SteveJo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Job 1 Mach-e/X
Country flag
My biggest worry is something like a rock comes along from the road and hits that raised glass edge. Takes a chip out of it and then the chipped place becomes a crack and then your panoramic roof pulls a Tesla and flies off the car as the crack causes it to lose rigidity...

A chip like this?
Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof Pano chip (Small).JPG

BTW "losing rigidity" is seldom a good thing. :oops:
Sponsored

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
OK....I took a look at my GMC pickup and our 2019 Leaf and both of the roofs have a little height (~1/8 inch) above the windshield. I did not see any dings in the paint (both the roofs are metal). The truck is three years old. Maybe this is not an issue after all. I have not noticed any roof noise from either vehicle. If most vehicles are like this then I guess this is common practice and that area is not a magnet for small rocks from road. Probably the slipstream from the windshield is so strong that it acts as a barrier for any flying object that could hit that area. I will cease my concern in this area and redirect it toward LVB and charging issues.

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lansing, MI
Country flag
*UPDATE*
I just went for a drive after putting painters tape over the divide and the noise was gone. Even took it to the highway and got up to 92, no noise. I am in contact with Ford’s friends and family customer service team so hopefully I will be able to find a solution and keep everyone posted

So I haven’t been able to find too much information after lots of searching various forums so thought I would start this post. I was curious to see what other owners have noticed regarding the amount of wind noise coming from the front of the panoramic roof. I notice around 35 mph(radio off) that I start hearing wind noise from the roof. At 80 mph on the highway you definitely notice it. I’m wondering if this is the standard across all MMEs currently out there or is there potentially a bad seal on mine. It is tough to see in the stock photos I looked at online but here is the bit of a step up on my windshield where it meets the roof. Normal or need to get looked at?

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof Pano chip (Small).JPG

I have had my First Edition for several weeks now, and the only issue that I have had is the wind noise, which is quite noticeable. Otherwise, it’s perfect. I hope they get this resolved.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Variation compared to other Mach-Es? I haven't seen anyone else post a measurement made the same way you and I measured ours. Maybe they are all 3/16"?
Oh god, reading is fundamental. I didn't read this closely enough; was thinking you measured an FCTP:
I checked my Fiesta and it's exactly 1/8".

Musbie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Test drove a premium this afternoon. Wind noise was noticeable on top part of front windshield. Based on some other reviews, I expected to be quieter. Glass roof was also higher than windshield. Hoping it's just some cars. My Acura certainly makes more noise from engine and road but wind noise was higher in the Mach E I drove.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
My roof definitely sits more than 3/16 above the windshield, especially in the middle of the car where the wind noise presents (the gap is not consistent across the car).

The noise is present at 40 mph and increases with speed, and I drive 90% expressway miles.

I’m determined to wait until it’s warmer to silicone it, and will likely use what a member of the forum recommended.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof D72B3A4B-4FC9-497C-91ED-8269E6EF6C05

Last edited:
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lansing, MI
Country flag
I have had my First Edition for several weeks now, and the only issue that I have had is the wind noise, which is quite noticeable. Otherwise, it’s perfect. I hope they get this resolved.
Further update: the strip of blue painters tape across the seam between the two pieces of glass definitely works.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
probably should wait to see if Ford has an answer like a strip or something? Or I dont know if Ford will do anything or acknowledge.

I hear the wind noise too about 40+ mph (I have not driven faster than 60). Its not always there or may be I did not notice as my ears are still getting used to the EV sounds (mostly whiny type sounds and their frequency stays in my ears after I am out of the vehicle too) - but its there for sure.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
*2nd UPDATE*
Just heard back from the dealership service supervisor. Their glass company came out and evaluated the roof and there no found assembly defects. I was told that wind noise is coming from the step up from the windshield to the roof as I suspected as the painters tape got rid of the sounds. The service supervisor said that a Ford field engineer will have to come out and evaluate the vehicle in person. He said they could manufacture a seal across it that would work and look a lot better than the tape, but because it is so new they want Ford to look at it first and determine if it will be a larger fix(recall type of situation I’d imagine)

Very good experience so far all things considered. They are definitely a lot more attentive and quick with follow up since I’m one of the first with a Mach-e.

What’s disappointing is if it is truly that this just was never noticed in the testing cars/mules/etc before rolling out. Seems a rather large oversight from a cabin noise and also aerodynamics stand point. Will keep this updated when I hear more
I am wondering how we get Ford to make pay attention to this or acknowledge. I am sure the dealership wont do anything (I pointed out the variability in front wheel lips and how some have gaps and flex and they just shrugged and its in tolerance). Provide feedback by email to Ford Or better go through dealers

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
probably should wait to see if Ford has an answer like a strip or something? Or I dont know if Ford will do anything or acknowledge.

I hear the wind noise too about 40+ mph (I have not driven faster than 60). Its not always there or may be I did not notice as my ears are still getting used to the EV sounds (mostly whiny type sounds and their frequency stays in my ears after I am out of the vehicle too) - but its there for sure.
Test drove a Premium 4X today. Had it up to 70 specifically listening for wind noise and didn't hear anything noticeable. Glass roof was very slightly higher than windshield. It may not have been as high above the windshield as others but it's hard to tell from photos. Only had the car for about 45 minutes, so might not be a good test...

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_8175.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_8174

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I've got my fingers crossed that this issue will be addressed by Ford with something like a strip, although installing properly may require reinstalling the windshield. They could address this in the factory as their assembly tolerances were too high allowing this issue to happen, surely this would have been seen in the wind tunnel etc. with testing (not that they had a lot of time once they started customer production however.)

I was actually hoping that the issue wasn't the seam but the drip molding(s) at the front of the roof which would be an easier fix.

I've really got my fingers crossed that the issue is not as pronounced with mine when it gets here. ? :rolleyes:

You know, now that I think about it my first car, while still my all-time favorite, was nevertheless a problem child... also a red mustang (albeit from the 60s.) ? ?

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Everyone who is experiencing this issue should probably report it to their local dealership service center. The more feedback Ford has about the frequency of this issue the more attention the problem will most likely get, and thus a universal fix.

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
Everyone who is experiencing this issue should probably report it to their local dealership service center. The more feedback Ford has about the frequency of this issue the more attention the problem will most likely get, and thus a universal fix.
I would honestly wait until I hear back from the Ford field engineer. I will have the service rep alert him to this page and all. All you’ll be doing at this point is having to drive a crappy loaner a day or two and them not have a good answer for you yet until Ford decides how best to address it. Waiting a couple days won’t make too much of a difference IMO but will save everyone some inconvenience

OP
OP

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
Test drove a Premium 4X today. Had it up to 70 specifically listening for wind noise and didn't hear anything noticeable. Glass roof was very slightly higher than windshield. It may not have been as high above the windshield as others but it's hard to tell from photos. Only had the car for about 45 minutes, so might not be a good test...

Ford Mustang Mach-E [4th Update...Kinda] Wind noise from panoramic roof IMG_8174

It’s subtle. Starts at around 35mph. The louder the road(asphalt vs cement) the less noticeable it is. With the radio on you won’t notice, but once it starts you can’t not hear it