paint around. and with all the 360 birds-eye cameras, hopefully curb rash will be less of an issue. thanks!

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By the time Ford ships, there might be a lease option on the Y. It will probably depend partly on supply vs. demand of the Y at that point... Why offer leases while you can sell as many as you can make...
totally true. if i still wanted a Y, though, i would definitely wait for an option to lease

i think whereas the last few ICE cars i felt comfortable keeping the car a long time because other than some more recent innovations (backup/parking cameras, blind spot, advanced cruise, apple carplay, etc), ICE cars haven't advanced much....

the EVs are the ones pushing the envelope (credit tesla). and as the car has become like the smart phone,which i do upgrade every 2-3 years, i'm pretty sure i'll want to do the same with my cars going forward....

tesla (and their cult followers) talk a good game about OTA/FSD, etc but i'm convinced their quality is horrendous and the OTA, while impressive, does not make it a "forever" car... i mean they now have upgrades for the MCU, hardware v3 or whatever, etc. clearly it's not all software and that in 3-5 years, the batteries will be better, chips for AI/autonomy will be faster/more capable, and i hope more wireless charging options, etc. while some of these advances may be retrofit-able to current EVs, i feel better to be able to return the vehicle and try out the latest EV designed to incorporate those innovations (and ideally with better quality/reliability)

Reactions: UW2

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
besides the whole "homelink" included or not included, it looks like the Y, at least the current release, is missing:

- rear cargo bay cover
- towing/hitch mount
- heated steering wheel
Sponsored