ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
None. No loaner, no rental reimbursement, no when I asked whether they would ship the car to a Maryland dealership after the repairs.
Also the roadside service tow isn't covered either.. it was $168 through Ford, or free with my insurance provider except their tow company couldn't do an after-hours drop off so that was a $170 fee for overnight storage.

Insurance rental coverage only applies to accidents, not malfunctions.

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
Go read your car's emergency towing procedures before you need to use them.
This was super helpful on Sunday night. I had the pages on shifting to neutral and the diagram with the tow hook locations ready when the driver arrived. He was super competent, and all of that seemed to go smoothly. He thought the tow points felt a little thin, but we triple checked that they were the right locations, and it seemed to pull up onto the flatbed just fine. I'll check them for deformation when I collect the car tonight.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The same day as the se fix came out my FE was at the dealer for a general sw update.

But 22S41 & 22S29 is failing to install.:rolleyes:
Could it be that itā€™s already installed?

C5340DF2-D1E0-448F-BD54-D1AED7C09972.jpeg
Yes if you are looking at the widget data/website console data you will see that OTAs will "fail" to install when it's already installed. This is normal and eventually it will clear. Nothing to worry about.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
If Ford were smart, they'd replace the sync4 system on current Mach E's with android too. So they have one platform to focus on. Nothing better than Ford to stretch itself too thin, and cast sync4 users to the side, because the new android platform is the new hotness.
Iā€™m sure it will be supported still over a few years, I canā€™t imagine them just dumping Lightning owners a year later

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
If Ford were smart, they'd replace the sync4 system on current Mach E's with android too. So they have one platform to focus on. Nothing better than Ford to stretch itself too thin, and cast sync4 users to the side, because the new android platform is the new hotness.
It won't be that easy. The new Android system will reside on the GWM in V2 of the GWM which has double the current memory and will serve multiple purposes. V2 of the GWM is going into the Lightnings and also the 2023 model MMEs. So, all current and former MMEs won't have the correct hardware.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Youā€™re right but what a st. show that would be. Imagine bringing your car into Ford Service and having them changes entire operating system. I would want 30k cars done before mine.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Things donā€™t just immediately happen when a new lead gets hired. Iā€™m sure heā€™s working more on the new updates coming for everyone for the UX and managing the Android transition.
This will be ported to our MME's or this is something none of us cares about? So what you are saying is nobody is working to update our cars? There is the problem right there.

RWG

First Name
Randal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To all:

Yesterday I received the recall letter from Ford. I read it, then checked my vehicle Sync screen for "Software Updates" and was surprised to see that it indicated my Updates were all current. However, when you read the recall documents it explains you have the option for a dealer installed update or a DIY OTA. Personally, I found this a bit confusing so I called the Recall Support number listed on the letter.

That is when things got really interesting, or perhaps confusing.

Surprisingly, a support tech pick up fairly quickly, I only waited about a minute or so. I told the tech I got the letter but was confused because the car Sync screen says I was up to date, but there is no indication anywhere on the vehicle that indicates a software update was done yet. However, the sync screen indicated that all software was current. Then I also noticed that I had not set up automatic updates properly. I had turned Automatic Updates on, but not selected a day of the week or time for updates. The tech told me that since I had not done it correctly OTA Automatic Updates would not work. I said fine, but then why does the vehicle Sync screen indicate that no updates are needed? The tech could not answer that question, he did not know.

Furthermore, during the conversation with the tech, he said the software was being released in stages/patches, and he suggested my vehicle batch probably was not eligible yet, but he could no confirm that.

When I asked why there wasn't a log/record of software updates, he said if there was you could only go back 60 days. Really?

Bottom line:

This recall is another "cluster f**k" from Ford. The information is misleading, the support people handling the call centers do not have proper information. i.e. the guy I spoke with had no system capability to check and see what updates may or may not have been done, he was clueless.

Every Computer I have ever owned got software updates and every computer I have ever owned has a log of those updates. The Mach E does not have any software log information regarding updates. You have to guess, which is kinda stupid. I have had this vehicle for 6 months, and because of my setup error, it has probably had no software updates and there is apparently no easy way to figure out what I am missing. I would think that after 6 months there are several software updates, which is fine, but I don't know. ( However, my Ford Pass App seems to have an update every 2 to 3 weeks, which it desperately needs.)

