RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
My MachE build date is July 2021. Over the phone, the dealer told me my VIN shows no needed updates. However it charges EXTREMELY slow once at 80%. Do you think the 21P22 update is available for my car?
What your car does has no relationship to the update. Your build date is clearly outside the window, therefore it does not qualify.

You should expect that one of two things will happen. 1) You will get an OTA update in Q1, or 2) Ford will schedule 2nd half cars for the update AFTER owners of first half cars have had their chance to update.

Since your dealer can't bill Ford, they're likely to tell you "sorry, no".
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My MachE build date is July 2021. Over the phone, the dealer told me my VIN shows no needed updates. However it charges EXTREMELY slow once at 80%. Do you think the 21P22 update is available for my car?
tell them you want it

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
What your car does has no relationship to the update. Your build date is clearly outside the window, therefore it does not qualify.

You should expect that one of two things will happen. 1) You will get an OTA update in Q1, or 2) Ford will schedule 2nd half cars for the update AFTER owners of first half cars have had their chance to update.

Since your dealer can't bill Ford, they're likely to tell you "sorry, no".
I am kinda curious about that myself. I don't want the update so I am avoiding my dealer for as long as possible. If/when Ford decides to sent this out as an OTA, do you think I will be safe since I have an early (Nov 2020) build date or is the OTA going to be sent to everybody regardless if it had already been dealer installed?

I know of at least 3 other MME owners with pre-June build dates who have no clue about this campaign and currently have no plans to visit the dealer anytime soon.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am kinda curious about that myself. I don't want the update so I am avoiding my dealer for as long as possible. If/when Ford decides to sent this out as an OTA, do you think I will be safe since I have an early (Nov 2020) build date or is the OTA going to be sent to everybody regardless if it had already been dealer installed?

I know of at least 3 other MME owners with pre-June build dates who have no clue about this campaign and currently have no plans to visit the dealer anytime soon.
Your concerns are not valid. Vehicles don't get OTA updates for updates they don't need.

Since it's not a recall, no owners are going to be told about it unless they bring their car in, which it clearly states on the notice posted on the forum.

I welcome the updates, I want the increased charging to 90% at fast chargers, the 91kWh battery capacity, and some of the other things listed. I also don't have SecuriAlerts, even though I got 1.4 and it said I was getting it.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
So can this be sent out as an OTA? I probably won’t visit the dealer till the service that would be at the 2 year point.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Your concerns are not valid. Vehicles don't get OTA updates for updates they don't need.

Since it's not a recall, no owners are going to be told about it unless they bring their car in, which it clearly states on the notice posted on the forum.

I welcome the updates, I want the increased charging to 90% at fast chargers, the 91kWh battery capacity, and some of the other things listed. I also don't have SecuriAlerts, even though I got 1.4 and it said I was getting it.
I don't think you know what is concerning me. My car's VIN is flagged for the 21P22 Customer Satisfaction Software Calibration Update but I don't want it. I would like my dealer to replace my windshield since they have done so already and their work was satisfactory. If they want to perform the pano seal as well then that is fine. I am indifferent on that issue.

My concern is that I don't want them to install the 21P22 calibrations when the vehicle is there for the glass work so I am planning to have Safelite do the windshield for me.......which of course probably means the pano seal won't happen.

If I could trust that the dealer won't install the 21P22 calibrations then I would be fine but they would probably do it anyway just so they can get the revenue from it.

I understand why many would want this update. Many wouldn't understand why I would not. It is your car.....do what you want. I believe you have that right. Just like I believe I have the right not to let Ford mess with my car. I wish Ford would ask me before changing the calibrations so I can make the choice. After all.....they call it Customer Satisfaction Program so they should satisfy me then. :)

For me it is about risk vs reward and in my mind the risks outweigh the rewards. I am happy with the car's performance except for the fact that it won't cool the battery while parked on plug outside the charge schedule. If Ford fixes that issue then I would choose to accept the associates risks with the modified calibrations. Until then.....leave my car alone please.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think your fear that a Ford dealer will update your software against your wishes is misguided.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I don't think you know what is concerning me. My car's VIN is flagged for the 21P22 Customer Satisfaction Software Calibration Update but I don't want it. I would like my dealer to replace my windshield since they have done so already and their work was satisfactory. If they want to perform the pano seal as well then that is fine. I am indifferent on that issue.

