Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
For the heck of it, I loaded up a Bolt Premium to may likings and somewhat near what the Mach E offers and got about a $44500 vehicle. Chevy is offering like a $9500 discount to certain qualified individuals. I was surprised the DC fast charging capability was an added on option! No thanks as I found the DC fast charging capability is not even 100kWh.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yup DCFC is an option. I made sure mine had it when I ordered it. May not need it more than once or twice but when you need it you NEED IT! LOL

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Chevy put their best & brightest EV engineers on the Bolt EV and for 2020 were proud to announce that the DCFC had finally been updated!

Did they enable 100kW DC fast charging? Nope! They did however implement a charging curve to the taper as opposed to dramatic step downs in the charge rate. 55kW max power is all the Bolt EV will take cuz apparently Chevy is stuck thinking that this whole 150kW - 350kW charging thing is just a fad.

#55kW4life

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For the heck of it, I loaded up a Bolt Premium to may likings and somewhat near what the Mach E offers and got about a $44500 vehicle. Chevy is offering like a $9500 discount to certain qualified individuals. I was surprised the DC fast charging capability was an added on option! No thanks as I found the DC fast charging capability is not even 100kWh.
In states like NJ with big state tax credits, that's under $30k. That would be tempting for the right situation (daily commuter car).

I'm looking at about $44k after federal and state tax credits for my Mach-e. But of course it's a higher grade vehicle too.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Wow, even a Model X sold more vehicles than a Bolt
Yeah the Bolt really isn't a compelling option these days as it lacks much of the tech other EVs have. Thus it will only really sell when prices are low enough to account for that...an "entry level EV" if you will.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah the Bolt really isn't a compelling option these days as it lacks much of the tech other EVs have. Thus it will only really sell when prices are low enough to account for that...an "entry level EV" if you will.
Yep. BEVs are still caught in that price gap... too expensive for less wealthy buyers, while wealthy buyers are willing to spend even more for something much nicer.

The BEV-ICE price gap needs to shrink further to reach the $20k-$30k buyer.

Case in point... look at how relatively few $43k MME Selects were reserved compared to $60k Premiums.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yep. BEVs are still caught in that price gap... too expensive for less wealthy buyers, while wealthy buyers are willing to spend even more for something much nicer.

Case in point... look at how relatively few $43k MME Selects were reserved compared to $60k Premiums.
Agreed. We bought our Leaf when end of model-series discounts brought it down to $14K. That was enough for us to jump from our Prius. Lots more of those deals will come up for end of series Bolts and others. These are great to get folks into BEVs.

I expect once the MMEs are out and available as dealer stock we'll more Select orders. The MME buyers on this forum are early adopters and more likely to be Premium (or GT) buyers.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

I think another reason why there weren't that many Selects reserved was because people wanted their cars sooner rather than later. Maybe. Obviously the GT is a different story. That variant would be worth the wait (well, not for me, but for many).

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think another reason why there weren't that many Selects reserved was because people wanted their cars sooner rather than later. Maybe. Obviously the GT is a different story. That variant would be worth the wait (well, not for me, but for many).
Could be a little of that, but I'd be surprised if it's more than a handful of buyers. For those that could afford and wanted the Premium features, I can't imagine many giving that up for the life of their ownership of the car in an attempt to get it a few months sooner.

I think for the vast majority it's a matter of (a) cost, and (b) what features they actually want (some don't want the glass roof, for instance). Mostly cost though.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup DCFC is an option. I made sure mine had it when I ordered it. May not need it more than once or twice but when you need it you NEED IT! LOL
I have it mine and have only used it once, jut to make sure that it did work. I wanted it as a "just incase I need it (sometime)"

EVer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 SuperCrew Cab, Tesla Model 3P
Country flag
I was surprised the DC fast charging capability was an added on option!
How much do they want for it? Porsche sells 150kW DCFC for $460 (for a car starting at $103,800).