Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
This has been floating around Reddit for some time now. @breeves002 x-posted it as well on Reddit.

Personally, I have no idea where this idea of entitlement comes from that many people are claiming about the sign creator. It's about respect for others, not entitlement. The only people espousing entitlement are those selfish enough to think they shouldn't respect or be courteous to others by taking a unit way beyond their charging capacity when lower capacity units are available.

If you plug in a VW E-Golf to a 350kW unit that maxes at 50kW (when lower power units are available), that's just flat out rude and selfish (or uneducated - which is what the sign addresses). It's not the same as a gas pump as some others claim. Gas pumps are all the same, EV chargers are not.

So, I guess I'm an entitled prick (no surprise to many here) because I say if you own a Chevrolet Bolt EV/EUV, Hyundai Kona Electric, Nissan Leaf, Mazda MX-30, Mini Cooper SE, Smart EQ Fortwo, Volkswagen e-GOlf, Ford Transit EV etc you should first go for a 50kW and then a 150kW and then if none of those are open a 350kW.

If you own a MachE, you should look for a 150kW first and then if none are available a 350kW. For those of you who say "But we max the MME at 160kW and therefore we should use the 350kW", no stop being a selfish ass hat because you only save 25.2 seconds in an entire charge. I did the tests to prove it (here).

There's also a whole thing about chargers and their stated output capacities in the link above that I would recommend reading for those who don't understand how these chargers work. For the sake of this post the 50/150/350 units I referenced above would be using EA stations.

Here's the sign in question btw:

Ford Mustang Mach-E And so it begins... srry2iog3nrb1

Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
If you own a MachE, you should look for a 150kW first and then if none are available a 350kW.
Yes, I agree with this. But with one added wrinkle: if there is a dual port unit then use the dual CCS/Chademo unit last.

I typically look for EA charging in this order: Non-Chademo 150 kW > 350 kW > 150 kW Chademo Combo station.

But realistically, if it's late at night or early in the morning and the whole location is empty then I'm picking whichever 150 non-Chademo or 350 unit that aligns with how I feel like parking (even if I'm parked 'behind' the unit). I'm only going to be there for <30 minutes anyways.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
While I agree with this in a perfect world, my real life experience is such that those chargers are so unreliable, I'll connect to any one that happens to be working - if it maxes out my charge rate, even better!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Yes, I agree with this. But with one added wrinkle: if there is a dual port unit then use the dual CCS/Chademo unit last.

I typically look for EA charging in this order: Non-Chademo 150 kW > 350 kW > 150 kW Chademo Combo station.
Correct, because not only are you power sharing but you could be taking the spot of someone who needs the Chademo plug. They have very limited options.

Last edited:

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Not gonna lie, I never gave it any thought until reading this post. I suspect others don't give it any thought when pulling up to a charger. I will be more aware now.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I would be curious if the average EV owner knows how much their car maxs out at.

My guess is that most don't. And assume that the charger alone controls how much power their cars get.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Correct, because not only are you power sharing but you could be taking the spot of someone who needs the Chademo plug. They have very limited options.
This was my biggest worry driving my daughter's Leaf to LA. Thankfully the CHAdeMO ports were all free and unshared at my stops. Although after learning that the Leaf has no active battery cooling and throttles charge rate to 19kW after the battery heats up following the first DCFC, I suppose it wouldn't have mattered much.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Not gonna lie, I never gave it any thought until reading this post. I suspect others don't give it any thought when pulling up to a charger. I will be more aware now.
I would be curious if the average EV owner knows how much their car maxs out at.
This is exactly correct. Many people don't know. The sign is educating them. I agree that it could be written a little nicer, but the point is that not many people understand how this whole thing works. Not everyone is on a forum.

If I pulled up and saw that sign, looked over and the 100kW was available, I would be like ah-ha, I'll move over there so that way I'm being respectful. While I'm sitting there at the 100kW charging, I would probably go on my phone and research it to make sure I wasn't being played and in the end the sign is technically correct.

As more and more EVs are on the road it's important, for everyone, that we adhere to this because an 800v vehicle charging at a 50kW charger with a E-Golf charging at a 350kW charger next to it, means both vehicles will take forever, which equates to longer wait times for everyone in queue.

Last edited:

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

My guess is that most don't. And assume that the charger alone controls how much power their cars get.
The average owner - I guarantee they don't. I know a lot of EV owners and people like us on the forum are the 1%ers.

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
While I agree with this in a perfect world, my real life experience is such that those chargers are so unreliable, I'll connect to any one that happens to be working - if it maxes out my charge rate, even better!
You are absolutely right. EA stations in Texas on I-20 where I used to charge usually had 1-2 non-working, 1 slow (150kW with 40kW real world speed, approximately 20% SOC). That left me with 1-2 working stations out of 4 if no one was there.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I have been living on these online EV forums long enough to know fast charging etiquette, but a lot of people don't. I wonder if DCFC stations could benefit from educational signage, with tips and tricks on driving an EV.

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
How in the heck do you get your car to charge at the max rate, or even CLOSE to it?

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How in the heck do you get your car to charge at the max rate, or even CLOSE to it?
I bought a Tesla.

Although to be fair I've hit 160 (IIRC) on an EA DCFC when I've nav'd to it in the MME.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
1. Find a working 350 kW (sometimes a 150 kW) that puts out the max amperage. Amperage is the key. (those 125 kW shared units like ChargePoint are only going to max out at 75kW)

2. Be <20% SOC (road-trip is best)

3. External temperature around 80-90 degrees F. Battery warmed up.

4. Use onboard navigation routing to the charger.

Did this on our trip to/from CO this past summer. Got 160+ kW peak every time.
Sponsored