Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
This is right... he is thinking about 2023, 2024 and beyond.... older cars only exist in the form of warranty costs on a chart.
I hope that's not true. While forward-thinking is good, they should really stop the old-school mentality of leaving previous year models in the dust. Adding new features is one of the best things about OTA updates.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
That's the optimism I'm talking about! In all seriousness, I really hope you're right. I hope Ford works toward a model that looks a little more like Tesla, where software updates help to keep older model years feeling fresh. Time will tell. I think the infotainment redesign that was announced to land this fall will be an interesting data point.
I hope they push software to the older models, for more than just parochial reasons.

Tesla resale value is partly because the cars are indistinguishable from new ones... the MME will benefit from this approach. Ultimately, the Ford brand will benefit from doing evergreen software because it will be a differentiator.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I hope that's not true. While forward-thinking is good, they should really stop the old-school mentality of leaving previous year models in the dust. Adding new features is one of the best things about OTA updates.
I'd hope its not true too... but I spend time every week with CEOs and have some idea what they spend their time on.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I fixed the above for you as it wasn't correct.

I've watched forums over the years, and it's quite amazing how literally the simplest thing people love, and hate. OMG, Start/Stop technology! THE GOBERMENT CAN'T TELL ME WHEN MY ENGINE CAN RUN! Wait, wut? They want to tell us when it's time to change the oil? No F'in way, I change my oil on the way home from the dealership, then every 5.2 days, especially if it tastes bad.

There literally is not satisfying everyone, on anything, period.
Pretty much Rick.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I hope they push software to the older models, for more than just parochial reasons.

Tesla resale value is partly because the cars are indistinguishable from new ones... the MME will benefit from this approach. Ultimately, the Ford brand will benefit from doing evergreen software because it will be a differentiator.
Wait, wait, wait just a minute there pardner. Youve been around these here parts for nigh on a year now and yet you insist on doing this logicy brain thinking stuff? Stop that, these are the forums! :p

Last edited:

Monke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Country flag
Did I just see Vapor Blue Metallic in the video?

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
It sounds like Ford needs to hire CI/CD experts who understand the challenges of rapid releases on multiple hardware and software platforms.

You might say a... @DevSecOps subject matter expert.

I understand that these things are a lot more complicated than your average CI/CD pipeline, but the yocto project, to use just one example, manages a s***load of software complexity on a number of different hardware platforms, automating simultaneous releases on all of them. From what I can tell, Ford doesn't yet have the inhouse expertise for this type of software management.

Maybe after Netflix's stock drops a bit more, Ford can acquire them 🤣🤣🤣
They hired Doug Field from Apple a year ago.

As someone that works in software, it's not a flip of a switch to change these things, it's going to take time. I'm sure he walked into a CI/CD shitshow. Change is hard and telling software teams to work/ship differently usually does not go over smoothly.

He's an excellent fit for this and I'm glad he's running the show now.

I'd bet the house that this is coming to older Mach-E's, but it's coming to 2023 models first. Remember BlueCruise is a SUBSCRIPTION and people have to pay to keep it, if they don't ship updates, people won't keep paying unless there are improvements.

Last edited:

LincolnLuvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
currently car-less, but hope to get a MME!
Country flag
This is great news! Seems like Ford is catching up to SuperCruise in terms of capability.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag

As someone that works in software, it's not a flip of a switch to change these things, it's going to take time. I'm sure he walked into a CI/CD shitshow. Change is hard and telling software teams to work/ship differently usually does not going over smoothly.

He's an excellent fit for this and I'm glad he's running the show now.

I'd bet the house that this is coming to older Mach-E's, but it's coming to 2023 models first. Remember BlueCruise is a SUBSCRIPTION and people have to pay to keep it, if they don't ship updates, people won't keep paying unless there are improvements.
just wondering... the subscription period is 3 years. is that the frequency of meaningful updates? hope not.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
just wondering... the subscription period is 3 years. is that the frequency of meaningful updates? hope not.
That's what they include, I think it could go longer if the hardware is capable. I think map updates would continue for much longer.

Another note, like others mentioned the press release would have mentioned any new hardware they were shipping with the 2023's, if that was required. They would make that a huge deal if they were using a new EyeQ chip: https://www.mobileye.com/technology/eyeq-chip/.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
While a smaller amount now, I think, Job 1 2021’s only got a year free trial so they’ll be up for renewal before everyone. Hopefully this comes before then to keep people onboard.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

As someone that works in software, it's not a flip of a switch to change these things, it's going to take time. I'm sure he walked into a CI/CD shitshow. Change is hard and telling software teams to work/ship differently usually does not going over smoothly.
True, true. I experience the same thing with $dayjob, so it's probably unrealistic to expect anything different with Ford.
Sponsored