Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I'm in the Puget Sound Region of Washington State. It has been in the 50's here and the most I have gotten out of my AWD SR MME is 171 miles at 99%. I only have 455 miles on it so far and so I am hoping to see better numbers soon.
Are you possibly saying the most you got on the GOM was 171 as opposed to the farthest you have driven on a charge was 171? The GOM estimate can be very different than what you actually get especially while the car is still learning. I took delivery of my car here in Wisconsin in February. The first two weeks I had it, the high was 14F. The lows were in the -teens. Even in those temps with cabin heat, seat heat, and steering wheel heat on, I actually drove 200+ miles on a charge. The GOM estimated about 160. Yesterday, I did a charge and the GOM now says 250. However, I am averaging 3.7 miles/kWh. That calculates out to well over 300 miles if I were to drive to empty. I am guessing the guessometer will probably estimate 275 or so after my next charge and continue to adjust over time. It learns but it learns pretty conservatively. As others have noted, multiply your miles/kWh times the size of your battery to get a better estimate. btw, mine is an AWD ER. My prior car was a Bolt EV. My car before that was a Nissan Leaf. I enjoyed the Leaf. I loved the Bolt. The Mach-E blows away the Bolt on every dimension except for miles/kWh.
Sponsored

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
My experience has been that the ā€˜rangeā€™ predicted is pessimistic. You may well be able to drive 175 miles or more with 160 miles of predicted range. Try an experiment. Write down the mileage from your odometer and the predicted range at the beginning and end of a few trips. See if you arenā€™t able to drive more miles than come off your range.

The other commenters are also correct that the cool weather will impact your predicted range. The car knows at least three things. How it has been driven recently. At what temperature. And what the temperature currently is.

When temperatures were in the 40ā€™s & 50ā€™s I was seeing 3 & 3.1 miles per kWh. Now that the temperatures are in the 70ā€™s I am seeing 3.3 & 3.5 m/kWh.

Tonite my ER AWD predicts 239 miles on a 90% charge at 60Ā° F. Extrapolate 265 miles on a full charge. 265/88= 3 m/kWh. If I get the 3.3 m/kWh I expect, my real world range would be 10% more than the pessimistic estimate. The estimate might be higher tomorrow afternoon at 70Ā° F. If I remember Iā€™ll check & post an update.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging 100% = 160 miles 8BA8B5B2-8B73-436E-BB4D-89D27B4F313B

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Remember that the GOM has no idea where you are going, what the conditions will be, how fast you will go, what the terrain will be, etc. Smartly, Ford has set it to be conservative to avoid people getting stranded and pissed. I like this approach. The GOM in our Leaf has many times led me to think I would make it, only to require a rerouting for a quick charge along the way.

Try using your navigation to see how far you will go under actual conditions. That is a much better indication that the GOM.

KennyCaphill

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium Edition AWD Standard Range
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
I'm in the Puget Sound Region of Washington State. It has been in the 50's here and the most I have gotten out of my AWD SR MME is 171 miles at 99%. I only have 455 miles on it so far and so I am hoping to see better numbers soon.
Right there with you! I'm in Seattle and most I've ever seen on the GOM is 160 at 90%. I'm really afraid to drive it unless I'm at least a 40% charge as it's 35 miles round trip to the office and if I have to run errands after work it gives me anxiety!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Right there with you! I'm in Seattle and most I've ever seen on the GOM is 160 at 90%. I'm really afraid to drive it unless I'm at least a 40% charge as it's 35 miles round trip to the office and if I have to run errands after work it gives me anxiety!
Forget the GOM and pay attention to the change in % charge that occurs when you drive to the office. It will give you a truer feel for your actual range.

I've charged to 90%, then drove 26 miles. The % charge dropped to 84 (reasonable) and the GOM actually increased by 2 miles (irrational)!

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have a strong suspicion that about every week, or maybe every other week, we'll see a new thread just like this from each new driver who doesn't quite understand how the guess-o-meter works.
and who doesn't look at the "known issues" sticky post, since it's documented on there and has been for a very long time.

of course PaaK reliability is listed on there also and yet we have a ton of threads about that too so ...

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
and who doesn't look at the "known issues" sticky post, since it's documented on there and has been for a very long time.

of course PaaK reliability is listed on there also and yet we have a ton of threads about that too so ...
Well, we have to start just directing people to that sticky whenever there's a new post like this... Or, the Post Police needs to start making arrests! ?

MachE911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE, C-Max Energi, 911
Country flag
I have a strong suspicion that about every week, or maybe every other week, we'll see a new thread just like this from each new driver who doesn't quite understand how the guess-o-meter works.
they call it the Eternal September.

rnswa

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Prem Mach-e -2016 Lex RX350 - 2004 Avalanche
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So now after putting on about 1000 miles and the temperature in the 70's I finally got 204 mile range on a full charge.
I took a road trip to Portland OR to see family. I had 170 mile range. It had me stop in Kelso to get a charge. The Electrify America recharge stations so far have worked great. Plug it in. It recognizes the car and starts charging and then charges my 500kw credit.

When we got to Portland I went out in search of a charging station. It sent me to an EVGO unit. I got a charge fault there. Navigation directed me then to a chargepoint unit at Lloyd center but when I got to where it directed me there was none to be seen. I was down to about 20 mile range at this point. Next it directed me to a Blink site at a Fred Meyer. These were very weird chargers. A small screen that you could barely read and couldn't figure them out. Decided to go back to my son's house and try plugging in there. I did that and Plugged the charger in the car and then stretched out the cable to see how far I needed to drive so that it could reach the outlet (it was in an awkward location). Got back in the car to try and drive closer but it wouldn't let me with the charger plugged in. Got out and tried to unplug it but it wouldn't come out. Did some research on this site. It said the unlock button only worked for CSS charges but I tried it anyway and that did the trick. Got enough charge (60 miles) to get me to another Electrify america location in Vancouver and then filled up again in Lacy.
Except for a little stress trying to fill up in Portland it was a good trip.

I am wondering if anybody knows if you can specify the preferred charging station for the Navigation.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So now after putting on about 1000 miles and the temperature in the 70's I finally got 204 mile range on a full charge.
I took a road trip to Portland OR to see family. I had 170 mile range. It had me stop in Kelso to get a charge. The Electrify America recharge stations so far have worked great. Plug it in. It recognizes the car and starts charging and then charges my 500kw credit.

When we got to Portland I went out in search of a charging station. It sent me to an EVGO unit. I got a charge fault there. Navigation directed me then to a chargepoint unit at Lloyd center but when I got to where it directed me there was none to be seen. I was down to about 20 mile range at this point. Next it directed me to a Blink site at a Fred Meyer. These were very weird chargers. A small screen that you could barely read and couldn't figure them out. Decided to go back to my son's house and try plugging in there. I did that and Plugged the charger in the car and then stretched out the cable to see how far I needed to drive so that it could reach the outlet (it was in an awkward location). Got back in the car to try and drive closer but it wouldn't let me with the charger plugged in. Got out and tried to unplug it but it wouldn't come out. Did some research on this site. It said the unlock button only worked for CSS charges but I tried it anyway and that did the trick. Got enough charge (60 miles) to get me to another Electrify america location in Vancouver and then filled up again in Lacy.
Except for a little stress trying to fill up in Portland it was a good trip.

I am wondering if anybody knows if you can specify the preferred charging station for the Navigation.
@rnswa While the car nav app for charging is possibly convenient, I use a phone app: PlugShare or others. Not only tells me where chargers are, but also whether they are working and available.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Right, but at least they'll get to feel good about seeing a big number.
My 2wd SR showed me 300 mile last time I had it at 100%. Makes me happy ?.

NEMuskRat

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Delorean, 2007 SC Mustang, 2018 F150 FX4, 2019 Escape
Occupation
Electron Beam Eng
Country flag
I have about 3000 miles on mine now. I work in Northern CT & live in Western Mass. From the start my fuel mileage seemed to be about 14% pessimistic. It seemed to be auto correcting.

Now at 100%, my standard battery is saying 238-240 miles. I only put on 60-65 miles/day. I will usually charge every night or other night. Pretty good for an AWD standard battery.

Originally I was pretty close coming home on a longer run. It was still pessimistic and kept telling me to fill up on way home since it did not recognize my house as a charge station.
Sponsored