Furthermore, if Microsoft or Apple issue a software update, there is detailed information available as to what is being changed and why. I am aware of no detailed explanation from Ford. I understand the recall issue regarding the overheating of contactors, but I would like to see what the new software is intended to do. Will it change vehicle performance and/or operational characteristics? I would suspect it does but by not advising users of what is changing, that will generate more questions, more calls to tech support, more confusion, etc, etc.

For the record. I do not agree with final solution from a software patch. Contactors are a consumable item, like tires. They wear out and ultimately need to be changed. Software cannot undo overheating collateral damage and software cannot put rubber back on a tire.

The contactors need to be replaced too.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This will be ported to our MME's or this is something none of us cares about? So what you are saying is nobody is working to update our cars? There is the problem right there.
Thereā€™s more updates coming for our cars, not sure how you read my reply and got that there wasnā€™t.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To all:

Yesterday I received the recall letter from Ford. I read it, then checked my vehicle Sync screen for "Software Updates" and was surprised to see that it indicated my Updates were all current. However, when you read the recall documents it explains you have the option for a dealer installed update or a DIY OTA. Personally, I found this a bit confusing so I called the Recall Support number listed on the letter.

That is when things got really interesting, or perhaps confusing.

Surprisingly, a support tech pick up fairly quickly, I only waited about a minute or so. I told the tech I got the letter but was confused because the car Sync screen says I was up to date, but there is no indication anywhere on the vehicle that indicates a software update was done yet. However, the sync screen indicated that all software was current. Then I also noticed that I had not set up automatic updates properly. I had turned Automatic Updates on, but not selected a day of the week or time for updates. The tech told me that since I had not done it correctly OTA Automatic Updates would not work. I said fine, but then why does the vehicle Sync screen indicate that no updates are needed? The tech could not answer that question, he did not know.

Furthermore, during the conversation with the tech, he said the software was being released in stages/patches, and he suggested my vehicle batch probably was not eligible yet, but he could no confirm that.

When I asked why there wasn't a log/record of software updates, he said if there was you could only go back 60 days. Really?

Bottom line:

This recall is another "cluster f**k" from Ford. The information is misleading, the support people handling the call centers do not have proper information. i.e. the guy I spoke with had no system capability to check and see what updates may or may not have been done, he was clueless.

Every Computer I have ever owned got software updates and every computer I have ever owned has a log of those updates. The Mach E does not have any software log information regarding updates. You have to guess, which is kinda stupid. I have had this vehicle for 6 months, and because of my setup error, it has probably had no software updates and there is apparently no easy way to figure out what I am missing. I would think that after 6 months there are several software updates, which is fine, but I don't know. ( However, my Ford Pass App seems to have an update every 2 to 3 weeks, which it desperately needs.)

Furthermore, if Microsoft or Apple issue a software update, there is detailed information available as to what is being changed and why. I am aware of no detailed explanation from Ford. I understand the recall issue regarding the overheating of contactors, but I would like to see what the new software is intended to do. Will it change vehicle performance and/or operational characteristics? I would suspect it does but by not advising users of what is changing, that will generate more questions, more calls to tech support, more confusion, etc, etc.

For the record. I do not agree with final solution from a software patch. Contactors are a consumable item, like tires. They wear out and ultimately need to be changed. Software cannot undo overheating collateral damage and software cannot put rubber back on a tire.

The contactors need to be replaced too.
The best advice I can give you is to stick to this forum for the best info on how the updates work for this vehicle and not to talk to a Tier 1 agent at Ford. They are sadly not well informed on any of it and I can see already gave you wrong info.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thereā€™s more updates coming for our cars, not sure how you read my reply and got that there wasnā€™t.
I am on 1.7.1 since February when I complained about no updates to my dealer when I had other hardware related problems. Think it was mentioned to Ford by my dealer as 2 days later it came but nothing since. Looking forward to the 7 more updates that others have got so I can discuss the fixes with everyone else here who has them. There are people that are still stuck on 1.7.1 so ya been a great experience so far.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am on 1.7.1 since February when I complained about no updates to my dealer when I had other hardware related problems. Think it was mentioned to Ford by my dealer as 2 days later it came but nothing since. Looking forward to the 7 more updates that others have got so I can discuss the fixes with everyone else here who has them. There are people that are still stuck on 1.7.1 so ya been a great experience so far.
Sorry to hear that, that sucks.
Sponsored