Tawna

First Name
Tawna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E premium
Country flag
I see a lot of different info when googling this, so thought I'd ask here. I have a 23 premium that I cannot get the auto liftgate to work, kick to open. Does it have it or not?
Sponsored

Last edited:

GatorJ_MME

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Are you referring to power lift gate (push a button, and it opens for you), or kick to open? It should have powered, but not the kick to open.

OP
OP
Tawna

Tawna

First Name
Tawna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E premium
Country flag
Are you referring to power lift gate (push a button, and it opens for you), or kick to open? It should have powered, but not the kick to open.
Kick to open. How come?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Chips in 2022. Removed in 2023.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

GatorJ_MME

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I will admit that I initially missed the nuance that it wasn’t available in the ‘23 model. I test drove a ‘21 which had it, then when looking at the ‘23 I saw powered life gate and just assumed it was included. It wasn’t until I started reading forum posts a few months ago that I realized it wasn’t being included in the ‘22 models (hence the credit listed on the window sticker), then figured out the distinction for the ‘23.

We have it on our minivan, and I think it is only marginally useful. It has closed on me twice while standing under the lift gate packing the trunk, so I’ve even considered just disabling the kick sensor.

MW1515

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
Yeah we've had kick to open on a couple of our non Ford cars in the past. Considering how infrequently it worked correctly it was not even worth having. I don't think you're missing much.

Last edited:

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I’ve found the kick to open both super useful some of the time and frustratingly disfunctional other times.

It’s quite nice when I’m trying to load my Costco haul into the back. However, with PaaK it is such a crapshoot as to when it would work. :mad:

It had worked for me 100% of the time while carrying the key fob, but I do not enjoy having that brick of a fob in my pocket when I have my phone already. I don’t even like carrying a wallet these days.

Glen Boise

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Normally, I carry my fob. I find that the kick to open usually works on my 21 Select, depending on lighting conditions, my shoe color, and the color of the pavement. On the other hand, kick to close usually does not work. It can be a nuisance when both hands are full. I wonder if there is a timer circuit shutting down the kick to ..... circuit after kicking to open. If there is, then we should be able to adjust the time.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
As a few others have said, you’re not missing much. It works about half the time. And almost never when you’re arms of full of crap and you actually need it to.

By contrast, your 2023 comes loaded with BC1.2 and a slightly largely usable battery pack. So I’d say you came out ahead.

Well, except for the price. You guys got screwed on the price hikes.

OP
OP
Tawna

Tawna

First Name
Tawna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E premium
Country flag
As a few others have said, you’re not missing much. It works about half the time. And almost never when you’re arms of full of crap and you actually need it to.

By contrast, your 2023 comes loaded with BC1.2 and a slightly largely usable battery pack. So I’d say you came out ahead.

my MSRP is 55,535..

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

I don’t think ford physically changed the battery - they just unlocked some of the reserve. I believe they unlocked reserve for earlier years as well.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I find the hands-free liftgate works well, and I’m glad I have it. I think the later model years got bit by ford’s infamous “decontenting bot” and it’s not good. Ford should at least toss that stuff into option packs, not get rid of it entirely. They should actually be ADDING features in subsequent model years, not decontenting.

Last edited:

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
It works 99% of the time for me and I use it constantly. Very handy and I'm glad it's on the car; I would miss it a lot if I didn't have it.
Sponsored

Reactions: RSH