inshimbi

First Name
Mwaba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
If I were Ford, I would not want to deal with all the support request from people who left their phone in the car and don't remember their PIN code. And complaints from angry customers stranded in National Parks or the wilderness without a phone or phone signal.
That is a good point I guess. I guess given the choice between running with key vs phone, I would take phone. LOL
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
If I were Ford, I would not want to deal with all the support request from people who left their phone in the car and don't remember their PIN code. And complaints from angry customers stranded in National Parks or the wilderness without a phone or phone signal.
You'll still have your keyfob to hopefully alleviate any of these situations.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
You'll still have your keyfob to hopefully alleviate any of these situations.
I would bring a key fob as backup if I would otherwise be locked out of my car when my phone dies. Fortunately, that's not the case because the car provides PIN entry and PIN start. Therefore, I don't intend to keep my key fob with me.

I think both Tesla's key card (because it stays in the wallet and doesn't take up space) and Ford's PIN are good backup solutions. If I have to bring the key fob as backup anyways, what's the point of Phone as a Key?

OP
OP

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Lucid Red TP+
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Doesn’t the Mach-e has a numpad next to the drivers handle where you can type a pincode for opening the car? ;)

cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
I just got an automatic update today for my Apple Watch that includes support for digital car keys.

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I just got an automatic update today for my Apple Watch that includes support for digital car keys.
See above a phone, that’s what I was waiting for. Not that most of us don’t carry our phones, but being able to unlock with our watches sounds much easier

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am assuming phone as a key works just like the FFE fob. The vehicle has multiple antennas and triangulates your location and allows you to unlock the door you are near. For instance, if the vehicle is locked and I approach the rear bumper it will let me open the rear hatch but the 4 passenger doors remain locked.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Doesn’t the Mach-e has a numpad next to the drivers handle where you can type a pincode for opening the car? ;)
YES

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
if it's Bluetooth, you could conceivably pair it with a smartwatch as well - which would be actually even more awesome than a phone for smartwatch owners :)

Hplbiking

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Emgineer
Country flag
I've never looked deep into how the Phone-As-A-Key systems works. I know they generally use your phone's bluetooth connection along with an app - but I'm guessing it has some smarts to know the "range" you are from your car?

Let's say you live in a condo/apartment/townhouse and part right in front of your home - would having your phone near the car (within bluetooth range) allow it to be unlocked? I would assume not, but I'm curious as to how that works - especially given the wide range of phones that these systems support (and various Bluetooth versions, etc).

EDIT: Just googled it and found this for Lincoln, I'd assume it'll be similar on the Mach-E, very interesting!
I have read that thieves have signal booster to fool the car into thinking the key fob is right near the car. They actually sell key boxes that completely block the signal.

jdmrc93

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition in Grabber Blue
Occupation
IT Network Engineer
Country flag
Well all, I decided to re-watch WWDC 2020 and grabbed this screenshot for you when they were touting their integrations, and who they're working with. So I think it would be a VERY safe bet that it will be included.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Apple CarKey WWDC2020Cars

OP
OP

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Well all, I decided to re-watch WWDC 2020 and grabbed this screenshot for you when they were touting their integrations, and who they're working with. So I think it would be a VERY safe bet that it will be included.
I saw the WWDC myself and i saw the Ford logo but that doesn't mean that Apple CarKey IS builtin the Mach-E. Ford & Apple can decide otherwise.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I'm not saying she is the last word on this, but follow this Tweet thread that I and another posted to Emma Berg:

OP
OP

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
I asked her via Twitter and she's avoiding the "real" answer. only replies "Phone-as-a-Key".

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would bring a key fob as backup if I would otherwise be locked out of my car when my phone dies. Fortunately, that's not the case because the car provides PIN entry and PIN start. Therefore, I don't intend to keep my key fob with me.

I think both Tesla's key card (because it stays in the wallet and doesn't take up space) and Ford's PIN are good backup solutions. If I have to bring the key fob as backup anyways, what's the point of Phone as a Key?
Probably that my wife will carry the key fob, she doesn't have a phone.
Sponsored