My concern is that I don't want them to install the 21P22 calibrations when the vehicle is there for the glass work so I am planning to have Safelite do the windshield for me.......which of course probably means the pano seal won't happen.

If I could trust that the dealer won't install the 21P22 calibrations then I would be fine but they would probably do it anyway just so they can get the revenue from it.

I understand why many would want this update. Many wouldn't understand why I would not. It is your car.....do what you want. I believe you have that right. Just like I believe I have the right not to let Ford mess with my car. I wish Ford would ask me before changing the calibrations so I can make the choice. After all.....they call it Customer Satisfaction Program so they should satisfy me then. :)

For me it is about risk vs reward and in my mind the risks outweigh the rewards. I am happy with the car's performance except for the fact that it won't cool the battery while parked on plug outside the charge schedule. If Ford fixes that issue then I would choose to accept the associates risks with the modified calibrations. Until then.....leave my car alone please.
What an interesting perspective.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I think your fear that a Ford dealer will update your software against your wishes is misguided.
:)
Much to learn young padawan.
The techs will do as they please and sometimes completely ignore what the service advisor writes down.

Two weeks ago....I had a tech keep our F550 for 3 extra days chasing a DTC related to the TPS even though we always tell them to ignore that code because the remote start and stop button and engine speed control in the aerial bucket will throw that code even though nothing is actually wrong. The truck went in for DEF sensor faults that limited power.

As far as my car goes.....it is going to be a crap shoot if that update occurs or not. I only have 12k miles left on my warranty so as soon as I hit 36k then I'll be in the clear because the dealer won't install it since they won't get paid. As long as the car doesn't develop some issue that requires dealer service before I hit 36k miles then I will be able to avoid that update. If not, then the tech will absolutely run the update because that is pretty much the first start of every troubleshooting process. Make sure the software is up to date and all recalls have been addressed.

One thing I have learned in my 20 years of buying Ford products (well over 100 vehicles) is that whenever Ford makes a change they only do it for one reason. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what that reason is. Every publicly traded company is in the same boat so it's not just a Ford thing....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Boy, it sure would be nice if Ford just OTA'd this to the fleet.
They've already said the updated charging was going to come out as an OTA. We just don't know which update or when. Maybe it's part of the impending 1.8.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
What an interesting perspective.
Yeah. I am probably not the normal customer. I am more fleet minded......probably because I need our 250 vehicles to perform. I think more than 100 are Ford vehicles. Overall, I have been very happy with my Mach-E. It has been great. So good that I have racked up about 24k miles in just over 9 months. Most of that for business purposes.

My only real issue so far was the half day of work that I missed because of the 1.7.1 OTA. That left me on the side of the freeway making calls to cancel my business appointments and calling for a tow truck. Luckily I was eventually able to nurse it to the dealer where they cleared the codes and ran a Self Test and sent me on my way. Car has been working great ever since.

When I say great......it lets me in, starts and goes and does everything that I need and many things that I don't need. There are some things that it doesn't do well but those things aren't essential items to me. Stuff like PaaK, lack of MyFordMobile substitute etc. Would be nice to have everything but I have enough. Pretty good car really. If it isn't broke......

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I took Marlin in this summer for a replacement battery guard rail (hardware) and they gave me PaaK software update while I waited, telling me they had done so once the car was ready.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
? ? ? ? ? ? ?

I took Marlin in this summer for a replacement battery guard rail (hardware) and they gave me PaaK software update while I waited, telling me they had done so once the car was ready.
Against your wishes? You told them "do not update my vehicle's software."

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag